Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Moving to Miami, I hope.

  1. #21
    New User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    8
    Likes Received
    1

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Is it safe to say many people living in Miami have a complicated love-hate relationship with the city. Considering all the negatives, for those that have stayed long what is it exactly that keeps you there?
    Last edited by almond83; 03-31-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    Jess likes this.

  2. #22
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by almond83 View Post
    Is it safe to say many people living in Miami have a complicated love-hate relationship with the city. Considering all the negatives, for those that have stayed long what is it exactly that keeps you there?
    Being a tall, educated, English-speaking, American fish in a short, uneducated, non-English speaking Latin pond.

    That and you could drop me anywhere in the city blidfolded and I could tell you the fastest way home.
    Jess likes this.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Marc Middleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    1,310
    Likes Received
    389

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post

    Unemployment's down everywhere, and according to the latest stats we're about middle of the pack. So "best economies in the country?" Maybe according to Real Estate bloggers. According to BLS we're just not the worst....http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm
    Nice stat Fox News..

    Lets include the fact that website link you provided has Unemployment numbers for Miami / Ft. Laud/ & W. Palm Beach.
    That'd be like including Philly & Baltimore & Wilmington.

    We're talking about Miami here, not W. Palm Beach. I lived there, I liked it, but NOTHING is happening in West Palm Beach. ...


    EVERYTHING is happening in Miami - The Giant Film studio coming, the potential HUGE casino & all that comes with that, widening of the cruise terminal (which is now the busiest cruise Port in Florida), the largest construction project in the U.S (City Centre), the potential Biggest Mall in the Country, the huge World Center Project in Downtown Miami, the HUB of the new high speed train..add that in to the little things like new museums that opened up or are opening up, Trump buying Doral and revamping it to a world class resort, and we're now home to the largest Boat Show & Art Show in the entire US..I'd say that's a pretty strong economy!

    Anyone who isn't working in Miami is either lazy, living off govt assistance, or has a messed up background and can't get hired without going to some day labor crap or sleazy phone sales. Anyone who wants a job and needs to work won't have a hard time finding work.

    People leave here because they hate the culture, the people, the bad driving, the hot summers, the expensive real estate, the property taxes, the high cost of living, the bad schools, the crime, traffic, etc.
    Just because someone leaves, it doesn't mean the economy sucks or there is a ceiling to what they can earn.

    Even myself, as much as I love Miami, am now planning on where to live once my little boy is ready for school in 5-6 years. I can't afford private school or a townhome in South of Fifth ($800k? $1ML?) so its either Aventura, a rental in Sunny Isles, or pack your stuff and move to Palm Beach / St. Pete / Clearwater sadly. I'm not moving to Kendall, Doral, South Miami, Miramar, Hialeah and can't afford Coral Gables (3 bedroom for $700k?)

    The only problem for me is that my business is here and business is booming...

    And my driving style fits right in so the cops leave me alone :-)
    (3 page driving record in Orlando!)

  4. #24
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by almond83 View Post
    Is it safe to say many people living in Miami have a complicated love-hate relationship with the city. Considering all the negatives, for those that have stayed long what is it exactly that keeps you there?
    Good question!

    The sunshine. Beach. I like my job. I have a job. Zero commute. No driving.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Being a tall, educated, English-speaking, American fish in a short, uneducated, non-English speaking Latin pond.

    That and you could drop me anywhere in the city blidfolded and I could tell you the fastest way home.
    Oh and my friends, including Matt who is always good for a Miami moan
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Nice stat Fox News..

    Lets include the fact that website link you provided has Unemployment numbers for Miami / Ft. Laud/ & W. Palm Beach.
    That'd be like including Philly & Baltimore & Wilmington.

    We're talking about Miami here, not W. Palm Beach. I lived there, I liked it, but NOTHING is happening in West Palm Beach. ...


    EVERYTHING is happening in Miami - The Giant Film studio coming, the potential HUGE casino & all that comes with that, widening of the cruise terminal (which is now the busiest cruise Port in Florida), the largest construction project in the U.S (City Centre), the potential Biggest Mall in the Country, the huge World Center Project in Downtown Miami, the HUB of the new high speed train..add that in to the little things like new museums that opened up or are opening up, Trump buying Doral and revamping it to a world class resort, and we're now home to the largest Boat Show & Art Show in the entire US..I'd say that's a pretty strong economy!

    Anyone who isn't working in Miami is either lazy, living off govt assistance, or has a messed up background and can't get hired without going to some day labor crap or sleazy phone sales. Anyone who wants a job and needs to work won't have a hard time finding work.

    People leave here because they hate the culture, the people, the bad driving, the hot summers, the expensive real estate, the property taxes, the high cost of living, the bad schools, the crime, traffic, etc.
    Just because someone leaves, it doesn't mean the economy sucks or there is a ceiling to what they can earn.

    Even myself, as much as I love Miami, am now planning on where to live once my little boy is ready for school in 5-6 years. I can't afford private school or a townhome in South of Fifth ($800k? $1ML?) so its either Aventura, a rental in Sunny Isles, or pack your stuff and move to Palm Beach / St. Pete / Clearwater sadly. I'm not moving to Kendall, Doral, South Miami, Miramar, Hialeah and can't afford Coral Gables (3 bedroom for $700k?)

    The only problem for me is that my business is here and business is booming...

    And my driving style fits right in so the cops leave me alone :-)
    (3 page driving record in Orlando!)
    Whoa, Nelly !

    I'm with you on that a new Miami is emerging. Calm down !

    The new proposed mall is great, but living near Torrence or Glendale, which consistently had the highest retail sale numbers didn't do me much.

    What's alarming, some might cheer this, financial services & advertising, which cater to Hispanics is about to crater. For the first time, I heard companies and banks are consolidating services and pulling out of Miami. As the Earth get's flater, Miami's geographical position in this market is about tapped out.

    Had two friends over this past week. One's an Ad exec the other into financing. Both face being relocated if they want to earn the same income. They also affirmed this a brand new trend many are facing. Losing a big account in Miami means 25 heads will be cut off.

    No doubt, Miami is repositioning. So are other companies that realize Miami isn't their best deal.

    Who knows what direction Miami is going with all these projects. The oriental official at Miami Open, who everyone mocked because she could't pronounce "30-Love," might be a clue.

    Times are changing in Miami... For sure!
    rk and Matt Meltzer like this.

  6. #26
    rk
    rk is offline
    Senior Member rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,781
    Likes Received
    258

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    I think you're on to something with that astute observation. I see the relative role of S.America/Cuba declining in Miami long term (though there is likely to be a substantial anomaly if and when Cuban relations are normalized, leading to a large numbers fleeing the homeland, initially for Miami). A greater role for the far east, middle east and Europe is on the horizon.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    RK: I've to some extent have not fully bought into Miami being a foreign city. I've made some asides playing into that but I think it's more Anglo than people realize. Note that I left LA when it was 40% Hispanic. Miami might have a higher percentage but E of 95, it's a better social class compared to CA.

    My eye-ball test says it's not as pronounced. But as mentioned, Miami is going through a Renassiance and like you, II think the Asians will be coming. As far as I can tell, they're the best developers and pouring massive to age of concrete in Miami.

    In a few years we'll be a mini Dubai my gut tells me.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Thanks to auto correct, butchered last sentence. I want to convey Asians are pouring in dough and concrete.

    All major architecturual feats in Latin America happened before the Spaniards arrived. The name fails me now, Barclenoa's main attraction is a church that's been unfinished for over a 100 years.

    Based on culture, we already have enough Frita w/chorizo places Burger Beast can feast on.

    It's time to welcome a new Miami... And I see it coming.

  9. #29
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    I like whoever said we are going to end up like Dubai. That i can fully envision.

  10. #30
    Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    789
    Likes Received
    108

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by almond83 View Post
    Spanish wouldn't be an issue; there's more incentive to learn another language. How would Tampa or Fort Lauderdale compare? Are either diverse enough?
    Miami isn't really diverse at all.

    Fort Lauderdale is much more diverse than Miami but the diversity comes from South America and the Caribbean.

    Tampa is very white.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

  11. #31
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    I love when people are moving here and they say they don't mind Spanish, it's a reason to learn the language. OMG I was the same! I had Rosetta stone and everything lol.

    Yeah, since then I threw those cds away and have learned nada. But I did have the sense to end up with a bilingual fiancÚ.

  12. #32
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Well you did learn the word "nada" Jess, so there's something.

    That said, ending up like Dubai is not a good thing. This city really had a lot of potential, but we pretty much sqaundered it the minute Miami 21 was put into action instead of, oh, say something that protected green space and made the city more livable instead of taller.
    Jess and rk like this.

  13. #33
    New User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    8
    Likes Received
    1

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Despite all of the reasons not to, I did it. I've been here two weeks , have already dealt with flooding and encountered all types of creatures on the sidewalks lol. Good thing is I found a job pretty easily. Currently I'm staying with friends in mid beach but needs advise on apartment hunting. no luck with craigslist as they never repond or seem really grimey. 1100 is my budget.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    601
    Likes Received
    75

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

    Interesting reading...I have read of tech hubs setting up in Miami, though I hope to be retired by the time I relocate to Miami...did not realize Brickell was more expensive than SoBe--at least not at the places I've looked at so far...I've never had any issues with English (and I speak fairly good conversational Spanish, though I get a headache after about 45 minutes) unless I've been operating in a bubble by spending the vast majority of my 5-6 annual visits in Brickell and SoBe (have not been to Doral, Kendall, etc...the limited time I spent in Coral Gables seemed heavily Latino) .I find Boca/Delray/Palm Beach far more homogeneous (white) and too conservative for my tastes.....and I like the shorter in Miami aspect--I find my height, 5'8", works v me in California (even though I'm in great shape, still have my full head of non gray hair, etc) and I prefer shorter/petite women and find that they look and age better in Miami (the latter due to the humidity)--at least v San Diego.
    Last edited by elchevere; 10-15-2015 at 04:27 PM.

  15. #35
    New User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Stockholm / SoFi
    Posts
    18
    Likes Received
    7

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    I always speak English on principe. Got thrown out of a store in the much dreaded Dolphin mall when the staff realized that I understood that they where mocking me in spanish! Interesting sales technique.

  16. #36
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    I'm surprised anyone would assume a person doesn't speak Spanish here.

  17. #37
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    That's a silly thing to do but people always do it.

  18. #38
    Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    789
    Likes Received
    108

    Default Re: Moving to Miami, I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I'm surprised anyone would assume a person doesn't speak Spanish here.
    While I was hostessing at Cheesecake, I was the person all guests would come up and check in with.

    Everyone always spoke their native language to me first then switched to English.

    I'm a redhead so I don't think I exactly scream any nationality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •