Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Yeah ! Miami has the lowest quality of life.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Re: Yeah ! Miami has the lowest quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    I'm moving to Lincoln Nebraska tomorrow

Again, Miami tops another " worst list." DON'T MOVE HERE !

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...miami&ir=Miami

Methodology ( sort of ) here : http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/citie...ality-of-life/
    St. Paul, Minn? Madison, Wisconsin? Minneapolis? Have the writers actually been to these places? How do you have a higher quality of life in a place where you cannot go outdoors 8 months of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Jacksonville is Big & Stupid,
    Ah, no Marc. That's ALL of Florida.
    Jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    St. Paul, Minn? Madison, Wisconsin? Minneapolis? Have the writers actually been to these places? How do you have a higher quality of life in a place where you cannot go outdoors 8 months of the year?
    Minneapolis & St. Paul is probably the most corporate area per capita in the states. Having plenty of good jobs will easily boost the Happy index. Not sure about Nebraska, though.

The only complaint I have with Miami is that the people here are very rude and disrespectful. I come from Connecticut and thought people there were cold. But that's about it. The climate, the scenery, the nightlife, the events year round, the ability to go to multiple "vacation spots" any day of the week.... it's an amazing place and i'm blessed to be living here, if only people were friendlier it would probably be the best city in the country, but then again, that's just asking too much...

EDIT: maybe 2 complaints.... 18% gratuity automatically included practically everywhere AND getting a disgusted look if you don't over tip

Name:  unhappy-waitress-300x229.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  13.2 KB
    Last edited by rosebudd; 10-20-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    Jess likes this.

You gotta stop going to the touristy spots. Hit up the local places in SoBe and they never ever add grat.

Quote Originally Posted by rosebudd View Post
    The only complaint I have with Miami is that the people here are very rude and disrespectful. I come from Connecticut and thought people there were cold. But that's about it. The climate, the scenery, the nightlife, the events year round, the ability to go to multiple "vacation spots" any day of the week.... it's an amazing place and i'm blessed to be living here, if only people were friendlier it would probably be the best city in the country, but then again, that's just asking too much...

EDIT: maybe 2 complaints.... 18% gratuity automatically included practically everywhere AND getting a disgusted look if you don't over tip
    For the rude people, are they friendlier in broward county in general ?

I've developed a new theory about rudeness in Miami.

There are two categories. The first one is some people will suspect you're an INS agent and totally ignore you and hope you don't notice them. . The second sample involves a person with a full plate on his mind, wondering if the next scheme will fall through, affording him another three month stay in Miami. These types don't acknowledge you at. If the deal doesn't fall through, it means turning yourself in at a men's camp in North Dakota and fracking away.

The 30% that remain are generally happy.

Quote Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
    For the rude people, are they friendlier in broward county in general ?
    I think people are pretty friendly in Broward. #EBIB

Quote Originally Posted by rosebudd View Post

Name:  unhappy-waitress-300x229.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  13.2 KB
    The gratuity is added because many Europeans and South Americans flat out do not tip.

Yeah if Euros and South Americans actually did their homework and realized they needed to tip in this country, we wouldn't have the auto grat. As it is, we all pay the price for their ignorance. Oh well.

Yeah I haven't been in Broward county THAT much but I have been out to few bars in Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood and girls actually talk to me there go figure, i'm just a creep in Miami apparently...

When I first moved in I was simply saying hello to my neighbors as I moved the boxes inside the apartment. Old, young, fat, white, black... and not a soul even said hi back or acknowledged my greeting, it was the most awkward thing ever. It's like I was on a rapist registry and they all knew about it (which i'm not, by the way... on any registry...to my knowledge...)
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah if Euros and South Americans actually did their homework and realized they needed to tip in this country, we wouldn't have the auto grat. As it is, we all pay the price for their ignorance. Oh well.
    More like if this country had a decent minimum wage, and looked after employees, we wouldn't have to worry so much about the ridiculous tip. Don't blame Europeans for America's lack of good salaries. I personally think 18-20% is outrageous.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    More like if this country had a decent minimum wage, and looked after employees, we wouldn't have to worry so much about the ridiculous tip. Don't blame Europeans for America's lack of good salaries. I personally think 18-20% is outrageous.
    I second that.

Can "we" also stop posting prices with sales tax excluded, please? 7% + 18% = 25%

I understand this country's anger against all taxes and the desire to shovel it in your face that it is taxes and not the business' decision, but since the vast majority of people who get it shoved in their face are actually voting US citizens, this does not make any sense to me.

If waiters and other service people don't move their ass unless they are tipped, well, we have a motivation selection item to add to their employment agreement.

Don't let your customers notice that your hiring policies suck. Don't let your customers notice that you hate taxes. Please.

Hoppie

The no tax posted thing, though, Americans understand universally. We just accept that $1.99 really means $2.15 and either bring change with us to the store or put that stuff on debit cards. Switching that up would confuse 300 million people to satisfy people new to the country. It would also PROBABLY ultimately make things more expensive, as instead of posting a sodas as consting the awkward $2.15, a store would likely just raise it to $2.50 and call it a day. That's marketing, right there.

As for tipping, well, that's this country's culture and changing that would take a long, long time. Like acceptance of homosexuality or interracial marriages or legalized marijuana. A few restaurants are starting this and I've noticed a slew of "tip included" service businesses popping up, most notably Uber. But things like massages and haircuts I've notices this too.

Here's an interesting piece from Thrillist that I didn't write that makes the case for not tipping anymore....

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/...ons-not-to-tip
    rosebudd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Here's an interesting piece from Thrillist that I didn't write that makes the case for not tipping anymore....

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/...ons-not-to-tip
    I wouldn't say he made the case. I'd say he wrote an article because he didn't like tipping and his solution is to start a 'just stop tipping' revolution. The restaurant business has been my family's livelihood so I can see both sides.

He's wrong.

Either way the customer is going to pay. You can either do it voluntarily or restaurants across the board will raise prices.

It would put the smaller, family owned restaurants out of business.

The best run restaurants only operate on about 7% net profits.

I tip based on quality of service, i have done the "asshole tip" and left 70 cents on the table for the waiter who didn't check up on me, didn't refill my coffee or come by my table often. There will always be the case to say "oh but he was busy blah blah" well it's not my problem really.

In the night scene, i see a lot of guys tip just because the waitress is cute and winked at them too which is to me the #1 most pathetic thing in the world. You get a beer and you're supposed to tip to have the bartender open the bottle for you? If a vending machine can do the same job you do and faster...it's a sign you don't deserve a tip. Or in my case, I order a glass of scotch neat and the guy pours from a bottle onto a glass, does he deserve to be tipped?

What I have been doing is leaving the tab open so then I only tip once on all the drinks I got and not based on a %, based on the service. I just work way too hard for my money to piss it away just because society tells me I should.

I once saw a bartender get ON TOP of a table, point to a guy and yell "BAD TIPPER! BAD TIPPER!! JERK!!" and the guy looked back all embarrassed. I don't think people understand what TIPPING really is, it is a voluntary token of appreciation for the service you have provided.
    Mario likes this.

"Says the European"

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    "Says the European"

:-)
    I read today that Burger King in Germany pays a standard $20 an hour.

Yes, I am European, and service is much better in countries where they are happy in the knowledge that they are still going home with money from their salary. Service in Miami Beach is disgusting usually. I only eat in local places, where tip is not included, and servers are pleasant.

Service in Miami Beach is disgusting usually. I only eat in local places, where tip is not included, and servers are pleasant.
    That's a Miami problem and a Tourist Trap problem. Same goes in Vegas, Orlando, etc.

The service industry is a huge part of Florida's economy as well as the Nation's economy. It allows people to get decent to good paying jobs without having been able to get a 4 year degree. You can make $100k+ year in high volume places and $60k-$80k/year in good volume places. My servers at Doral easily made $55k-$60k/year working a golf restaurant, nothing fancy, no auto-grat. The breakfast servers made about $50k, were home by 1PM and had most of the summer off.

I've waited on Europeans for many years and they have always preferred the service they receive in America vs. back home. And this was my experience working in Orlando near Disney, working for Disney, West Palm Beach, South Beach, & Doral.
    Mario likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    I read today that Burger King in Germany pays a standard $20 an hour.
    Repubs won't allow a higher minimum wage. That's why workers here are striking for $15/hr at various fast food places. Because their full time salary qualifies them for government assistance so in the end, we're paying so that BK, MCD, Walmart, can be billion dollar companies.

But its a free society so these people should just not work there and then maybe things would change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast