Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By jwisdom789
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 3 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: My Recent Visit

Default My Recent Visit

I was there this past weekend with two of my friends following a conference in Orlando. We booked an AirBnB in the building just behind the Intercontinental Hotel (One Miami Building). The location was perfect! So many great places to eat, drink and run (the running path around Brickell Key was nice!!). We went to Area 31 and Mojito Bar in Bayside Marketplace our first night. We were lucky that Miami Spice was during our trip so the price tag at Area 31 wasn’t too bad! Incredible view of Brickell too! Mojito Bar had great music, but was pretty overpriced as most of the places in BM are.

The next morning after our run around Brickell Key, we went to Fontana at the Biltmore in Coral Gables for breakfast. It was beautiful and I definitely recommend it for a great breakfast buffet. Then we drove around CG and adjacent neighborhoods to look at the houses. Very nice!

Next was lunch at Monty’s in Coconut Grove. Very Key West-y kind of place at the marina. Also very affordable. We even went back for dinner right when all the university students were starting to show up. It was loud, but still good.

Later we had drinks at a divey place in CG (can’t remember the name). Even the ”bad” parts of that area were still nice and really safe.

Saturday we went to South Beach for the day and went to many restaurants and bars, checked out the beach and rode bikes through all the back streets. It was pretty hot in the beginning, but cooled down when the clouds came out.

Speaking of the weather, it was hot, but it was breezy and very nice in the shade. Not all that different from Hawaii in the summer, just a little bit warmer. It was very comfortable everywhere we went. I like it hot though!

As for traffic, driving in from Orlando was pretty interesting. It is certainly more intense than Hawaii, but the express lane made it more tolerable. I was surprised that it didn’t take very long to get to Coconut Grove from downtown on Friday at 5 PM too!

Everyone was super nice and friendly and we got great service just about everywhere! I did notice that the nicer the place, the better the service.

We can’t wait to go back!

Last edited by jwisdom789; 08-08-2016 at 06:31 PM.
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

Default Re: My Recent Visit

Well, sounds like you had a pretty exceptional trip. Glad you enjoyed it though, sometimes the things we complain about (traffic, bad service, heat) aren't always so bad. Glad you had fun and hit some good spots, let us know next time you're coming down!
    jwisdom789 likes this.

Appreciate the review, especially since it was off the beach and you made loads of it, had seemingly a great time and enjoyed your stay.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

I did. Very much. Every time I had been to Miami before, I always stayed in South Beach and never saw the "mainland". Since I plan to live there, seeing the "real" Miami was a must so I concentrated most of my time there and was not disappointed. I still feel like I only barely scratched the surface though.

Quote Originally Posted by jwisdom789 View Post
    I did. Very much. Every time I had been to Miami before, I always stayed in South Beach and never saw the "mainland". Since I plan to live there, seeing the "real" Miami was a must so I concentrated most of my time there and was not disappointed. I still feel like I only barely scratched the surface though.
    Glad ! I'm one of the few here that scoff MB and just damn embrace the whole 305 with the bath water.

The beach is of course most people's main attraction, but the mainland has plenty to offer too.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

By the way, driving in on 95 I noticed many of the barriers had been obliterated from people jumping in. A nice Porsche even got one stuck underneath and had to pull over!

Yeah that is super dangerous so serves him right.

Yeah they're spending like $2 million or something to put MORE barriers up, so we can have more to run over. Great use of tax money.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah they're spending like $2 million or something to put MORE barriers up, so we can have more to run over. Great use of tax money.
    Yep..

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/traf...102822002.html