Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 2 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Hyman Roth is more my style

Default Hyman Roth is more my style

By any stretch, our perch in Brickell Key, practicaly over water I believe is very desirable for anyone ... except for me. I hate it ! ....aong with the folly that you have to be near water to be viable in Miami.

Abdonning Miami never occured to us.

Seriously studying some nice house options W of 95 that seem really appealing and authenically Miamian. In other words, I'm dissing what everyone else is looking for because thats not my problem.

Not sure, but maybe by a Notre Dame game lunch tray. Knowing her, that ain't going to happen. As me, I'm/We're going inland. I'm beating The Herd but they don't know about that yet.

#alwaysaviewneverajew Fred would be cool with that. Moving near water is a sucker's move.

Default Re: Hyman Roth is more my style

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    #alwaysaviewneverajew Fred would be cool with that. Moving near water is a sucker's move.
    When prices drop, the 'burbs are hit bad and stuff on the water will still sell and not sit on the market.

Not sure how many people you are 'beating to the punch though', places like the Grove, The Roads, & Gables are already higher than pre-boom levels and Doral is getting pretty pricey as well. IF you can snatch up a good deal on the river, that's what I would target as far as appreciation.

Otherwise...enjoy the traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    When prices drop, the 'burbs are hit bad and stuff on the water will still sell and not sit on the market.

Not sure how many people you are 'beating to the punch though', places like the Grove, The Roads, & Gables are already higher than pre-boom levels and Doral is getting pretty pricey as well. IF you can snatch up a good deal on the river, that's what I would target as far as appreciation.

Otherwise...enjoy the traffic!
    Hyman Roth don't do traffic.

My needs are spartan. Nice quite street, pool, ample yard with an awesome tree or two. To be honest, I get the efficiency and convenience of a decent condo but I always hated that lifestyle.

Our gal identified three places of interest in areas you haven't mentioned. The Hammocks would be ideal but not what we want to pay as a non-primary dwelling.

That great airfare to Costa Rica I tweeted you is on Jet Blue non-stop from Orlando. I leave a week from tomorrow to prospect. Probably as Miami, I'm checking out some plots that haven't been mined yet. Something in the mountains and 45 minutes from Capuchin Monkeys and other tropical creatures at the beach. Living by or next to water has never been a priority.

How come you want two suburban homes within under 4 hours drive of each other?
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    How come you want two suburban homes within under 4 hours drive of each other?
    yeah ,seriously. get a beach/mountain place in Costa Rica..

Hammocks? That's kendall....there's a reason why I didn't mention it in my areas of interest.

And the traffic sucks out there, hence the traffic comment.

Quiet street with a yard and pool? unless you got some serious coin, stick to Parkland. $500k-$600k will satisfy that and you'll enjoy how clean/quiet everything is and not too far from 95 and very close to the sawgrass expressway.

Or if you want more remote, try Wellington (West Palm Beach County area). Great location, lots of acreage homes with horses, Bill Gates has a monster compound there, etc.

FYI: No one knows what you're talking about when you always quote this 'hyman roth don't do traffic'.
    Matt Meltzer and jwisdom789 like this.

Jess is right...what's the point of having two houses in the suburbs? I get the place in Brickell Key and the house in Polk County. But a South Florida suburb isn't gonna feel much different is someone drops you in the house from nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post

FYI: No one knows what you're talking about when you always quote this 'hyman roth don't do traffic'.
    Name:  hyman.png
Views: 213
Size:  996.2 KB

There's plenty of conotations using the Hyman Roth analogy, The above image is something we'd be happy with.

In regards to Costa Rica, I recently sold a lot that I've had for over twenty years. In was in the outskirts of Cartago which gringo money is not interested ... unless you're Marlon Brando. He had a place less then a mile away. It took forever to sell but it finally happened. That particular area was seen a growth in car repair shops and the person who bought is going to put up a Jiffy Lube type of business. An item you might be interest in how they do business in Costa Rica, the municipality claimed a meter and a half from the street so they could build a sidewalk. In other words ... they ripped me off and there wasn't anything legally I could do about it. As far as beaches, they're expensive and don't offer essential services. I'm searching in San Marcos in northern province of Alajuela. The beach and center of Alajuela are each just over a 40 min drive.

Jess: I understand you're Ying & Yang theory as it makes sense. Maybe more so for a Miamian. Remember I'm from LA and 10 miles off the coast I never related to being in the burbs and before I moved to FL, I always resided in LA Basin. I know many peeps that have a house in LA ad another in Dana Point - that's only 1.5 hour drive. Our economics have changed recently so a downgrade makes sense. This time we ruled out a lesser condo. We now have two dogs and a cat and going up and down an elevator to take them ( dogs ) on walks is a peeve of mine as well as high HOA fee's we only enjoy
    1/5th of. It makes sense for us and we love " all " Miami it makes perfect sense in our particular case and don't feel we're missing out on anything Miamian.

That makes sense, paying for condo HOA when you don't live there is painful. Plus the dogs thing would be super annoying. A house therefore does sound like a plan, and Doral way is right off turnpike from orlando, and easy to reach the Keys. Go for it!

Need the clarify "The Hammocks" comment. That is an area I've always known be be S of Coral Way and W of Brickell. It even appreas as my geo-tag on social media but it might be a bit too dear to move there.

The Hammocks? You're thinking of Shenandoah by that description. The Hammocks is WAY deep in Kendall.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    The Hammocks? You're thinking of Shenandoah by that description. The Hammocks is WAY deep in Kendall.
    Yes, that is what i said earlier as well, which is why the 'enjoy the traffic' comment. That'd be one of the last areas I'd look for a home.

Shenandoah is nice, as is 'The Roads', both of which qualify for the area he's talking about. You're looking at $500k to start for a decent home and $600-$700k for something nicer and renovated.

Wow a house in Shenandoah is half a million? That's crazy. It's alright but is way more Little Havana than Coral Gables.

Coral Gables is $500k minimum for a move-in ready home in the real parts of coral gables (not the outset like 'little gables' or north of SW 8th or South in the Grove by 37th Ave).

you should really plan for $650k-$700k for something renovated with a garage and maybe a pool in the gables.

Wow, that's actually pretty cheap for Coral Gables. I'd have thought it would be more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Wow, that's actually pretty cheap for Coral Gables. I'd have thought it would be more.
    Yeah, but we're talking small homes. 2 bed 1 baths or maybe a 2/2 with no garage. Same with the good parts of Coconut Grove.

Still, like Jess that's a lot cheaper than I though. Figured the Gables would be $750 at the least.

My perception was the Shenandoah neighborhood would price much more than The Roades. Like the former better as it's way more exclusive traffic wise. I'm not even sure you can approach it from the south. Miami Ave would be my dream, maybe a fixer upper but I just got back from Costa Rica and am very encouraged from what I saw. If you don't "have" to live at the beach, a mountain slope that gets you access to the capital or a awesome beach in about ~ 1 hr. is my sweet spot.

Unlike what Hyman Roth told Michael Corleone about Cuba, Costa Rica truely is a friendly and perhaps the most stable country in our hemisphere. That said, I'm still pissed and argue with family they sold out to the Chinese and allowed them to build a nice national stadium for their silence on Tawain when it comes up at the UN. I'll always be livid about that. A bit removed in the mountain spots I checked out, and my flight to San Jose was the first time I didn't sit next to a Gringo with a business plan.

Costa Rica, as Miami is over saturated by dudes ( investors ) wanting to be by water. By what Marc is saying, relative prices away from water aren't that bad for a single dwelling. It's the obvious play. One I'm holding off on for now.