Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Living in Coral Gables compared to South Beach

Hi,

I will be moving to Miami in July and am debating between living in Coral Gables (where I'll be working), or in SoBe (where I'd ideally like to be).

My biggest concern is the commute. Any advice or insight in regards to what you would suggest or what I can expect would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi miamimove, welcome to the Forums!

What hours will you be working? If it is morning, and you live in South Beach, you will only need to contend with a very small amount of traffic on I-95 between the causeway and the Downtwon Miami exits. The rest of the drive should be a lot less hectic as most drivers are headed in the opposite direction.

If I had to choose between Coral Gables and South Beach, I would choose the beach. It is more condusive to walking around, and the beach is always close no matter what street you live on.

If you will be working Mon - Fri and have the weekends off, living on the beach will give you the oprrotunity to completely unwind. Whereas if you lived in the Gables and you want to go to the beach, you have to contend with weekend traffic and finding a place to park.

Where are you moving from?

What do you do?

New User

Thanks so much for the reply. Everyone on this site is extremely helpful and accommodating.

I will be graduating from the University of Michigan in April, so as you can imagine I am looking forward to the Miami weather. I grew up in Atlanta and can't wait to get back to the heat.

I am starting my career in the hospitality industry.
    I will be working about 60 hours a week with the occasional weekend and my schedule will be such that I will rarely be commuting during typical rush hour times.

It seems like I will be looking towards living in South Beach and I'm sure I will have many more questions as my move approaches.

Suzanne C

Hey Miamimove...you can sum up the difference between the two areas best by saying the Gables is more family oriented while the Beach is more for young singles...

you young?

single?

Oh, and as far as the commute? From Beach to Gables= Smooth

Welcome! Another thing I've noticed about Coral Gables is that they tend to be very anal about their regulations. For example, you can't park a pick-up truck -- even in your own driveway -- between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am!

This, from the Miami Herald:

Posted on Sat, Apr. 19, 2003

Driveway drama: Is SUV a truck in Gables?
    BY CAROLYN SALAZAR
    csalazar@herald.com

If you park your SUV in your Coral Gables driveway overnight, are you breaking the law?

That's the latest question being raised in South Florida's most appearance-conscious city, which enforces stringent rules on everything from paint to vehicles.

The city already forbids pickup trucks from parking in driveways from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Now, pickup owners are asking why SUVs and minivans are allowed to park outside at night when pickups are not.

City rules say trucks are not allowed. So, pickup owners say, shouldn't the city include SUVs in that ban?

Good question, says the city attorney.

''The city may have to look at the codes again,'' said City Attorney Elizabeth Hernandez. 'The question is now, `Do we need to clarify the rules when federal guidelines describe SUVs as trucks?' ''

This is a city, after all, that tells residents what colors they can paint their homes -- outside and inside -- and how high their grass can be. Those rules have preserved the city's historic, Mediterranean style architecture and its lush, leafy streets -- and have given it a reputation for being a bit pretentious.

But city leaders say the strict codes are far from snobbery; they are simply a way to maintain that Gables charm.

Written in the early 1970s when pickups conjured up images of laborers hauling steel or hay bales, the truck ordinance has been challenged by dozens of residents who claim it infringes on their right to drive a vehicle of their choice.

An owner of a Ford F-150, Lowell Kuvin, filed a lawsuit against the city last week after getting fined $50 for parking his truck in front of his home, which does not have a garage.

''What is he going to do, move out of the city now because he can't park his truck there?'' asks Spencer Kuvin, Lowell Kuvin's brother and attorney. ``It's ridiculous because there are bigger vehicles in his neighborhood. Some people are driving Cadillac Escalades and Chevy Suburbans -- and they don't get ticketed. That's unfair.''

Now Commissioner Wayne ''Chip'' Withers says the law needs to be revisited so the city can get a better grasp on what is or is not allowed.

As it is written now, he said, he himself may be a violator. And thousands of city residents. After all, his son's 2000 Ford Explorer sits overnight in front of his home.

''Technically, I'm in violation,'' Withers said.

LOTS OF COMPANY

If he is, then so are thousands of the city's residents.

On a recent weeknight, nearly half of the vehicles parked in driveways in many blocks throughout the city were sports utility vehicles or minivans. Some homes had up to three SUVs in the driveway.

The city has never cited an SUV or minivan for overnight driveway parking and is not likely to start doing so now, officials say. But the law's vagueness has some debating whether a better definition of a ''truck'' should exist, or whether the law should be abolished altogether.

''This is one of those things that should be explored,'' Commissioner Maria Anderson said. ``In 2003, minivans, SUVs, expensively converted army vehicles and high-end trucks are part of our living experience and a lifestyle choice, and not intended for commercial use.''

But Mayor Don Slesnick doesn't want the pickup ordinance watered down.

''We have kept this the City Beautiful by having a number of zoning codes that prevent us from looking like other cities that don't look like City Beautiful,'' Slesnick said.

Resident Linda O'Reilly, who drives a Jeep Cherokee, said the assertion that SUVs fall under the truck ordinance is ridiculous.

''They'd be crazy to enforce that law,'' she said. ``Although, I don't think pickups should be banned either.''

NOT THE SAME

Attorney Michael Hacker, who lives in Gables by the Sea, thinks SUVS should not be in the same category as trucks. His wife drives a Range Rover.

''I am definitely in favor of banning trucks,'' said Hacker. ``They are unsightly, and this is not a commercial area.''

Car industry officials say the law is discriminatory and should be re-evaluated.

''I've never heard of something like this,'' said Eron Shosteck, spokesman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. ``Obviously, no one should be discriminated against because of the type of car they drive.''

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, miamimove, welcome to MiamiBeach411.

Have you considered Mid Miami Beach?

The good thing about living in Mid Beach is it's close to the Julia Tuttle Causeway which offers fairly easy access to Coral Gables.

Maria did some walking around and saw lots of signs for rent. She posted the phone numbers here. You may want to give them call.

Good luck on finding a place to live!

New User

South Beach it is... now to find the right place.

Flamingo and the like is appealing, but at the same time I think I might be interested in something a little bit smaller.

By the way, I am looking to rent. I am probably looking to share a 2 bedroom with another young professional, but if that doesn't pan out I could also do a 1 bedroom.

Luckily, I have plenty of time to look while I enjoy my last semester of college.

On another note, how does traffic on the Julia Tuttle compare to MacArthur? From my limited previous experience it seems like MacArthur can be a pain.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

"On another note how does traffic on the Julia Tuttle compare to MacArthur. From my limited previous experience it seems like MacArthur can be a pain?"
    The MacArthur Causeway can be a pain on weekend nights and during the late afternoon on busy weekends during Season. Other than that, it's a beautiful drive (see: video).

Hi there!

I'm a big fan of the Gables, but based on what you've said here, yeah, it looks like the beach might be a good fit for you.