Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Moving From Southern California to Miami Beach: June 2016

Default Re: Moving From Southern California to Miami Beach: June 2016

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Not sure what is behind the SoCal - FL move either. In my case, I want to get back to the East Coast for more East Coast people, or at least the mindset....I'll share 2 incidents within just the past week that reinforce this.

1. I can only speak for San Diego, but I have never lived anywhere else (NY, Atlanta, SF, might have happened in OC) where I am routinely engaged in a conversation with a person and then out of the blue a 3rd party who knows the person I am talking to interrupts and starts their own conversation with the person I was talking to without even acknowledging my presence as if I do not exist. When they are done and walk away they do so without even a simple "excuse me" or pardon me for the interruption...and this same putz would be the first person to call me rude if I put them in their place and taught them some manners (which evidently their parents did not).

2. I ordered egg whites at a resto that I eat at 2-3 times/week on a regular basis. When they came out yellow (sorry, but the word "whites" is part of egg whites for a reason) I went back inside to point out I did not get what I ordered. There were people who were apologetic and told me they would get it right, but 2 or 3 times the person behind the register did not know when to shut her trap and insisted on arguing with me and they were egg whites. Ultimately, she had the balls and stupidity to tell me "if I don't like the way they were served, maybe I should go home and make them myself"...after I put her in her place via verbal golden shower, I got her fired later that day. We were both fortunate I'm not Ray Rice.

While above incidents could happen anywhere, they haven't (and I travel quite a bit) and I seem to attract or have more run ins with low class, low level achievers in SoCal that lack basic common sense and common courtesy that was drilled into my head by my father by age 5 in NY (though in all fairness I cannot comment on, nor include, LA--which I have never lived in and which is the big gorilla of SoCal). I believe I've shared several incidents from OC in the past where people would have had their heads handed to them if they tried their stunts in NYC or parts of LA or elsewhere--and rightfully so. Where do all these morons come from?...I'm sure there are SoFla stories, but these fruitcakes I run into here on a seemingly weekly basis take the cake.

As I tell people here in San Diego, I'm not looking to move to Miami Beach for the weather (though it's perfect for me 7-8 months our of the year); rather, I'm moving (or looking to) because of the people.
    Have a thought on this. Kind of a spin-off of the "grass is greener" theory. This comes naturally when you travel about away from home and where you pay your local utility bill. It's an easy trap for lack of another way explaining it. Within all my travels, the euphoria away from home and work concluded I can happily lve anywhere. Belize was the only exception. In reality, many other places I enjoyed would eventually fall into the inhospitable category if their was a few degrees more of commitment.

May 31, 2000, a MIA layover to reclaim my girl who moved to the 305 and before our trip to Irleland. I realized didn't pack any shoes other than the loafers I was wearing. The morning after in DT Miami, and after 3 shitty customer service issues, I settled on a pair of Reebook's at an establishment I could at least decipher the cussing in Spanish.

I don't doubt your experience at breakfast deep in SoCal. Customer service in Miami really sucks. It sucks more and is more pronounced when you commit to paying local utilities.

Thus is the price living amongst Sea Oats & Sea Grape.

Oh my GOD. You're moving cos OF THE PEOPLE?!?!? Are you crazy sir??

Firstly, what you described happening with the interruption and then the egg whites, well that happens in Miami all the time. In fact I had to re read your thread to figure out it wasn't miami. People here are rude every damn day.

I'm torn between laughing and crying at the grass seeming to be greener here in Miami. All I can do is assure it's not. And then wait for Matt to reply to back me up.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Oh I did 2 years in SoCal before here...people are way worse in SoCal. WAY worse. I always made the joke "I left somewhere because the people were too fake and superficial and went to miami." Speaks volumes for how shitty most SoCal people are. Exceptions as always but much as I rip Miami I'll take them over SoCal people any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Oh I did 2 years in SoCal before here...people are way worse in SoCal. WAY worse. I always made the joke "I left somewhere because the people were too fake and superficial and went to miami." Speaks volumes for how shitty most SoCal people are. Exceptions as always but much as I rip Miami I'll take them over SoCal people any day.
    I'll flow with this a bit. And I'll personalize it based on my last zip code in LA which was 90027.

SoCal is a huge geographical region encompassing ten counties. The regular Joe on the street doesn't envision Kern, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and others as SoCal.

Now back to the 323/90027 and my local take. I admit customer service has sharply fallen sharply since when I was a kid. Only three blocks from my house, all businesses are now ethnic. Fazzi's, the old ITL neighborhood deli is gone as well as Sarnos. Former has been replaced by a Lamajune place and I bet right now, an old Armenian woman is sitting on a stool with her rotting husband who's caressing some religious beads by the entrance.. A couple blocks S, it's a Central American refugee bazar. These are built in new markets that can afford to marginalize me. Smart one's stick to marketing and business principles.. and there are plenty of those left.

The sad reality is I've been out ethnicized in my home town....... And I'm a capable half breed that speaks three languages. In my case, local new business owners don't give me a F, even though I saw Shirley Temple wave her hand at me 45 years ago in front of their current establishments during Santa Claus Lane Parades on Hollywood Blvd. They get hordes on Welfare and on their holiday schedule buy up days.

That's my small niche tale in the vastness of SoCal...... Don't even get me started on SAG Cardholders & hipsters. That's another rant.

Miami I feel is even worse and that includes product, especially perishables.

For a Californian thinking about making the move, look at the map. Miami is extreme SE. Not only does customer service suck here, it's a chore to transport goods here and that obviously comes at a cost. Yesterday I filled up at a Wawa ( A marketing dude confessed to me why Miami will never get one) @ $3.32 in Greater Orlando. This mid-week, I'll fill up at Pompano and hope it lasts till my turn around. Hauling petro to Miami is going to cost you 30cents more ! SoCal .... chill out on those gas prices. We guzzle less and are closer to refineries in the Gulf.

My bottom line analysis when considering leaving what was once a great state for FL is complex. It's a give & take that boils down to what's viable and that you're still be happy with the exchange.

One thing for sure is Miami is not cheap. even with California money and the Jalapenos at Publix will only last you three days in your fridge before they rot. I miss Ralphs and home. Moving to FL was still the best decision I made. In time I learned to love the state and still retain the idea moving to Miami Beach is a sucker's play. With a few days till Ultra Music Festival, Deadmau5 beat me on that thought. Basically the same thought about customer service in MB as me. And I still opine SoBe is Hollywood Blvd with a nice beach. Memories of Shirley Temple, not included.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    I would not be concerned about the construction in Sunset Harbour, that's just temporary. It was not very long ago that south of fifth was all dug up, and more recently West Ave/Alton Rd. It is about a mile from the beach though, as noted above. The Venetian islands are expensive except for the first one - Belle Isle, which is no more so than the West Ave corridor. Another area worth considering is mid-beach.

The Ilona lofts are on Jefferson Ave, the ones on Michigan Ave are the Absolut lofts. Others in the area you can look at are Sundance, Armitage, Courts, Beach Colony, Meridian Place, Cosmopolitan, Ambassador, Washington Corner, Ocean Place, 200 Ocean, and some others. Some new ones are under construction but likely to exceed the budget. Many more choices if you include Sunset Harbour and mid-beach.

Re. whether this is a good time to buy, my guess is not. Prices have gone up 50 to 100% in the last 4 years, which means they are likely to stagnate or decline, but my crystal ball is as cloudy as anyone elses. If you don't feel very comfortable about knowing what's best maybe rent for a few months.
    Thank you, rk, for the specific advice. We will take a look at as many buildings as possible when we are in Miami this July. May also consider properties on West Ave.(are those a 20 min. walk to the beach?). Where are the new buildings under construction?

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I'm torn between laughing and crying at the grass seeming to be greener here in Miami. All I can do is assure it's not. And then wait for Matt to reply to back me up.
    Well well well... wait.

Climate San Diego - California

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
    Average high in : 65 65 66 67 69 71
    Average low in : 49 51 53 56 59 62
    Av. precipitation in :
    1.97 2.28 1.81 0.79 0.12 0.08
    Days with precipitation:
    7 7 7 5 2 1
    Hours of sunshine: 216 212 262 242 261 253
    Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    Average high in : 75 76 76 73 69 65
    Average low in : 65 67 65 61 54 48
    Av. precipitation in :
    0.04 0.04 0.16 0.55 1.02 1.54
    Days with precipitation: 0 0 1 3 4 6
    Hours of sunshine: 293 277 255 234 236 217

Climate Miami - Florida

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
    Average high in : 76 78 80 83 87 89
    Average low in : 60 62 65 68 73 76
    Av. precipitation in :
    1.61 2.24 2.99 3.15 5.35 9.69
    Days with precipitation: 6 5 6 7 10 13
    Hours of sunshine: 222 227 266 275 280 251
    Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    Average high in : 91 91 89 86 82 78
    Average low in : 77 77 76 74 68 63
    Av. precipitation in :
    6.5 8.9 9.84 6.34 3.27 2.05
    Days with precipitation: 17 16 18 15 8 7
    Hours of sunshine: 267 263 216 215 212 209

don't get me wrong....I'm an equal opportunity rip into morons when I can and I'm sure there is a moron or two in every city in the world....maybe my cup of tea has runneth over out West and the change of scenery--if and when that happens--will at least provide me with a fresh perspective...if only for 3 or 4 months.

still curious if I'll run into a guy who stuffs a pair of socks in his already tight bicycle shorts in the gym locker room to give the appearance he is more endowed than he actually is or the guy driving behind me who flips me off and honks his horn at me because I'm getting water droplets on his car as I'm trying to get the bird crap off my windshield so I can see where I'm driving...or the 3 guys who share a 2 bedroom apartment just to say they live in _____. I could probably write a book.

Firstly, what you described happening with the interruption and then the egg whites, well that happens in Miami all the time. In fact I had to re read your thread to figure out it wasn't miami. People here are rude every damn day.

Miami is not always better though. That's all I'm trying to say.

Miami is not always better though. That's all I'm trying to say.

The thick bottom line is moving to Miami is a trade off. It's the most dysfunctional city I've come across.

Name:  pub.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  46.2 KB

This bare image is from today's produce section. Very noticeable compared to grocery shopping in SoCal or Ralph's. No Dinosaur Eggs.

I exchanged edible greens for visions of Sea Grape & Oats. You have to nourish your mind as well.

Echevere: state lines don't exist as when we were kids. Your issue with egg white's might not be as grave as a rancher in Montana with his new farrier. The Earth has flattened and translations have loosened up. The only endemic remnant of SoCal are the Sea Lions of Channel Islands. And in Miami, those lines have become invincible decades ago.

Having your breakfast order f'd or bad road experiences is swatted away like mosquitos here.

C'mon dude.
    Jess likes this.

At TGI Friday's in North Miami a few months ago, I went with my (at the time) pregnant diabetic wife and mother.

Guess who didn't get their meal? ? ...yes the starving diabetic. My mother and I were done and hers came out in a 'to go box' because they figured she was tired of waiting and wanted to leave. She insisted to give it to one of the starving minimum wage employees because at this point she was refusing to eat a chicken entree out of a styrofoam box after waiting 30 minutes to eat and feasting on our side dishes.

Both our meals were messed up and not what we ordered. (sides and toppings)

The "$10 Meal & Drink" advertisement was mostly a scam since they were out of most ingredients needed to make 4/5ths of the food items offered. So the items we came there for (we researched in advance, all 3 of us decided on a qualifying meal)
    The Drink that came with mine (blueberry mojito) was done incorrectly and it wasn't even filled up more than 70% of the glass (That's how it comes the lady said, until I went by the bar and saw everyone else drinking full glasses of whatever they ordered)

no refills on beverages...

The manager had to ask us "Well what would you like me to do"

Kill yourself

Miami service is the worst. It's the trade off for sunshine year round.

New User

Moving from San Diego to Miami because of the people....?!! Ha, now i have heard it all! Miami/Miami Beach must breed the rudest people on the planet! Customer Service...?! What customer service? Moving because of the nice tropical weather and warm ocean, that makes sense!
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Miami service is the worst. It's the trade off for sunshine year round.
    But you know, Southwest Floruda manages to have good service. Same weather. No excuse.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    Thank you, rk, for the specific advice. We will take a look at as many buildings as possible when we are in Miami this July. May also consider properties on West Ave.(are those a 20 min. walk to the beach?). Where are the new buildings under construction?
    The new construction in SoFi includes: Glass, One Ocean, 321 Ocean, Marea. Coming up soon: 300 Collins, Louver House. Also to look at: the recently constructed Meridian 5 (425 Meridian), and Moravia (250-260 Collins).

Yes, West Ave is a 15 to 20 min walk to the beach. It's OK though not my favorite part of south beach, more impersonal high-rise living. The main thing in its favor is it's relatively cheaper if you want to live in a high rise with a great view of the Bay/downtown.
    Last edited by rk; 03-28-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    Jess likes this.

West Av is like Brickell. In fact I think it looks like and acts like brickell. Before I moved to it, I thought it was a boring place to live on SoBe, it doesn't feel like you live in SoBe at all.

And that's why I now love it. It's peaceful. The buildings are new, clean, well run. I liked Art Deco, and it has a college dorm vibe. But I also like clean, pool, gym, and 24 hr security.

West Av is like Brickell. In fact I think it looks like and acts like brickell. Before I moved to it, I thought it was a boring place to live on SoBe, it doesn't feel like you live in SoBe at all.

And that's why I now love it. It's peaceful. The buildings are new, clean, well run. I liked Art Deco, and it has a college dorm vibe. But I also like clean, pool, gym, and 24 hr security.
    If it's a nice place to live it's nothing like Brickell. The. Worst.
    Jess likes this.

New User

Hi Jess,

New, clean, & peaceful does sound nice, but we live in a suburb now and don't want more of the same (boring & have to drive everywhere).

Is West Av a walkable neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    If it's a nice place to live it's nothing like Brickell. The. Worst.
    And it's getting worse everyday. On the bright side, I liken it to when I worked in Mid-Wishire during construction of the underground Red Line Metro. It was a pain similar to what's happening now in Brickell. The only downside in Brickell there are too many players and independent simultaneous works all happening at the same time. Schedule of completion is unknown, then you have the stallworth owners of the strip mall across City Centre holding out as well as Eden Motel. Eventually they'll be bought out and more construction will come. That's the only way I see Perez, whose new building is touted as the most luxurious condo in Miami will sell.

Brickell is an obstacle course for the foreseeable future.

West Av is completely walkable. Don't forget, South Beach is only 1 mile wide at its widest, and 2 miles long. West Av to anything is 10 minutes.

West Av is completely walkable. Don't forget, South Beach is only 1 mile wide at its widest, and 2 miles long. West Av to anything is 10 minutes.
    To add to that, it's not like a suburb or anything. Just quieter than living near Washington Ave or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast