Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Moving From Southern California to Miami Beach: June 2016

New User

Default Moving From Southern California to Miami Beach: June 2016

Hello,

My husband and I have been visiting Miami Beach since 1994, and next year we will finally be able to move there. We live in a suburb near San Diego and will be selling our house. We are trying to decide whether we should buy or rent a condo in Miami Beach. Our son will go to Miami Beach Senior High and will be in their Scholars Academy and IB program, so we need to live in Beach High's school district. We also want to be walking distance from the beach. Our daughter will be at Florida State and we will work from home.

We are interested in Mid-Beach condos, but we don't really know the differences among the buildings (significance of year built, HOA costs, etc.) and the neighborhoods. If we buy, we expect to spend $800,000 to $900,000. However, we are worried about the long-term real estate market in this area (and the effects of climate change in the future).

Any recommendations you have about buying vs. renting, buildings & neighborhoods in mid-beach (or north beach?) will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Darlene

Default Re: Moving From Southern California to Miami Beach: June 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    Any recommendations you have about buying vs. renting, buildings & neighborhoods in mid-beach (or north beach?) will be appreciated.
    While you have a healthy budget, it would also determine the size of the place you are seeking.

I would highly recommend South of Fifth neighborhood in South Beach. Its a great area to walk around, very sought after, easy beach access, 5 star restaurants, etc.

The 2 & 3 story lofts & townhomes are the best option. Such as the 3 story unit with private outdoor terrace for $700k at The Courts off Jefferson. Nice pools & gym, garage parking for 2 cars, storage unit, guest parking, security, etc.

245 Michigan Ave has a some nice 2 story 2 bedroom lofts with 25-30ft ceilings and roof top terraces but a bit more boutique.

Regarding houses, by the time 2016 rolls around, they'll probably be $1ML for the cheapest unless it needs work.
    I have a client that just went under contract with the 2nd cheapest home in Midbeach at $850k and it needs probably $100k+ to get it 'up to date' and is 1500 sq ft.

The Mid Beach condos would also work if you needed a 3 bedroom for under $1ML. Sure the HOA fees will be over $1000/month, but you'll get a nice view! A house in an area like Surfside would be great and easily obtained for under $800k in a great neighborhood, but i don't think the kids go to Beach High.

Assuming the market continues, figure on $50k-$100k more for the same place that's on the market now.
    Anders and Clocker Sid like this.

Preferred Member

mbhs is very good, with many prominent alums, including Ross, the Dolphin's owner and yours truly. Only 5.5 hours
    drive to Gainesville, a wouldn't you rather have a daughter who is a Gator and not a Seminole?

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Clocker Sid View Post
    mbhs is very good, with many prominent alums, including Ross, the Dolphin's owner and yours truly. Only 5.5 hours
    drive to Gainesville, a wouldn't you rather have a daughter who is a Gator and not a Seminole?

Yes, but she has her heart set on FSU's musical theatre program!

New User

Thank you for all the real estate advice, Marc!

We had not considered South of Fifth, but after looking at some condos on Realtor.com, we are definitely interested in the townhomes and lofts that you mentioned. The high HOA's and older buildings in mid-beach are less appealing to us, and we don't want to pay the extra $$$ for an amazing view. We are also looking for a walkable neighborhood.

How much are the HOA fees at The Courts?

As a SC guy.... if Billy Corben says FSU has a program than that rivals Annenberg @ USC, I'm not going to argue even though I know it's BS. . I'm a Marshall School dude , but FSU theatrics has real cred.

That said,, I'd probably rent in today's market. I don't tout or make my livelihood off selling Miami. No interest there. . The gatherings of what I hear is we're in a current stagnate that might even dip. Having dropped your mid-range budget in Miami, I try to keep in tune.

With you decent war chest, you can buy time and eventually make our own demands in due course. You can afford a dictatorship position. USE IT !

South of fifth or west ave is the only area to consider in Sobe. Mid beach is very nice but why not buy a house, and stay away from the high rises?

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    Thank you for all the real estate advice, Marc!

We had not considered South of Fifth, but after looking at some condos on Realtor.com, we are definitely interested in the townhomes and lofts that you mentioned. The high HOA's and older buildings in mid-beach are less appealing to us, and we don't want to pay the extra $$$ for an amazing view. We are also looking for a walkable neighborhood.

How much are the HOA fees at The Courts?
    The Courts run a bit below $1000/month. I know cable/water/sewer/trash is included in that so to Jess's point above about buying house, figure that's a $200 /month savings. Insurance on a beach home is $5000 or so with Flood Insurance but with a condo, you only need content insurance/HO-6 policy. Then factor in never having to replace a roof (assuming there is money in the HOA's reserves) or mowing the lawn and it can really even out.

For what you are looking at, if you were buying today, this is the best deal in SoFi:
    http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A2022292/

Dirt Cheap HOA of only $300/month which is like getting a place that's $100k cheaper. Plus it has a 2 car garage instead of a parking garage. However, it doesn't have the beautiful pools & grounds that The Courts has.

A good courts option with lots of Outdoor spaces: http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A2076980/

HOA of $805/month.

As for the lofts, the IIona are one of the nicest: http://www.marcsellsmiami.com/info/p...tial/A1986759/

They are just hard to come by as inventory is slim and its mostly owner occupied and they enjoy living there.

Hope this info helps!

Mid-beach also isn't very walkable, and a real pain to get in and out of. Because you'll end up driving a LOT more than you think, believe me. SoFi is a great call as it's very walkable, as is most of South Beach.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    The Courts run a bit below $1000/month. I know cable/water/sewer/trash is included in that so to Jess's point above about buying house, figure that's a $200 /month savings. Insurance on a beach home is $5000 or so with Flood Insurance but with a condo, you only need content insurance/HO-6 policy. Then factor in never having to replace a roof (assuming there is money in the HOA's reserves) or mowing the lawn and it can really even out.

For what you are looking at, if you were buying today, this is the best deal in SoFi:

Dirt Cheap HOA of only $300/month which is like getting a place that's $100k cheaper. Plus it has a 2 car garage instead of a parking garage. However, it doesn't have the beautiful pools & grounds that The Courts has.

A good courts option with lots of Outdoor spaces:

HOA of $805/month.

As for the lofts, the IIona are one of the nicest:

They are just hard to come by as inventory is slim and its mostly owner occupied and they enjoy living there.

Hope this info helps!
    Marc, thank you! This is very helpful information, and we are now focusing on townhomes and lofts in SoFi. We will be visiting Miami this summer and will call you then to possibly see some properties.

Good luck Darlene....I, too, live in San Diego at present and was seriously contemplating a move until my largest customer got acquired earlier this year and has delayed--but not cancelled--my move to Miami Beach.

I stayed in South of Fifth last year for a month and preferred the look of the Ilona (I trust that is the property on Michigan Avenue) to The Courtyard. South of Fifth, is indeed, walkable though I think you will find every day expenses a bit more than you are used to in SD--at least if you are like me and eat out every single meal. South of Fifth has a Santa Monica feel to it--well to do area but more of a suburban feel to it (think of Montana Avenue, if you are familiar with Santa Monica).....one other area to consider in South Beach is Sunset Harbour. Many less properties available--though your possibilities increase slightly if you also consider some buildings in the Venetian Islands--just across the bridge from Sunset Harbour....perhaps Mark can chime in on possible inconveniences resulting from bridge retrofits.

Also those islands are CRAZY expensive and one of the few places where it's nearly impossible to find an apartment. South of Fifth is gonna be a better bet.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Good luck Darlene....I, too, live in San Diego at present and was seriously contemplating a move until my largest customer got acquired earlier this year and has delayed--but not cancelled--my move to Miami Beach.

I stayed in South of Fifth last year for a month and preferred the look of the Ilona (I trust that is the property on Michigan Avenue) to The Courtyard. South of Fifth, is indeed, walkable though I think you will find every day expenses a bit more than you are used to in SD--at least if you are like me and eat out every single meal. South of Fifth has a Santa Monica feel to it--well to do area but more of a suburban feel to it (think of Montana Avenue, if you are familiar with Santa Monica).....one other area to consider in South Beach is Sunset Harbour. Many less properties available--though your possibilities increase slightly if you also consider some buildings in the Venetian Islands--just across the bridge from Sunset Harbour....perhaps Mark can chime in on possible inconveniences resulting from bridge retrofits.
    Thank you so much for this info! Yes, we are familiar with Montana Ave., and from what we have seen online the Absolut Lofts also look great (love the big windows). Being able to walk to the beach is a huge priority to us, so we probably need to stay with South of Fifth.

Sunset Harbour is a dug up mess at the moment with no end in sight. I'd avoid.

Who's noticed this trend here of SoCal types moving to Miami/Fl ?

Seems to be a new epidemic. Remember when Madonna & Stallone were the first to make the foray decades ago. Thy was short termed, but normal types like us, have stuck around beyond the proverbial "two year" rule.

Florida is a great place to "dummy down." As a native Californian, there have been some challenges and trade-offs. With each passing year it becomes easier.

I divide my time in Fl 70/30 favoring Central Florida over Miami. That's the formula that works best for me right now and not an indictment of one place over the other. I prefer mellowness at my stage..... But that can change.

My sister, who lived in Rancho Bernardo,(N San Diego) also made the FL move. She's a Stepford Wife and has settled in Celebration,FL. Prices there in 02 lured me, but I settled in woody Polk County, 22 mi SW... & Miami. Being here 12 years, I'm still shocked when I drive home and am welcomed by a sign that reads; "Welcome to Polk County." Previous to that, down the hill and a few blocks from where I lived, I found one day a city sign that read "Little Armenia." I prefer the Polk County sign and with that, realized CA is in shambles and now you have to request a glass of water at restaurants.

As far as FSU/Tallahassee, that's a different animal, though as I alluded to, it's film and theatrical departments are top notch. I'll be there tomorrow helping a niece move there for her first esquire gig. Last week she dined at Pump in W Hollywood and realizes Cracker Barrel might be her best dinning option... But she knows what's best.

From one Californian to another; Good luck with the move.

You expect that to still remain the case when the OP moves here in 15 months?....though, given their preference for being able to walk to the beach, I agree with SoFi as being the area (though I have managed to walk from The Gale and Redbury Hotels (on Collins, 1 minute across from the beach, depending upon traffic signal in under 20 minutes to Sunset Harbour--timed my walk from Gale to Sardinia restaurant in 17 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Sunset Harbour is a dug up mess at the moment with no end in sight. I'd avoid.

Not sure what is behind the SoCal - FL move either. In my case, I want to get back to the East Coast for more East Coast people, or at least the mindset....I'll share 2 incidents within just the past week that reinforce this.

1. I can only speak for San Diego, but I have never lived anywhere else (NY, Atlanta, SF, might have happened in OC) where I am routinely engaged in a conversation with a person and then out of the blue a 3rd party who knows the person I am talking to interrupts and starts their own conversation with the person I was talking to without even acknowledging my presence as if I do not exist. When they are done and walk away they do so without even a simple "excuse me" or pardon me for the interruption...and this same putz would be the first person to call me rude if I put them in their place and taught them some manners (which evidently their parents did not).

2. I ordered egg whites at a resto that I eat at 2-3 times/week on a regular basis. When they came out yellow (sorry, but the word "whites" is part of egg whites for a reason) I went back inside to point out I did not get what I ordered. There were people who were apologetic and told me they would get it right, but 2 or 3 times the person behind the register did not know when to shut her trap and insisted on arguing with me and they were egg whites. Ultimately, she had the balls and stupidity to tell me "if I don't like the way they were served, maybe I should go home and make them myself"...after I put her in her place via verbal golden shower, I got her fired later that day. We were both fortunate I'm not Ray Rice.

While above incidents could happen anywhere, they haven't (and I travel quite a bit) and I seem to attract or have more run ins with low class, low level achievers in SoCal that lack basic common sense and common courtesy that was drilled into my head by my father by age 5 in NY (though in all fairness I cannot comment on, nor include, LA--which I have never lived in and which is the big gorilla of SoCal). I believe I've shared several incidents from OC in the past where people would have had their heads handed to them if they tried their stunts in NYC or parts of LA or elsewhere--and rightfully so. Where do all these morons come from?...I'm sure there are SoFla stories, but these fruitcakes I run into here on a seemingly weekly basis take the cake.

As I tell people here in San Diego, I'm not looking to move to Miami Beach for the weather (though it's perfect for me 7-8 months our of the year); rather, I'm moving (or looking to) because of the people.
    Last edited by elchevere; 03-20-2015 at 02:12 PM.

rk

I would not be concerned about the construction in Sunset Harbour, that's just temporary. It was not very long ago that south of fifth was all dug up, and more recently West Ave/Alton Rd. It is about a mile from the beach though, as noted above. The Venetian islands are expensive except for the first one - Belle Isle, which is no more so than the West Ave corridor. Another area worth considering is mid-beach.

The Ilona lofts are on Jefferson Ave, the ones on Michigan Ave are the Absolut lofts. Others in the area you can look at are Sundance, Armitage, Courts, Beach Colony, Meridian Place, Cosmopolitan, Ambassador, Washington Corner, Ocean Place, 200 Ocean, and some others. Some new ones are under construction but likely to exceed the budget. Many more choices if you include Sunset Harbour and mid-beach.

Re. whether this is a good time to buy, my guess is not. Prices have gone up 50 to 100% in the last 4 years, which means they are likely to stagnate or decline, but my crystal ball is as cloudy as anyone elses. If you don't feel very comfortable about knowing what's best maybe rent for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post

Re. whether this is a good time to buy, my guess is not. Prices have gone up 50 to 100% in the last 4 years, which means they are likely to stagnate or decline, but my crystal ball is as cloudy as anyone elses. If you don't feel very comfortable about knowing what's best maybe rent for a few months.
    I have clients that felt that way this time last year..so they dumped $50k or so in rent and now they are buying something that is $50k or so more expensive..so about $100k loss from waiting.

prices will continue to increase in 2015. Possibly will start to level off in 2016. Outside of Key Biscayne, prices still aren't at their 2008 peak levels.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    I would not be concerned about the construction in Sunset Harbour, that's just temporary. It was not very long ago that south of fifth was all dug up, and more recently West Ave/Alton Rd. It is about a mile from the beach though, as noted above. The Venetian islands are expensive except for the first one - Belle Isle, which is no more so than the West Ave corridor. Another area worth considering is mid-beach.

The Ilona lofts are on Jefferson Ave, the ones on Michigan Ave are the Absolut lofts. Others in the area you can look at are Sundance, Armitage, Courts, Beach Colony, Meridian Place, Cosmopolitan, Ambassador, Washington Corner, Ocean Place, 200 Ocean, and some others. Some new ones are under construction but likely to exceed the budget. Many more choices if you include Sunset Harbour and mid-beach.

Based on plenty of chatter and a few trade publications I've read, we might be ripe for a stagnation or a decline. It's of course speculative and Venezuela is very volitable right now. Even with that, I believe Miami is in initial stages of a transformative state and ready to break out and become more viable than ever.

In the long term, I'm bullish on Miami. Playing the game these next 18 mo. hoping for a reduction might be worthy to dabble into. I still think you'll recoup in the long game either way. Considering parts of MB are only 5ft above sea level is a serious consideration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast