Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton
  • 1 Post By FredTheCatTravels
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Pros and cons about living in Key West.

Default Pros and cons about living in Key West.

It is only when I relocated from Chicago to Fort Myers that I discovered and learned that the housing I am living in (Southwest Florida Goodwill Housing) is in fact funded by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD. So anyway, I looked on HUD's website and to my surprise, I discovered HUD housing in Key West! For people with disabilities, too! One HUD complex I looked at on Google Street View is the Harvey House apartments, a couple blocks or so from the cemetery. To me, this tells me; I practically could have moved to Key West!

Although living in Key West really does look great to me (being within walking distance of every single city celebration including Fantasy Fest), not to mention the nightlife all up and down Duval Street, as I understand it, there is only one road in and out of Key West. As obvious, many Section-8 residents, including myself, don't have a car, and Florida City would be a roughly 15 hour bicycle ride from Key West. Which leaves me with the question; what do I do if there's a hurricane, especially a really big hurricane? My concern is, especially a really big hurricane (175 or even 200 mph sustained winds), if it were to especially hit Key West directly head on, the storm surge could submerge the entire island and even swamp the Harvey House apartments.

Default Re: Pros and cons about living in Key West.

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    My concern is, especially a really big hurricane (175 or even 200 mph sustained winds), if it were to especially hit Key West directly head on, the storm surge could submerge the entire island and even swamp the Harvey House apartments.
    As you know there hasn't been a direct hit on Key West and if there were, you'd have plenty of notice.

Just like in other cities, the city/government provides bus transportation for elderly, disabled, etc. for evacuations.

Or, if you have the extra money, you can take a flight out of Key West airport 2-3 days in advance.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I would take the house in KW in a second. As for the hurricane, you know well in advance and you evacuate. Easy.

If I can remember, the last hurricane to have hit Key West directly head on was Hurricane Georges in 1998. I also remember Key West was sideswiped by Wilma in 2005, nonetheless with storm surge affecting a few areas of Duval Street.

I also seem to have noticed on the HUD website that Harvey House is listed as "Disabled" housing but seems to cater to people with AIDS, does anyone know if Harvey House takes people with other kinds of disabilities such as autism, Alzheimer's, cerebral palsy, wheelchair bound, bi polar, and what not?

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    I also seem to have noticed on the HUD website that Harvey House is listed as "Disabled" housing but seems to cater to people with AIDS, does anyone know if Harvey House takes people with other kinds of disabilities such as autism, Alzheimer's, cerebral palsy, wheelchair bound, bi polar, and what not?
    Why not just call them directly?

I would call them, simply as we would not know that sort of detail. We know Key West very well, but not the housing aspect of the island.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I would almost be certain that Section 8/HUD housing in Key West has very long waiting lists of people waiting to get an apartment.

Also, my mom and stepdad lived in Key West during season for years and it is very isolating. You can't just hop in your car and head to Walmart, it is a five hour drive.

Medical is very basic.

Also, while it sounds fun, it is tough to live in the middle of a 24/7 tourist environment and you on a limited budget, will not be able to afford to do a lot of things. Dining out in Key West is expensive. Groceries are more expensive.

Just some things to think about.

Also, bike riding on Key West can be dangerous.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just pointing out some realities.
    Last edited by FredTheCatTravels; 09-20-2016 at 04:57 PM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Its definitely a place for people with money or those that are true beach bums. If you're in the middle, it might be a bit much.

Also, its a boater's paradise so if you aren't a boater or don't plan to buy one, you're missing out.

It has some similarties to South Beach with the 'small town' size and everyone on scooters and such. But at least Sobe has lots of doctors, groceries, cheaper restaurants, free things to do, full time residents, and easy access to a major interstate and major airport.

Medical is very limited. They helicopter everyone to Miami from Monroe County. It's a daily thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Medical is very limited. They helicopter everyone to Miami from Monroe County. It's a daily thing.
    My father in law's best friend just had to take a 5 hour ambulance ride to Mt. Sinai Miami Beach for a heart procedure. (Putting a stint in I believe).

OMG that bill will be huge.

You have to be a little weird to live anywhere in the Keys.
    Jess likes this.

That's why I love it there.