Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By Hoppie

Thread: Young Engineer Relocating to Miami from the Northeast

New User

Default Young Engineer Relocating to Miami from the Northeast

Ok, so I've read some of the posts on here and I'm not scared away from Miami but I'm definitely in need of some advice. A little about me: I'm 26 years old and I'm Italian, Irish, and Polish. I like working out, playing basketball, trying new restaurants, going to concerts and sporting events, and to a lesser degree, going out to bars and clubs. My longtime girlfriend will be moving with me so chasing girls isn't my prerogative. My job location would be approximately where SW 88th Street meets the Turnpike in Kendall. I would like to live in a location where there would be a relatively large population of white young professionals. Now this isn't because I have any prejudice against the Hispanic culture. I just think that moving down there without really knowing anyone, I would like to avoid dealing with language barriers while meeting new people. My budget is approximately $1500 per month. I'd prefer a 2 bedroom apartment but I understand if I live in the southeast Miami neighborhoods a 1 bedroom will be much more realistic. The areas I have been considering east of my job site are Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Brickell, and South Miami (Dadeland area). If I live north of my job location, I would consider Doral, Pembroke Pines, and Miramar. If anyone could answer the following questions it would be GREATLY appreciated:

If I live in one of the southeast Miami communities such as Coral Gables or Coconut Grove, will the traffic still be terrible heading west in the morning and then back east in the afternoon/night?

If I live in Doral or Pembroke Pines, what kind of commute can I expect if I'm using the Turnpike?

Is there any other areas people would recommend I take a look at to live?

If you join a LA Fitness, can you use all of them in Miami?

Is the MetroRail a logical and safe option to take into Brickell or downtown Miami for a dinner date or a night out?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Default Re: Young Engineer Relocating to Miami from the Northeast

Hey Eric,
    welcome to 411 forums. Congrats on the job, although the location kind of sucks lol.

Traffic here sucks, but you'll get used to it. However, the only white young professional crowd is... nowhere. You can start with brickell, but it's more hispanic than white. Also, getting the metrorail is okay as long as you don't mind homeless and bums at night, cos they are around the stations. The Grove is probably my favorite area of all the ones you mentioned, but as I've only ever lived in South Beach, I can't give advice about living in these places. Matt will be able to help you more with that.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

Thanks Jess. I realize there will be Hispanic influence everywhere but I was wondering where there will be the most white young professionals relative to other areas where it's completely dominated by Hispanic culture. I went to college in NYC for 5 years so the homeless don't bother me. I look forward to hearing from Matt as well!

White young professionals are living in Miami Beach (South Beach).
    I lived there, it was very diverse and English was the main language, you would meet people easily if you lived in a condo tower for instance with gym, pools, ... but yes it will be far from your job location and more expensive
    Last edited by djmanu; 08-08-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Downtown Miami is your best option for what you are seeking...That has the highest percentage in my opinion. Brickell not so much, coral gables is ok and the Grove is a good option. $1500 is going to get you an open loft in Downtown Miami (about 650 sq ft), a small 1 bedroom in the Grove, nothing decent in the Gables and a small 1 bedroom in South Beach. In south Miami you might get a 2 bedroom in an old community but its not what you are looking for.

Like you said, the homeless doesn't bother you, so shoot for downtown. I have listings in my Loft 2 building and you'd probably enjoy it. Rooftop Pool & Gym, Sauna, 1st Floor Lap Pool, security, parking ,washer/dryer in unit, free cable, etc. Prices are $1500-$1650 depending on what floor you are on.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by ericjosepht View Post
    My job location would be approximately where SW 88th Street meets the Turnpike in Kendall. I would like to live in a location where there would be a relatively large population of white young professionals.
    Oh my, that is going to be fun. Although the previous posters are not as pronounced, I'd say that that chance is indeed zero. Miami is the capital of South America. If you're white, you stand out, really. I mean REALLY. White young professionals aren't a Miami staple. Young, maybe, but the other two qualifications... nah.

For the budget you have, and the location of your work, I'd rather look West of the Turnpike. You may be able to find affordable housing there. East means expensive. Obviously Kendall Drive is traffic hell either way at all times of the day. The Turnpike tends to stand still in any direction during traffic peaks as well.

Hoppie
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I'd agree that the only young white professionals are in South Beach, as they come for the beach. In my building I have a lot of Drs, and a ton of realtors. But there's no way you'd want to commute to 88th st daily from here.

Let me make this abundantly, ABUNDANTLY clear......

THERE ARE NO YOUNG WHITE PROFESSIONALS IN MIAMI.

Like, you might find a smattering of them in South Beach or Midtown or Brickell. But you might also find a smattering of Black people in Salt Lake City or Asians in Oklahoma. You get what I'm saying We're 11 percent of the population here and dwindling. That means 1 in 10. And BELIEVE me, those aren't all professionals.

Hell, until about 5-6 years ago we didn't have any young professionals period.

Also, where you're working will be a BRUTAL commute from anywhere you'd want to live other than maybe the Gables. Which is, like all of the rest of Miami not called Pinecrest, dominated by Latin culture. Miami isn't influenced by Latin Culture. It IS Latin Culture. So you are, in essence, moving to a foriegn country that happens to use dollars and play The Star Spangled Banner before sporting events. Also, the area you're working in is as Latin as it gets, so you won't be meeting many people like you.

If you want white, move to Broward. Now, that's an hour-90 minutes from your job, and will be a completely miserable experience. But here's the thing: Everyhwree has its shitty parts you have to accept. If you want to move to Chicago, you have to understand the weather will suck. If you wanna live in LA, you have to understand you'll always be sitting in traffic. If you wanna move to Miami, you have to understand you won't be around white people, or really all that many Americans. So come at your own risk, I say. Or find a job in Broward or Palm Beach County.

PLEASE tell me you read this...

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/before-moving