Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Moving to Miami from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Hi everybody!

First of all let introduce myself; My name is Arnout and with my family (wife and 1 year old) we currently live in Amsterdam but I've just been offered a job in Miami with my employer so will be moving over this summer.

As I'm completely new to the city I'm looking for some advice to find a rental house. The office is on Alhambra circle in Coral Gables so this is what I would look for:

• Short communte (30-45 mins max incl rush hour traffic)
    • 3 bedrooms
    • nice outside space for my kid to play (pref. wit pool)
    • Close to beach (not a dealbreaker)
    • safe, child-friendly neighborhood
    • 2-car parking
    • around $4000/month rent

Any advice on neighborhoods? is this a realistic within budget? Also, are there other monthly fees we need to consider? Where to look for apartments (craigslist?)?

Thanks for your advice,

Arnout

Default Re: Moving to Miami from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Hi and welcome to 411. I'm not as familiar with Coral Gables as others are so I will let them give you advice. I would not however look on craigslist for what you are searching for. You need a good realtor.

Quote Originally Posted by aboele View Post
    Hi everybody!

First of all let introduce myself; My name is Arnout and with my family (wife and 1 year old) we currently live in Amsterdam but I've just been offered a job in Miami with my employer so will be moving over this summer.

As I'm completely new to the city I'm looking for some advice to find a rental house. The office is on Alhambra circle in Coral Gables so this is what I would look for:

• Short communte (30-45 mins max incl rush hour traffic)
    • 3 bedrooms
    • nice outside space for my kid to play (pref. wit pool)
    • Close to beach (not a dealbreaker)
    • safe, child-friendly neighborhood
    • 2-car parking
    • around $4000/month rent

Any advice on neighborhoods? is this a realistic within budget? Also, are there other monthly fees we need to consider? Where to look for apartments (craigslist?)?

Thanks for your advice,

Arnout
    I think Coral Gables or Coconut Grove would be your best option. Key Biscayne would be nice, but a 3 bedroom is hard to come by for that price there.

Normally I'd say South Beach but for a first timer, it isn't very kid friendly. 'Mid Beach' would be a good option. I know of a nice 2 bedroom house around 25th street for rent at $4,000 month but its a large home with fenced yard.

The 'South of Fifth' area of Miami Beach is also a nice option. You may get a 3 bedroom there for $4000 but it could be more like $4500. Walking distance to the ocean, A+ elementary school, nice restaurants, etc. The Courts @ Jefferson has everything on your list as does The Cosmopolitan, both nice complexes in South of Fifth.

Otherwise, stick to close to work and just commute to the beach on your days off. You should find a nice town-home in the Grove or a single family home in Coral Gables.

You'd be responsible for lawn maintenance (most likely), water/sewer/trash/electricity/cable/internet. With a condo, you would not have to pay water/sewer/trash/lawn and sometimes you get free cable, depending on the building.

Let me ask you, are you working for a Telecom/Tech company? I just did a relocation for a member of this site who also was transferred to Alhambra Circle and he mentioned a bunch of people from Europe were about to follow. You can send me a Private Message on here and we can discuss and see if you know him.

Also, with your budget & needs, you should avoid Craigslist. That site is really only helpful for cheap studios, seasonal sublets, etc. People that own $500,000 houses/townhomes (which is what $4,000month gets you), don't advertise them on Craigslist. They hire Real Estate Brokers to list/market them.
    As a renter, there is no cost to you for utilizing the services of a Real Estate agent like myself or anyone else. (And if someone says there is, its a Scam!)

Hope this helps!

In that price range you SHOULD be able to find something in Coral Gables. Which is a short commute, close to work, kid friendly, and all that stuff you're looking for.

Just do not, under any circumstance, move south or west of there. The traffic getting in will blow your mind. Like you might find something 5 miles away and find it might be faster to walk.