Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    LLS
    New User

Default Moving to South Florida, advice on good family oriented areas to look for homes.....

We are moving to South Florida for work in December or January. Looking for advice on best places to live (safe, family oriented, good school district for elementary). Primarily, looking at Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, West Kendall and Homestead (but open to suggestions on good areas). We haven't been down there to look at the area yet, so I'm hoping to get some info to narrow my search. Thanks!

Default Re: Moving to South Florida, advice on good family oriented areas to look for homes..

Hey LLS welcome to the forums....so the big question is where will you be working? If it's anywhere near downtown moving to any of those areas will be giving you a commute that can only be described as "a circle of Hell not yet documented." Wesk Kendall especially, unless you're also working out there, any commute from that area will be soul sucking.

That said, Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay are great areas for families, but again far far far from anything so unless you enjoy spending 4 hours of your day in your car you might want to think again. Let us know where work is, and your hours, and we can probably suggest something that won't be so bad.

Homestead is almost to the Keys. If you're thinking of moving there you might as well live in Broward County. Way nicer.

LLS
    New User

Default Re: Moving to South Florida, advice on good family oriented areas to look for homes..

Thanks Matt! Work is actually in Homestead, but initial research made it sound like most of Homestead was pretty rough, so we were hoping to find somewhere a little safer without a terrible commute. We have two small kids, so we are looking to find somewhere with lots of parks and kid friendly activities. There aren't many rentals available in Palmetto Bay, so I figured it was a desirable area. There are plenty of nice rentals in Cutler Bay and West Kendall, but the school ratings are terrible, so I feel like I'm missing something there. I'd appreciate any advice!

Cutler Bay and Pinecrest are very nice family areas. West Kendall is not the place I'd choose, it's so far from everything and you will need to speak spanish to live there. Can't comment on schools but I can imagine they'd be better in Cutler and Pinecrest.

LLS
    New User

Thanks Jess!

Cutler notsomuch, it's kinda more like North Homestead than south Pinecrest. Palmetto Bay is still probably your best bet, jsut keep your eyes peeled.

Agree with Jess, avoid West Kendall if you can. The only benefit would be easy access to the Turnpike, so your commute to work might be a little easier.