Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Miami Tops List of 50 Worst Cities to Live in

Default Miami Tops List of 50 Worst Cities to Live in

Good....looks like I will be buying low.....of course, wasn't the ultra conservative Washington Times founded by Sun Myung Moon???

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-to-live-in-/

Default Re: Miami Tops List of 50 Worst Cities to Live in

Nothing new Elche. Common knowledge for decades. Washington Post would say the same thing. ��

(WaPo is a centrist newspaper), but a number of attributes listed in that article are not applicable nor of interest to me (or some SINK's--single income, no kids, especially those who are looking to take advantage of what the area has to offer during retirement or before then)--educational attainment (I have not had a problem meeting/running into highly educated people in SoBe on my visits), employment growth (inapplicable to me), crime (probably will be living in area, SoBe, where crime rate is considerably lower than other areas of Miami), access to restaurants and attractions (why I am moving to SoBe), and expensive housing (no more expensive coming from CA....from Missouri or Georgia--yeah, I could see that as a detriment--particularly if one has many more years to work in their life).

I suppose this survey/article encompasses the greater Miami area and is more applicable to the average working person who is squeezed with limited job growth opportunities while real estate prices have risen and traffic has worsened...in summary, still a good place to live if you are a trust fund baby or have earned your wealth elsewhere and can afford to relocate and have a good lifestyle (similar attributes listed in this article are a common bitch on the City Data San Diego forums--not enough high paying jobs to offset the cost of living with increased traffic)......probably/definitely not the best area to raise a family--not sure how much that factored into the criteria...but for a single person, great place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Nothing new Elche. Common knowledge for decades. Washington Post would say the same thing. ��
    Last edited by elchevere; 06-29-2016 at 12:56 PM.

BTW, trust me....it won't be all sunshine all the time from me after I have finally moved to Miami Beach.....you will wish you saw this rosey side of me as bitching is in my DNA....if I'm not complaining, there's something wrong with me.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    (WaPo is a centrist newspaper), but a number of attributes listed in that article are not applicable nor of interest to me (or some SINK's--single income, no kids, especially those who are looking to take advantage of what the area has to offer during retirement or before then)--educational attainment (I have not had a problem meeting/running into highly educated people in SoBe on my visits), employment growth (inapplicable to me), crime (probably will be living in area, SoBe, where crime rate is considerably lower than other areas of Miami), access to restaurants and attractions (why I am moving to SoBe), and expensive housing (no more expensive coming from CA....from Missouri or Georgia--yeah, I could see that as a detriment--particularly if one has many more years to work in their life).

I suppose this survey/article encompasses the greater Miami area and is more applicable to the average working person who is squeezed with limited job growth opportunities while real estate prices have risen and traffic has worsened...in summary, still a good place to live if you are a trust fund baby or have earned your wealth elsewhere and can afford to relocate and have a good lifestyle (similar attributes listed in this article are a common bitch on the City Data San Diego forums--not enough high paying jobs to offset the cost of living with increased traffic)......probably/definitely not the best area to raise a family--not sure how much that factored into the criteria...but for a single person, great place to live.

I mean, Miami is not easy. It really isn't, somIcan see how it got on that list. Awful heat, humidity, our drivers, insurance rates... the language issue, the jobs etcetc

So, in summary, elchevere, "Maybe for regular commoners it's the worst place, but not for MEEE!!!!"

With that attitude, you're gonna fit riiiiiight in.

That all said the more I'm not in Miami (been traveling for the better part of 2 months now) the more I miss absolutely nothing about that place except my friends. It really is an awful, backwards place that does everything wrong. When you go to Houston....HOUSTON...and say "Boy, they really did this in a way we just couldn't. Why can't we learn from HOUSTON" well, we're definitely not doing much right.
    Jess likes this.

Looking forward to it....I fit in better with other miserable people than I do the "I make lemonade out of lemons" crowd.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Looking forward to it....I fit in better with other miserable people than I do the "I make lemonade out of lemons" crowd.
    Lol, can't wait for you to meet my wife & I then :-)
    jwisdom789 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    So, in summary, elchevere, "Maybe for regular commoners it's the worst place, but not for MEEE!!!!"

With that attitude, you're gonna fit riiiiiight in.

That all said the more I'm not in Miami (been traveling for the better part of 2 months now) the more I miss absolutely nothing about that place except my friends. It really is an awful, backwards place that does everything wrong. When you go to Houston....HOUSTON...and say "Boy, they really did this in a way we just couldn't. Why can't we learn from HOUSTON" well, we're definitely not doing much right.
    Never been to Houston and I hope to rectify that in Sep.. Don't know why the 4th largest city in the country gets shunned.
    As I fly Southwest out west I always connect at Hobby. Six weeks ago during that connection, Inwas surrounded by a dozen students, undergrads from the University of Houston. All Enginerring students attending a symposium at Cal Tech. The detail that doesn't matter is all of Mexican decent. The detail that matters is they have a prosperous future after graduation. One of my most engaging flights, ever. Compare that to similar students in Miami. Are they going to survive locally with a 305 economy ? We know the answer and that's one point of the article Echevere linked.

I think of that all the time until I cross Rickenbacker and am transfixed by the vegetation at the median an open waters on both sides. Then you also have to ask yourself, if Miami had a true economy and industry can I afford this once a month pleasure ? If that was the case, we'd all be flushed out and it would be more expensive than today. But at the same token. If Miami had the corporations Minneapolis has, it would be an auto-correct with most of resorting to reside near Micosuckee not a bad option.

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Five years approaching FAST. Job still keeps me here. No other place where I can do this, and live (sort of).

Hoppie

9 years and if you took away the weather and beach I'd be gone tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    9 years and if you took away the weather and beach I'd be gone tomorrow.
    I"m telling you, JEss. St. Petersburg looks better every day. Weather, beach, English, affordability.
    Jess likes this.

Young crowd? Beach scene? Waves? Tell me more...

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Young crowd? Beach scene? Waves? Tell me more...
    Lol, I've been sayin the same thing for a while now.

Marco is great as well but I think we might get a little too bored there vs St. Pete Beach/Treasure Island. We're definitely considering purchasing a vacation home or possibly relocating to the W coast altogether in 3-4 years once my lil man goes to Kindergarten. Lot of affordable duplexes/triplexes near the ocean that we can rent out 1 side long term and air/bnb the other side so we can use it whenever we are in town which pays the mortgage until we're ready for the big move.

Can't let these Miami hooligans corrupt my precious baby! :-)
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

New User

LOL Its not to see poster realistic about what Miami is. You won't get this kind of banter on City-Data forums. Even though I want to move down to Miami again, I don't really think it would be on my radar if it wasn't for the beach life/ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I"m telling you, JEss. St. Petersburg looks better every day. Weather, beach, English, affordability.
    Any chance you got an eye on one of my Undertow gals ?

With my 20 plus years in FL, the base of my postings here is that the central gulf of Florida is where A magnetic field pulls me the most. As for the city itself, it has an old world charm preserved in some of her buildings and churches. The beach there is magnificent and you have nearby options in Clearwater, Maidiera, Reddingtin, and if you cross the Sky Bridge, the best beaches in Florida in my opinion. I Tampa too and it's the major influencor in the area. For what ever it's worth, it's the most LA city in FL. As for a Miami contrast, Cubans arrived here before Miami and no drama at a rumor Fidel is gasping for air.

Marc mentioned Treasue Island which I have on my list. Probably after Crystal River when 800 Manatees congregate again in November.

My lure of Miami is basically Key Biscayne and the need to get my city fix, which bores my after 4 nights. Nothing I'm enslaven to, and makes me appreciative and open to all of Florida's offerings.

Wonder if a #whitepinellas blog is even necessary. Matt ?

I know this is Echevere's topic and he's advertises he has a personality prone to bitching. I do too, and eventually he'll find out nobody cares in Miami. My bitch mode turns off every time I'm in this region until the point I trespass on Ybor City. it's not a fun mode to be in.

#

I miss " White Dade" and Salmon swimming upstream. That entails an appreciation of the state in it's totality. Understand the focus is here is MB... but when you go to Wholefoods and buy a 6pack of cupcakes, Tallahassee gets a $1.20 cut on a $18 on a penchant for going gluten free.

I understand Miami better than most here. Likely not as much as Matt. That is why I appreciate his unsequestered thoughts on Miami and the state we actually reside in. The 4th largest and a swing state. I love it's history and thrive for more of that knowledge. Apparently, it has been stated that's not the porpoise of this site.

Matt .... I hate Cocoa and I know you love it. Had that moment at that the edge of that beach pier yesterday @ the Tikki Bar. It felt more Floidian than Miami. A rare tinge of tourquioise in the water. My soul melted.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

There's no waves in St. Pete. The rest though is great...and yeah those Undertow girls aren't bad either.

I can't debate you on Cocoa except to say I love to visit but don't think I could live there. Maybe I just need to be in another part of Miami, Brickell seems to be an area that's been ruined by all that's wrong. Traffic caused by rampant overdevelopment. Overpriced EVERYTHING. Rude people. But is the beach any better? At least there they seem to have some sense of historic preservation, and streets are torn up so that we can prevent flooding. not so that a condo tower can run a bigger sewage pipe.

Matt... I get the historic preservation part. I believe MB has gone more overboard with preservation than probably any beach town in FL.

Cocoa is my nearest beach in CFL, and I've probably visited it 8 times in 12 years. Most of that is due to shuttle launches. It's a lazy beach town and impressive beach. For whatever science got aligned last weekend, it's water's were shimmering in tourquioise. What made it more alluring, is the old pier has a Tiki Bar at it's extreme edge, and if you want to make it lunch, some establishments that serve you your seafood preference in a pail. That's old Florida for you and something worthy of appreciation once in a while. In my opinion, better than S&W, and you don't have to sit next to Paulina Rubio without make-up.

The beauty of Florida is we have two coasts caressed by waters. Each one with their own characteristics and budgets. I still have a few yet to explore.

The beach has traffic, rude people and over priced everything... BUT, I also feel we have a big local vibe and community, and you can avoid all that. We have back roads to take, cool local places to eat and drink, and the people that hang out there are not rude. Maybe its me, but Brickell doesn't have that feel to it.

I loved Cocoa when I went, I agree, lazy beach town, beautiful beach. I'd go again. However if I lived in CFL I would HATE the drive to get to it. Too far down that highway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast