Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Yeah ! Miami has the lowest quality of life.

Default Re: Yeah ! Miami has the lowest quality of life.

Tipping is how they make their money. It's not really voluntary at all, because otherwise you just received a service for free. Yes, the restaurant is passing that cost along to you, but blame the restaurant for that. Even for the WORST service I tip well. I might tell the manager the waiter is terrible, or actually go complain, or Tweet or Facebook or something how shitty it is.

But I'm getting a service (all be it good or bad) so I'll pay for it. I don't stiff my dry cleaner if I don't like how my shirt looks. You don't stiff your lawyer if you lose. Tipping isn't socially a voluntary thing.

And YES a bartender 100% deserved a tip for opening a beer or pouring scotch into a glass. He had to take the time to do it that he could have spent helping another customer, and it's not his fault your order was simple. $1 a drink MINIMUM, or 20-25% on a tab or, yes, you absolutely deserved to be called out in front of an entire restaurant.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    I read today that Burger King in Germany pays a standard $20 an hour.
    An excellent case for doing away with the counter-productive minimum wage. Germany doesn't have any.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Germany has a minimum wage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/op...imum-wage.html

Last week (in July) the lower house of Parliament in Germany voted to set a nationwide minimum wage of 8.50 euros an hour, about $11.60, effective in 2015. The upper house is expected to approve the measure this week. With the passage of it, Germany, France, Britain and the Netherlands have or soon will have higher minimum wages than the current and proposed minimums in the United States, and only six countries in the European Union will be without a statutory minimum wage: Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Italy and Sweden.

Hoppie

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    That's a Miami problem and a Tourist Trap problem. Same goes in Vegas, Orlando, etc.

The service industry is a huge part of Florida's economy as well as the Nation's economy. It allows people to get decent to good paying jobs without having been able to get a 4 year degree. You can make $100k+ year in high volume places and $60k-$80k/year in good volume places. My servers at Doral easily made $55k-$60k/year working a golf restaurant, nothing fancy, no auto-grat. The breakfast servers made about $50k, were home by 1PM and had most of the summer off.

I've waited on Europeans for many years and they have always preferred the service they receive in America vs. back home. And this was my experience working in Orlando near Disney, working for Disney, West Palm Beach, South Beach, & Doral.
    Yes, across the board most Europeans and South Americans prefer the service over here as opposed to their home country and I've also waited tables in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina where the suggested gratuity is not printed on the check.

While my husband was consulting, he worked with a very high end restaurant and had many life long, professional waiters who made over $100,000 a year. These gentlemen have raised families, put their kids through college etc.

Can you imagine telling them they are going from six figures to $30,000 a year? Like communism, some things sound great in theory but absolutely are horrible in practice.
    Marc Middleton likes this.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppie View Post
    Germany has a minimum wage.

...effective in 2015.
    It is still 2014. Perhaps you meant to say, Germany will have a minimum wage.

The minimum wage starting next year has no bearing on the current pay for BK employees we're discussing. In the long run it will be a drag on their economy like anywhere else it is enforced. Many countries have it on paper but don't enforce it.

You guys are missing the point. They'd still get tips, just more like 10-15% in stead of 20-25%. The point is with minimum wage they'd still be going home with money in their pocket even if they had a slow night.

Yep, it's much easier to talk to women at bars in Broward and Palm Beach than in South Beach. Unless you look like an Abercrombie model or are wearing an expensive watch, most women will treat you as if you had bubonic plague. In regards to the neighbors, some parts of Miami can be pretty transient. I've lived out far west in the suburbs and find that neighbors will talk once they warm up to you and realize you're not into anything illegal. Mistrust is widespread.
    rosebudd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Tipping is how they make their money. It's not really voluntary at all, because otherwise you just received a service for free. Yes, the restaurant is passing that cost along to you, but blame the restaurant for that. Even for the WORST service I tip well. I might tell the manager the waiter is terrible, or actually go complain, or Tweet or Facebook or something how shitty it is.

But I'm getting a service (all be it good or bad) so I'll pay for it. I don't stiff my dry cleaner if I don't like how my shirt looks. You don't stiff your lawyer if you lose. Tipping isn't socially a voluntary thing.
    Of course it's a voluntary thing. Like I said, that guy could easily be replaced with a vending machine. It is HIS JOB TO SERVE ME. That is their role! I've worked as a waited before and I never expected to be tipped, of course I did my best so that they would like my service and therefore tip me well, but I knew my job as a SERVER was to ...hmmm SERVE OTHERS. If they didn't like my service they could simply go to another restaurant and that wouldn't be good for me or the business I worked for.
    And YES a bartender 100% deserved a tip for opening a beer or pouring scotch into a glass. He had to take the time to do it that he could have spent helping another customer, and it's not his fault your order was simple. $1 a drink MINIMUM, or 20-25% on a tab or, yes, you absolutely deserved to be called out in front of an entire restaurant.
    If he doesn't take the time to help me, guess what, I'm not going back to this establishment or won't deal with this bartender in the future.
    In the words of Machete "There are two type of men in this world, those who drink, and those who pour....now pour" It's not my fault that it is his job to serve others, should I be the one that is glad because he is serving me? I'm pretty sure I can grab a college kid off the street to open bottles of beers and for less. I don't recall being in charge of guaranteeing a future for others. If they earn well or not that's not up to me, I don't go to a bar to do charity work, as terrible as it sounds. The hospitality industry is shitty, YES, i've been in it for a VERY long time in my life, but it's what I could get at the time, no one is responsible for my income other than myself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123