Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The upcoming election

Default The upcoming election

What's woeful here in Fl is voter turnout is low. I'm not talking about the general, because outsiders realize our vote is gold and invest in armies to prod us to vote.

So I'm talking about the local elections that take place on August 30th. Did you just learn about it now? Probably.
    That what corruption is banking on. They seek 2-3,000 diehards to continue their graft and maintain Miami as one of the most dysfunctional cities in the country.

One thing I miss about California is they make an effort to educate the electorate. Sixty days before an election, every citizen receives in the mail propositions and initiatives up for vote. The official language of the proposition is published along with designated persons offering their opinion pro or con. This is a nice amenity to have, but very costly and probably a waste of money. I believe if you're a caring citizen of your locality, you do your own research. I myself will start looking up what's being proposed.

About two months ago, I read a measure might be brought forward for vote. It proposes stopping liquor sales in MB by 2AM. That is an issue of no importance to me, but probably for many here. Not sure it's up for vote next month. Anyways, do some digging for the info and VOTE.

Default Re: The upcoming election

Yes I didn't know about the election! I'm sure they will be pushing the convention hotel through again... I will vote, thanks for telling me.

Geez, I think I'm out of town on the 30th. Is there early voting?

Yes, get out and vote...vote in Patrick Murphy so we can finally remove the biggest flip flopper in the history of politics! (Rubio)
    Jess likes this.

I like Charlie Crist but cmon, that guy flipped entire PARTIES.

I just want to let everyone know that its time to update your voter registration info and/or apply to vote in your respective county. If you wait until 2-3 weeks prior to the election, it will be a problem. You can't just show up with an ID and vote at some random precinct or if your account isn't updated.

If you live in Miami-Dade County, visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/elections/ and check your precinct and make sure your info is correct. Or, if you just moved to Miami-dade, you need to change your record with the county. You can do it via email (if you've voted in Florida before) or by mail and they provide the fill-able form. http://www.miamidade.gov/elections/v...nformation.asp

If you left miami-dade or are having problems, the main Florida site is: http://dos.myflorida.com/elections/

Don't waste time! Get your sample ballot to review all the amendments and candidates and find out where to vote on Election Day (unless you mail in a ballot as an absentee)

You can't complain if you don't vote! :-)

In addition to that, absentee ballots are now being accepted and you might want tp check early polling booths. I myself like the ritual of voting on election day but if I was in Dade county I'd exercise one of those options because you know what happened last time and it's Miami.
    Jess likes this.

Loving the public service announcements. it's true though, they don't exactly make voting hard for you, but it is on you to make sure you do what's necessary so you can have a say.

Early voting here is at City Hall. Last year we voted on the day if I recall, and the lines were huge. Early voting isn't as exciting I agree, but I may do it this year. Especially as this year feels nasty...

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Early voting here is at City Hall. Last year we voted on the day if I recall, and the lines were huge. Early voting isn't as exciting I agree, but I may do it this year. Especially as this year feels nasty...
    Your local precinct should have been on Washington ave by the police station. I voted there in 2014 for the midterms and walked right in..that's how I knew Scott would win re-election. Sure enough, Miami-Dade reported record low turnout.

2012 the lines at the fire stations in Brickell/Downtown were huge and people drove up with food & pizza to pass out to the people in line. Others yelled 'don't get discouraged, voting is worth waiting on'..and it was well after 7pm when the poll was supposed to close. I then drove up some side streets along Biscayne to head home and saw other lines of people waiting to vote... I called my brother and told him, don't worry about Ohio, Florida is gonna go Blue again.

2012 my precinct was the fire station on Indian Creek in North Beach. Line wasn't bad, I voted in the early afternoon.

Voting lines tend to matter where you live. Usually the less fancier areas have longer lines, which is why you see the voter suppression cases always being talked about. My dad lived in St. Johns County (st. augustine) for 12 years, always walked in and walked out, even 2008 when it was a really big deal. Its an affluent county so he had no issues.

In 2008, I lived in South Orlando and my precinct was in a not so nice part of town off Kirkman...so you can imagine the long line we had, but we stuck with it, even with my brother's 9 month pregnant girlfriend.

Regardless, don't let lines or heat or rain stop you. Its once every 4 years (or two if you really want to be involved), so do your civic duty.

And don't let your job or boss stop you either, they should allow you time to vote whether it be before work, extended lunch hour, etc. While Florida (of course) isn't one of the 31 states that require employers give employees time off to vote, tell your boss it is anyways and maybe they won't question you. Polls are open 7 am to 7pm.
    Jess likes this.

Do you know when early voting begins this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Do you know when early voting begins this year?
    It started last week.

Marc: I never had an issue with lines. The problem is the polling station either can't find me or they claim I already voted as an absentee. That was solved from re-registering as a Rebublican ( I did it for Cruz in the primary ) and I carry my Voter Registration card in my wallet. It was a five minute in-and-out deal last month. I previously have thrown fits when my ballot gets thrown into a provincial box when it doesn't matter. This cycle I fear it will as Florida is a dead heat at the moment and we're the 4th largest state.

Both candidates are awefull but no doubt the most exciting and weirdest election of in my lifetime. Whoever wins, I hope the next four years are uneventful and we get an auto-correct on better choices next go-round.

Yesterday I read an article that reaffirmed what I previuosly knew about possible changes Mayor Levine wants to bring forward to the voters. It's my understanding that the referundums were postoned so that local governence can employ a all hands on deck approach to Zika.

Some maty ask why it matters to me as I'm not a SB resident. Some of the proposals deal with things that I don't find appealing on rare occasions I hit up SB, especially at night. These are issues that locals will eventually vote on in due course.

I like all the proposal basically minus having establishments either stop selling alcohal or closing by 2AM. I think we all agree that's a major selling point about Miami Beach ... you can party till dawn without limit. I think we'd all be opposed to that.

The other items proposed I'm basically all in. I'd eliminate all tables at the curb. as a consumer, I hate people parading past my dinner table and out of respect, in that situation, I always walk on the the east side pavement of Ocean Dr. Also proposed is the elimination of Touts harrassing you to their menu which doesn't have a price list. Proposed is clear prices on ll items and the elimination of those cheesy plastic displays of food. And lastly, clear and easily visible gratuities costs on the menus.

My only take is why MB can't offer these referndums now to it's residents. #OnlyInMiami can Mosquitos derail the planned order of business of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    The other items proposed I'm basically all in. I'd eliminate all tables at the curb. as a consumer, I hate people parading past my dinner table and out of respect, in that situation, I always walk on the the east side pavement of Ocean Dr. Also proposed is the elimination of Touts harrassing you to their menu which doesn't have a price list. Proposed is clear prices on ll items and the elimination of those cheesy plastic displays of food. And lastly, clear and easily visible gratuities costs on the menus.

My only take is why MB can't offer these referndums now to it's residents. #OnlyInMiami can Mosquitos derail the planned order of business of the day.
    I agree on all that and I disagree about the mayor wanting to stop selling alcohol at 2AM. I think he wants to do it for just Ocean Drive, but still, I don't like it. I don't stay up that late anymore but its a big selling point for the city and separates us from the boring towns of Orlando, Jax, etc.

I dislike all the tables, but think there should just be tables on 1 side, not both. However, its part of the appeal and the tourists love it. When there was an off-season they had great deals and we would eat there all the time. The $4 breakfast, the $9 lunch, the $5 happy hour food menus, etc. And then at night, walking on the opposite side, seeing all the people, fancy cars and hearing the various live music playing until midnight or later.

I heard some new proposals include banning chain restaurants so that ocean drive doesn't fill up with 'hooters, chilis, etc'. I like that for the area, but as a former restaurant manager, I think that's a bit harsh to ban a restaurant that you don't like. Then what will define a chain? What if yardbird opens one? Then they'll have Lincoln Road and Vegas, so ocean drive would be 3..is that a chain? Too much regulation in my opinion of a city that thrives on de-regulation. They are even preemptively trying to ban strip clubs despite there not being any, room for any, or any in the works.

I also hate the menus without prices or the added gratuity and not being told.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    I agree on all that and I disagree about the mayor wanting to stop selling alcohol at 2AM. I think he wants to do it for just Ocean Drive, but still, I don't like it. I don't stay up that late anymore but its a big selling point for the city and separates us from the boring towns of Orlando, Jax, etc.

I dislike all the tables, but think there should just be tables on 1 side, not both. However, its part of the appeal and the tourists love it. When there was an off-season they had great deals and we would eat there all the time. The $4 breakfast, the $9 lunch, the $5 happy hour food menus, etc. And then at night, walking on the opposite side, seeing all the people, fancy cars and hearing the various live music playing until midnight or later.

I heard some new proposals include banning chain restaurants so that ocean drive doesn't fill up with 'hooters, chilis, etc'. I like that for the area, but as a former restaurant manager, I think that's a bit harsh to ban a restaurant that you don't like. Then what will define a chain? What if yardbird opens one? Then they'll have Lincoln Road and Vegas, so ocean drive would be 3..is that a chain? Too much regulation in my opinion of a city that thrives on de-regulation. They are even preemptively trying to ban strip clubs despite there not being any, room for any, or any in the works.

I also hate the menus without prices or the added gratuity and not being told.
    Regarding last pour at 2AM, that won't hold up in a court of law. Propieters on Collins would be happy and realize a unfair advantage as would any court in the land. It wouldn't surprise me if Levine is bankrolled by Collins Ave. or Licoln Rd. Don't get the point: You can't drink here but a block away you can. I smell corruption and grease.

I hear you about Orlando, and it's gotten a lot better. ....an obvious local feel as tourists don't venture into downtown. It certainly has gotten jumpier the last few years. I rarely go there but REZZ is playing at a small venue next month, so my opinion will be clearer after that.

As you might recall, Orlando did attempt to extend it's last pour till 3AM a few years ago. What killed that initiative were stipulations of businesses that could qualify, meaning it wasn't universal and thus discriminatory. That's why Ocean Drive deal should have no worries.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 09-16-2016 at 10:06 AM.

As you might recall, Orlando did attempt to extend it's last pour till 3AM a few years ago. What killed that initiative were stipulations of businesses that could qualify, meaning it wasn't universal and thus discriminatory. That's why Ocean Drive deal should have no worries.
    Back in the 90s, it was 4 or 5am in downtown Orlando. A lot of famous DJs from the 2000s got their start in Orlando Clubs. I think either Buddy Dyer or the mayor before him stopped it. Same with the no touching at strip clubs. That changed in the 90s as well and sent clubs like Rachel's looking for S. Florida locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Back in the 90s, it was 4 or 5am in downtown Orlando. A lot of famous DJs from the 2000s got their start in Orlando Clubs. I think either Buddy Dyer or the mayor before him stopped it. Same with the no touching at strip clubs. That changed in the 90s as well and sent clubs like Rachel's looking for S. Florida locations.

Didn't know that but after awhile here in CFL you learn everyone thst went to Dr. Phillips H.S. started some shit. It;s actually a long list.

As far as srip club nonense, I'm totally lost.

I have no problem with chains on Ocean Drive, those might be preferable to some of the places they have there now. And what would become of Johnny Rockets, Fridays, and Havana 1957? Seems silly. Maybe they could ban auto gratuities at bars too. Restaurants I understand, and it says it right on the check. But bars and clubs it's so sneaky because a bartender just says "$18" when he tells you the price of the drink, and unless you live here you have no idea the tip is included. Even some locals don't know.

Those chains would be grandfathered in...

I didn't know the $18 included tip as well, but I never go to clubs. I've had the $18 drinks before at places like the Delano but its on the receipt whether tip is included or not.

I like all the proposal basically minus having establishments either stop selling alcohal or closing by 2AM. I think we all agree that's a major selling point about Miami Beach ... you can party till dawn without limit. I think we'd all be opposed to that
    Agreed. The late last call is a selling point for Miami and M.B.

Even though I am past my prime partying days, I wish Los Angeles would extend its very lame (puritan) last call well past 2am. A quirky state law dating back to World War II era curfews is the culprit. A state senator from San. Fran. sponsored a bill to change the law back in 2013 but it was killed by a coalition that included law enforcement and M.A.D.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast