Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Miami Tops List of 50 Worst Cities to Live in

Default Re: Miami Tops List of 50 Worst Cities to Live in

Really? I Guess growing up in Orlando we grew to hate Cocoa.

The sand is terrible, very sticky and coarse (sand is very important when judging a beach). Water is dark, its not convenient to anything, etc. I don't know why anyone goes there unless they are locals. I used to stop at Satellite Beach (a few exits before Cocoa) on my Courier Route back in the day because it was empty and not too far off i-95.

And that 'closest beach' advertisement is crap. Unless you live in Kissimmee or Avalon Park/Bithlo, New Smyrna Beach is the closest.
    I lived in Altamonte Springs for many years and its easily under an hour to the actual beach. Cocoa is always an hour. You gotta get over to Merritt Island and then over to Cocoa Beach. Plus, New Smyrna is WAYYY nicer beach, as well as town that you drive through. And at least its convenient to Daytona Beach if you want to catch a race or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The beach has traffic, rude people and over priced everything... BUT, I also feel we have a big local vibe and community, and you can avoid all that. We have back roads to take, cool local places to eat and drink, and the people that hang out there are not rude. Maybe its me, but Brickell doesn't have that feel to it.
    Totally Agree. Brickell is a nightmare, I can't believe Matt still lives there but I know he has a low rent so maybe that's it.

South Beach is nothing like any other part of Miami, it doesn't even compare.

Like Jess said, the locals are nice and friendly, South of Fifth / South Point Park is excellent, biking/rollerblading from 5th & Ocean up through 17th is nice, especially at night. Walking from S. Pointe Pear around the bay passed Monty's is nice and will be even better once they do the walk from 5th to Belle Isle. Flamingo Park is great of course and Lincoln Rd is always a good people watching place.
    Movies in the park @ Soundscape, lots of concerts/comedy shows at Fillmore & Jackie Gleason, etc. $5 breakfast on Ocean drive, beach volleyball courts on 7th & 12th where there is always a game...

Brickell has a nice baywalk and easier access to Key Biscayne & Some nice restaurants. That's it really. Wayy too much construction and noise and traffic which ruins Brickell Key, the only nice part of the area.

Sobe & The Grove are the best, hands down. Key Biscayne is nice but you get island locked with not a lot to do and the homes are outrageously priced. Gables has too much traffic getting in and out unfortunately. Great place to live if you work from home or in the gables at a bank or bridal shop or something.

Aventura is too condo-ish and traffic sucks at 9am, 3pm, & 5pm. Bal Harbor is too snooty and Sunny Isles is too commercial with nothing to do.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Yep. Hands down agree.

I live here because i love my apartment. The ONLY thing I like about Brickell is its access to the Metrorail. Like I can actually use it. And if I want to do to the Gables for Happy Hour or to UM to teach or to the airport or to Dadeland or Merrick Park, I never have to deal with traffic. That part's nice.

Not sure it's worth the hassle though. I've had drives to South Beach where getting to the freeway took longer than getting from the freeway to wherever I was going in the Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Really? I Guess growing up in Orlando we grew to hate Cocoa.

The sand is terrible, very sticky and coarse (sand is very important when judging a beach). Water is dark, its not convenient to anything, etc. I don't know why anyone goes there unless they are locals. I used to stop at Satellite Beach (a few exits before Cocoa) on my Courier Route back in the day because it was empty and not too far off i-95.

And that 'closest beach' advertisement is crap. Unless you live in Kissimmee or Avalon Park/Bithlo, New Smyrna Beach is the closest.
    I lived in Altamonte Springs for many years and its easily under an hour to the actual beach. Cocoa is always an hour. You gotta get over to Merritt Island and then over to Cocoa Beach. Plus, New Smyrna is WAYYY nicer beach, as well as town that you drive through. And at least its convenient to Daytona Beach if you want to catch a race or something.

Bro, you pinned it. I hate Cocoa Beach !

Was ther over a week ago, and I wouldn't mind at all if MB had that pier action. Water was a rare torquieis and magnificent men in their flying machines pirouetting over water. Pretty much par there. An anomaly based on prior visits... and if you remember my post of 4 years ago, I spent a night in Brevard County on my 50th birthday. My mug shot was prettier than Carlos Miller's, but I was in total piss-off mode . I didn't do anything wrong, yet they got for unruly behavior because I was celebrating with half the joint my 50th.

If your in CFL, invest an additional 1/2 hour drive time to the gulf. I'd you're Atlantic inclined, any thing N of Daytona.

As Marc stated, Cocoa sucks. So does Daytona.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12