Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Would like to move to a Business District. Where to?

Hello, i will be moving to miami area for march 1st. I run a home based business that revolves around local businesses. I will be going door to door to try to sell my services.

I know SOBE is a very business like district. Im just not sure if i can afford the rental in sobe at first because my business will be new to the area and income might not be great at first.

What other areas also have a business district like SOBE.

I really only want to spend $700 per month for a place.

Thank You

Suzanne C

Hey Miami 1016.

What kinds of businesses will you be marketing your services to? Our town has areas where certain types of business are predominant. For example, downtown Miami has lots of stores... and lawyers because of their proximity to the courthouse I guess. The Brickell area is also known as the Financial district. The design district, well you can guess, is all artsy fartsy galleries and boutiques and designers and a Fendi store lol. Doral has a huge industrial area with lots of 'manufacturing plants.'

What's your product so I can tell ya where to look? I am going to say that you're going to be pretty limited with that budget but creativity (and ROOMMATES) can go a long way.

Hi Suzy,

I own a small sign business. So basically any business would need my services. I make window signs, car decals, banners, stickers, & alot more.

Suzanne C

You're a screen printer?

i dont screen print, i can digital print. although i can get screen printing done pretty cheap.

are you in that business?

Suzanne C

Nah...I work here for Gus and Michelle answering questions like yours but I spent many years in offset lithography. Sometimes I miss that distinct roach spray-like smell that inks have...but I sure don't miss crazy deadlines!

I really don't think it matters where you move to. You can market your product to everyone from residential complexes/schools (think parking decals and booster events) to officials running for elections...you'll just need a car, a cell phone, a sharpie and phone book.

I knew a guy printing 2 color AB Dick jobs from a second bedroom in his apt...will you be working out of your home?

ya those inks can get to ya. they make them not so smelly these days so its not that bad. yes i will be working from home. as long as i have a window to open it will be just fine. from what im being told the job market in florida is worse than here in NJ. I dont know if thats all of Florida or what but i guess ill see how it goes when im there.

Suzanne C

Those inks can actually cause birth defects in children. I left the industry when I saw two lines...

As for the job market, that would really depend on the field but I guess it's a safe generalization. But dude, elections...signs stapled to lightposts and bumper stickers and 'vote for' stickers are just around the corner = $$$$

Sure there is competition out there but the low overhead you'll have by working from home can you allow an edge with your pricing. Offer discounts. Oh and not that I think I need to tell you how to be a salesperson or anything- it's just a tip. Down here people love when you show up with some pastelitos. Find yourself a good bakery and you're set.

Let me know what you find when you come down here and I'll tell you if I know of any sweet places.