Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Wanting out of Miami ( via Zillow )

Default Wanting out of Miami ( via Zillow )

It just doesn't add up.

Just got entertained reading the following article; http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/st...mians-8767832#!

Since the inception of this site, it's strength has always being able to tell it like it is. It likely will never get endorsed by the local chamber of commerce because it scares people away. Let me rephrase: The truth is spoken here. Miami is not a simple place to live, and much less enjoy based what the average worker earns. Zollow admits it's findings lack statistical fortitude but we reralize an entertaining topic is so true. Huge dichotomy in relation to their findings. People want out and yet it's a very expensive city to live in. I trust in the Invincible Hand that sets prices. but in the case of Miami, there is no correlation of jobs and that support a model like a Houston or Portland. Miami is like a siren in the middle of the ocean luring you to catastrophy... a Freak !

I would counter Zillow's conclusion and offer a survey listing places to move if money was no object. Miami would near the top of that list... but as we say here, the rerality of spending a long weekend here and earning a corresponding wage to keep those Mojitos coming are two different things.

There is still no " all clear" from Matt's two year rule. Nor is there a respite from corrupt politicians that have no vision of growth other than allowing tall buildings in such a limited sq. milage.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Default Re: Wanting out of Miami ( via Zillow )

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    It just doesn't add up.

Just got entertained reading the following article; http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/st...mians-8767832#!
    Couldn't disagree more with the quadrant they have Miami in...Outsiders don't want in?? If that were true, so many people like myself wouldn't be doing well, these huge prices for vacant land wouldn't be selling, and businesses wouldn't coming in and leasing/buying space all over.

It should be in the quadrant with Orlando, residents want out and outsiders want in.

People that grew up in Miami do want to leave, that is very true. Miami has changed immensely in the last 20 years and those that didn't pursue high paying jobs or start businesses have suffered from housing that is too expensive as well as cost of living. If you aren't going to the beach much, going to sports games, a boater, gambler, etc. then you can just move to Orlando and get a big house for a 3rd of the price and still enjoy Florida (which many Miamians want and what Matt originally told people many years ago in his article here about moving to Miami).

If the article were true, than the housing market would reflect it. However, despite the articles you read about condo prices, rents falling ,etc. the Miami housing market is still doing very well and will for at least another year or two.
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

Blackford's absolutely right. This place is built on nothing, so it has no backbone and that's why it crashes every time the economy dips. Maybe people are looking to get out because they know the crash is coming soon (overdue, if you listen to some people). THe Zillow thing is a little flawed, obviously. Economics dictate this place wouldn't be so expensive if there was no demand so it really doesn't make sense. But as many people are leaving here as moving (talking professionals, not immigrants) so we all know it's a scam economy. None of us will be around to see it but I would love to see what history says about this place when it's washed away in 100 years.
    Jess likes this.

I do truly believe the flooding issue will be what ultimately kills Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I do truly believe the flooding issue will be what ultimately kills Miami.
    Saw a chart / schedule last week that MB is due for some Super Tides soon. Going to have to dig in and search for it. I know we're at full moon so not sure if it as recent as NOW.