Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Thread: New to miami

Ada
    New User

Default New to miami

Moving to Miami in June for fellowship at jackson...Need advice pls...safe place to stay ..budget is 1800 per month...want to avoid the headache of traffic. Don't really want to live in brickwell, but have not totally ruled it out. Thx

Default Re: New to miami

Congrats on the potential move to MIA.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who asked a similar question in this section. This site is an excellent resource for people moving.

Ada
    New User

Thx Marc for replying....yes I have read through most of the posts but it's mainly from south beach or brickwell....any thots on key biscayne or mid town ? Brickwell key ?

It's Brickell, no W.

Brickell Key is actually even worse than living in Brickell Proper, there's one, two lane road on and off the island and at rugh hour it can take you 15-20 minutes to get the two blocks to Brickell Ave. So no, def not that. That said, you could walk on and off the island and take the Metrorail to Jackson, so there's that.

Downtown might not be a bad choice either. Some nice condo towers there that are convenient to Jackson and I-95, and it's not as douchey as Brickell.

Key Biscayne is also a pain in the ass in terms of traffic. I'd avoid that as well.

You're lucky that your job is accessible by Metrorail, so I'd suggest South Miami, or Coral Gables near Merrick Park (the Douglas Road stop). You can take the train to and from work, walk to bars/restaurants and other cool stuff, and generally avoid traffic if you want. Also, at $1800 you can get some good stuff in those areas. Midtown is nice, and not a bad drive to Jackson. But it's a little suburban-feeling. Like that whole area could have been dropped in from Boca or Dallas or any nice, new city.