Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Mosquito Repellent Being Sprayed by City

Default Mosquito Repellent Being Sprayed by City

Just back from a week visit and no bites--very unusual for me...is there a city wide "spraying" program underway by the city as part of a campaign to address Zika??...if so, keep it up.

Default Re: Mosquito Repellent Being Sprayed by City???

No I think it is because it hasn't really rained this summer. Usually we have summer storms, but not this summer. No water, no mosquitos...

Default Re: Mosquito Repellent Being Sprayed by City

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Just back from a week visit and no bites--very unusual for me...is there a city wide "spraying" program underway by the city as part of a campaign to address Zika??...if so, keep it up.
    In Wynwood yes, the city is trying to combat what they believe is an outbreak. Between Biscayne and i-95 from 21st to 36th.
    Weird how Wynwood is having a mosquito outbreak, seems so random!

Mosquitoes LOVE craft beer

Either that or they mistake hipster 12 month ungroomed beards for bird's nests (this from a guy with an afro during the 70's).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Mosquitoes LOVE craft beer
    jwisdom789 likes this.

They said it was the standing water in the residential neighborhood surrounding Wynwood.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Either that or they mistake hipster 12 month ungroomed beards for bird's nests (this from a guy with an afro during the 70's).
    Geez ! At least I wasn't alone back then. Afro pick in my back pocket and healthy application of Afro Sheen in the day ... even a cameo on Soul Train.

Jess: I noticed MB411 got some attention in the local rag that touring there has been curtailed until further notice. How has that been received ?

The tours are not currently stopping at Wynwood Walls to walk around, but we still drive through Wynwood. It's just the right thing to do. Yes new Times picked it up, but it hasn't affected booking etc. Just taking precautions and going by what the CDC says.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Billy had a funny Instagram post yesterday ....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIvpRepB...by=billycorben

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

This is starting to hurt businesses. Restaurants were on the news saying their numbers were off by 50%.

I think Mike and I are going to Wynwood Kitchen Monday night for dinner.

Unless you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant, Wynwood is safe.

Exactly! I ate in lynwood last night at plant food and wine. It was packed. every outside table was used too.

Yeah Miami-ians won't care. Its been crazy hot this month too. I doubt zika is hurting businesses by 50%.

Plus, Zika is mostly gone from Wynwood now. They took care of it quickly!

I'm sure there's a bit of "chicken little" going around as well as unawareness as to what Zika posses for some. There's a little sensitivity on my part as my mother-in-law succumbed to Dengue.

In general, Mosquitos don't bother me that much, Ya it's frustrating one makes it into the house and buzzes over you at night. I fear Fire Ants more.

Now it seems like Florida is going to partake in Chaos Theory again by trying to introduce a mutant Mosquito in the Keys that will kill off Zika carrying Mosquitos. http://fusion.net/story/333793/oxite...ng-mosquitoes/

Last time, and I'm not sure it's just local folklore, Love Bugs were a lab experiment that was supposed to take care of the Florida Mosquito problem. Instead we get zillions of these fornicating bugs invading Florida in May and in June. Not an issue in Miami as I believe the Maginot Line is N of Stuart County. During these months I take advantage of the free trucker windshield wash available at all Florida Turnpike stops.

In general, Zika isn't going to kill business in Miami as it would Marco Island or Fort Meyers beaches or other more family oriented destinations.. I don't know the numbers but vacation plans to Florida have been canceled by a significant amount. It's also an issue that needs attention and vigilance to solve.

As for personal history, I grew up in the era of the Mediterranean Fruit fly. Our neighborhoods in LA got sprayed on a regular schedule and it was a nuisance... but it eventually got eradicated. Hope this gets solved soon because bath salt induced zombie man eaters doesn't scare away business .. Zika might.

It is a shame it is hurting tourism that much. I still go to Wynwood, just use bug spray, it's pretty simple.

Bug spray is no creepy guy spray....

I wonder if they say "off 50%" to mean off from high season. This time of year is slow anyway, right? That must account for part of it.

Also, Jess what did you think of Plant? I went and it was , literally, the worst dining experience I've had in Miami. Two hours and we got through one course and half and one round of drinks.
    Jess likes this.

I wonder if they say "off 50%" to mean off from high season. This time of year is slow anyway, right? That must account for part of it.

Also, Jess what did you think of Plant? I went and it was , literally, the worst dining experience I've had in Miami. Two hours and we got through one course and half and one round of drinks.
    Creepy guy spray aw I do miss Perry...

Ok, well Plant service is... suspect. BUT, I think it's cos it is a gourmet food dining experience with the chef and all. I actually ate a LOT in 90 minutes. I just would never take you there, you're a beer and meat kinda guy. Plant is a place for me and yoga people. So not surprised you weren't a fan.

I thought the food I had was great...the ONE THING that came out in two hours. So I can't speak to that. But man, the service was soooooo baaaaaaad.

Oh yeah? That's cos they're all a bit too cool for school...

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

t

I have no idea.

The mayor of Miami Beach did say yesterday that they were having a record summer.

I know Louie Bossi has been on at least an hour wait every single night. It was two hours last Saturday.

I have no idea where these people are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    t

I have no idea.

The mayor of Miami Beach did say yesterday that they were having a record summer.

I know Louie Bossi has been on at least an hour wait every single night. It was two hours last Saturday.

I have no idea where these people are coming from.
    Yeah, biz is fine. Art walk was packed, etc. After the 1st 10 were diagnosed they were interviewing a pregnant woman in a sun dress walking around Wynwood saying she wasn't worried. Meanwhile babies die all the time from Microcephalus.

Young people don't ever think something will happen to them until it does. In my Master's class last semester, I had to listen to 20 somethings say how its the best time to travel to Turkey since the terror attacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast