Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Need advice about the Key West area

So I know this is a Miami forum, but I can't seem to find any forums pertaining to the keys, specifically Key West, and I need some advice!

I will be graduating from college this May, and am looking into moving to Florida (particularly Key West, or the area... I have considered Miami too :) ) for approximately a year or so, just to work somewhere fun and have some fun before I find myself a job in the "real world".

I currently live in Minnesota, so this would be quite the move and adjustment. I would also know no one!

Does anyone have any advice on the Key West area? is this a good idea? There really isnt much out there on the internet for apartment rentals or rooms for rent. I have searched and will continue.

Just looking for some advice or if anyone is from around there.....

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, minnesotagirl00, welcome to MiamiBeach411.

There are a few people who hang around here that live in Key West.

But if I may ask, what makes you want to move to the Keys? Don't tell me it was the last season of MTV's "Real World." If so, don't feel bad. I moved to Chicago in my mid 20's because of the 1986 classic "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

Seriously though, why do you want to move to Key West?

Living in South Beach is similar, but with more stuff to do.

Hi minnesotagirl00,

Welcome to the Forum. I had lived in Miami for 6 years, and when I got married I moved to Key West.

It's been 9 months since I live in this beautiful city. Key West is a really laid back place, every day is fishing day. The street are full of Art Store and the Arquitecture steal all the tourists attention.

It's totally different than Miami. It was a big change for me, but having a baby, I found this city very safe.

My good friend Gus gave a book called " Quit your job and Move to Key West", where the author put together a list of What to bring to key west and what to leave behind:

"Thing to Bring:
    1 - Wine Rack
    2 - Bicycle
    3 - Corkscrew
    4 - Hawwaiian Shirt
    5 - Martini Shaker
    6 - Jimmy Buffet's CD
    7 - Little Cocktail Umbrellas
    8 - Beach Towel
    9 - Sunglasses
    10 - Aspirin

Things to Leave Behind

1 - Alarm Clock
    2- Winter Jacket
    3 - Suit and Tie
    4 - Ice Scraper
    5 - Car
    6 - Electric Blanket
    7 - In-Laws
    8 - Snow Shovel
    9 - Bad Attitude
    10 - Prozac"

I thought it was funny and I wanted to share that with you. As you can see in this city there are a lot of alcohol around. Making Key West one of the city with most bars per capita.

The rent is aprox. like this:
    Room = $ 125 - $ 200 per week
    Studio = $ 700- $ 1000 a month
    1bedroom =$900- $ 1500 a month.

I found the rent higher than Miami. The weather is hot all the time, but during winter you can feel a beautiful breeze at night time.

There are a lot of museums and attractions to keep you busy. The City of Key West constantly organize Festival, Concerts and Fair with Free admission.

I hope this give you an idea about my city.

And I also want to know, What makes you choose Key West?

New User

I think I just laughed out loud at the Real World comment.. :) definately not the reason I want to move... unless of course they offered me that house to live in! haha!

I visited Key West a few years ago on vacation with the family.. I love the laid back atmosphere, and of course, the weather (seeing as it is about negative 5 degrees here today..)

I really do not know what I want to do with my life after I graduate from college, and I have always wanted to move away somewhere, so I figure now would be my perfect opportunity to do so for a year or 2, and then see if I end up back in the midwest or not.
    I am coming to realize that it is quite expensive to live there, however, working more than one job right now would not bother me, especially if they are enjoyable!! I also have no problem working hard in order to make a living.

Mirna- thanks so much for the estimates on rent! do you know how difficult it would be to come by renting a room from someone?? Or do you have any suggestions on where to look to find a room?
    I love that everyone is so helpful and willing to share info-- it definately helping make my decision to move become easier..!!

Minnesotagirl00,

I am happy to hear that you found our comments helpful. the best ways to find a room can be search in a local newspaper o join those website where you can find room online. I don't know anyone in special, but you can do a search in our best friend "Google".

Or another option, could be rent a room in a hotel per month. But I guess this option will be better once that you get here.

Let me know if you have more question about Key West. I am almost new here and still I don't know a lot of stuff and having my baby doesn't give a too much time to discover this place, but I can find more information for you if you want me to.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Happy I made you laugh, minnesotagirl00.

Would you know, there's a Craigslist for the Florida Keys. Here's a link to the sublets and rooms for rent section. Just keep in mind, the classifieds are for the the entire Keys, not just Key West.

Probably the easiest way to find a room for rent would be to take a vacation to Key West and charm some nice homeowner into renting a room to you for cheap. If you visit first, you can make sure you want to live there.

Hope this helps.

(Mirna, glad you found the Moving to Key West book helpful, but thank you for not quitting your job like the book suggests. We couldn't get by without you.)

Hi Minnesotagirl100, Not to toot my own horn, but I wrote an article not long ago about fun stuff to do in Key West. Maybe it will give you some ideas!

Suzanne C

Hey Minnesotagirl00!

Mirna raves about Key West and it's true that it's beautiful and tons of folks just like you, Mirna and I fall in love with the place when we visit it but a recent college grad may not want to take a retail, hotel or bar/restaurant job and truth be told, big $$$$ desk jobs are REALLY scarce on the island. It's a fabulous place to visit and like Mirna says, it's relaxing to live there but rents are high, pay is cheapER and drinking is top notch- you'll never have any money!

On the bright side, you won't need a car; you'll have a kick-ass tan; and, you'll learn how to hold you liquor while being able to say you lived in paradise, A.K.A. Margaritaville.

Oh, and you might be able to witness a couple of migrant landings courtesy of that island that's 90 miles south of there...