Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Visiting Miami / Miami Beach Like a Local

Greetings:

On day 6 of my most recent visit, my 15th visit within the past 2.5 years.

I think Wednesday night could be my favorite night in SoBe....dinner at Meat Market (skirt steak and golden truffle mashed potatoes never fails), followed by live music at Bodega, Havana Nights at the Gale, and Baoli......followed that up last night with dinner at Pane & Vino and a cigar and beer at Espanola Cigars (later Tapa y Tinto) people watching.......on a normal Friday night if I were a resident (and maybe Sunday afternoon) it would be the outdoor bar at Smith & Wollensky.

Hit Anatomy 1220 in Sunset Harbour this morning...very nice gym, though the weight room could be a little tight if you are ever there when it is crowded...and for $200-225/mo dues, how the hell do you not even have one sit up machine???....they offer daily passes at $30 and a 3 day pass at $65....will keep in mind for future reference...whereas I have a 1PM hotel checkout, my return flight home does not leave until 8:15Pm....rather than paying $150 to The Standard to use their pool and workout room where I can change back into my suit before returning home, I can get in a workout at Anatomy then shower and change in the afternoon before I head for the airport.

Tonight I will probably hit Komodo...at The River Yacht Club now--very impressive, open air bar with boats docked out front and cigar-friendly (though $13 Heinekens...lovely waitresses...one Cubana hit me like a lightning bolt like the scene from Godfather I when Pacino stumbled upon Appolonia in Sicily)..was sitting next to a Latino guy at the bar and it looked like the female bartender could not process his credit card the way he wanted and he said, "f*k you, get me the manager"...real class act and real tough guy.

For now, looks like my relocation boils down to Edgewater v. SoBe....SoBe would be my first choice because of the beach and convenience/walkabilty.....if I had to give up a view to live in SoBe, might do it (i.e. Artecity or Cosmopolitan)....seems like I might, though I would prefer not to, give up a car IF I had to (though it would probably be close to $10K/year tax free savings if I did and relied upon Uber and occasional car rental)....I spoke with a number of people and everyone said a scooter seems the way to go in SoBe--and you could even drive it into midtown across the Venetian Bridge if you had to--they also said it is much easier to find parking for a scooter than a car and no DMV registration fees if under 5000 cc....it comes down to newer building and probable water view (Edgewater) v. convenience and beach (SoBe)....I liked the Gables and Grove but think that would be too far removed from other areas of Miami and a car would be a definite necessity not to mention patience with traffic.

I did walk past The Waverly and did notice all the construction taking place--flood control....that is some massive project....I also noticed the new "Disney" condos going up in Sunset Harbour, across from Anatomy....making good progress and that looks like a great, albeit expensive, place to live in spite of no water view. Miami feels like home to me--the people are direct, none of this BS air kissing or political correctness along with hypersensitivity I get in SoCal...the only a-holes I run into are the motorists who try to hit me when I am crossing the street...and the drivers do suck here--driving down from Palm Beach on I-95 I witnessed 3 major accidents involving ambulances and fire trucks that closed at least 3 lanes....3 of these, WTF?
    Last edited by elchevere; 04-08-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: Visiting Miami / Miami Beach Like a Local

Yep, I'd always choose some over the mainland. I just don't think there's as much to do, and if you are paying the high price to live here, may as well be near the beach.

Even these past few days they had an Equestrian event on the beach (lasts through tomorrow)...not normally something I would go out of my way for but since I was walking past it I checked it out for 30-45 minutes...was pretty entertaining.

Earlier in the week my anal retentive, work mode said Gables would be good....I can see where the beach makes more sense especially when I am retired.
    Last edited by elchevere; 04-09-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    I spoke with a number of people and everyone said a scooter seems the way to go in SoBe--and you could even drive it into midtown across the Venetian Bridge if you had to--they also said it is much easier to find parking for a scooter than a car and no DMV registration fees if under 5000 cc...
    I definitely second that. I couldn't' wait to buy a scooter when I moved from Orlando to Sobe.

When I sold mine because I wanted something bigger, the time it took to find another was so annoying! I had to drive to get groceries, run quick errands, look for parking ,etc.

You HAVE to get a scooter on a beach. parking is so easy, no insurance, cheap, 80miles per gallon, etc.

Spend $1000 at least to get a decent one, maybe a used Yamaha Vino 50cc or a Genuine Buddy or Kymco People.

We took my wife's vino over the Venetian with no problems and even the MacArthur Causeway. But I recommend getting a 125/150 if you are going to frequent going to Brickell/Midtown...much safer feeling going 60 on the causeway than 40 and getting blown past by speeding motorists.

Oh and its 50cc not 5000cc...that's one fast bike!

All this time thinking only Coach called himself a local.

Yeah Beach over Edgewater. Since money isn't as much of a concern for you as some people who write in there, go that way.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Yep, I'd always choose some over the mainland. I just don't think there's as much to do, and if you are paying the high price to live here, may as well be near the beach.
    There's lots to do on the 'Mainland". We all don't go to the Beach for adventure, yet we have fulfilled lives that include outdoors, cultural and networking events that fill up the social calendar. Try outdoor pedestrian type street flee markets from time to time in the Grove and Gables, Merrick Park for a glass of wine and the best bread pudding at the Nordstroms, window shopping and people watching on the Miracle Mile, free museum days on 1st Fridays, and downtown and neighboring communities to say the least. A few more notable options like Art Basel, the Miami Book Fair, the Miami Film Festival, Second Saturdays in Wynwood, Third Fridays in Little Haiti, the New World Symphony, the Arsht Center and so much more. The New Brickell City Centre set to completely open soon! Have you ever been to Vizcaya for tea on the terrace? The bike trails through the Grove? Everything is not on the beach thank God. Matter of fact, for many of us who appreciate the substantive sustenance of life, I'll stick with the "mainland".
    Last edited by Malik The Realtor; 04-10-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Yeah Miami is becoming one of those cities where people are afraid to cross the water. Which is a shame, because there's so much to do all over here. But mainland people, a lot of them now I hear saying "I don't want to deal with the beach."

Meanwhile, I had drinks in Coral Gables last night, then dinner in North Miami, and capped the evening off at the Deuce before going home to Brickell.

Yeah but you're weird honey. And you don't mind driving all over, prob cos you're from Cali.

I will literally refuse to leave the beach unless I have to I don't care, I just like it here, hate driving, hate traffic, and what's the point when I can have fun here? I walk or bike everywhere and that's good with me. I am 100% a beach person, the ones Matt hates cos we won't leave.

Jess--you sound like people I know who live in Santa Monica, but never leave, or as outsiders call the place--The People's Republic of Santa Monica...should we start calling SOBE the People's Republic of SoBe??

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Yeah but you're weird honey. And you don't mind driving all over, prob cos you're from Cali.

I will literally refuse to leave the beach unless I have to I don't care, I just like it here, hate driving, hate traffic, and what's the point when I can have fun here? I walk or bike everywhere and that's good with me. I am 100% a beach person, the ones Matt hates cos we won't leave.
    Last edited by elchevere; 04-13-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah Miami is becoming one of those cities where people are afraid to cross the water. Which is a shame, because there's so much to do all over here. But mainland people, a lot of them now I hear saying "I don't want to deal with the beach."

Meanwhile, I had drinks in Coral Gables last night, then dinner in North Miami, and capped the evening off at the Deuce before going home to Brickell.
    Might be one of them. I avoid MB, yet I'll trespass over every Blue Moon.

Not sure what I'd do without Key Biscayne ... my gravitational pull. Matter of subjectivity I suppose.

To me it's just about learning (and caring) about things outside your immediate area. The more you know about a city, state, country, etc., the smarter you become. It's the same concept as people who love to travel, you can learn a lot just spending time in other places that aren't your comfort zone.

It reminds me of people I met in college who bragged about being "well-traveled" because they'd been all over Europe, but never been west of Ohio. Just as much to learn by going to Seattle or Arizona, but for some reason they never thought to.

Agreed, but as I am well traveled, I'm like in early retirement and like staying in one place. I know Miami, I know what's over the bridge. I just don't choose to visit.

New User

you can't visit like a local unless you become a local for sometime... just what I think