Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FredTheCatTravels

Thread: Snowbird Season

Default Snowbird Season

Some good years ago I had conversation with a client based in Palm Beach. When I asked him how he and his family where doing, I went silent for moment when he said everyone is fine and enjoying Thanksgiving. This call was logged in the month of May. He noticed I might have thought he was crazy - then he eloborated. " Thank God they're gone. He was referring to the winter migration into Florida. As a Californian, it was something I could relate a bit to, but not really. One of my neighbors had her dad over from Cleveland and that was pretty much it. That's pretty much it. Even with my 42 years in LA, you'd get an occasional out-of-state liscense plate from Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. Now as a primary resident in CFL, I can identify any liscense plate in the Union. Miami to a lesser extent for more heartier wings.

I've always prided myself in having knowledge of the idiosycrancies nation-wide, and after thirteen years as a Florida resident, most have been fortifided and some things learned. As a professional, I had to market stuff in Boise and when a major client in Topeka wanted me in for a sit in, it was a logistical nightmare. That said, nothing has educated me more about our country and in it's in habitants and culture than moving to Florida. West of the Rockies, it's a different game and folk. It's still is the Wild West but to my amazement, Florida is soooo damn cheap enough to own a 2nd home or fractional ownership for three months on a barrier island.

I originaly hated Snow Birds during my first ten years in FL...... I mainly say this because I'm a weather wuss and wouldn't subject myself to harsh conditions ... so I get it.

With all previously said, I'm in tune with my former client from Palm Beach, now that it's my reality. So with 13 years under my belt as a Floridian, I have a rating scale.

NEW YORK
    Probably the easiest to deal with once you make them aware nobody here care's and you inherited you're father's upbringing on 110th St. New Yorkers are powder puffs.

New England
    Take your Red Sox cap off because that don't mean sht down here.

Indiana/Ohio

The most obnoxious arses on the planet. Fly-Over states for sure.

Kansas

The smartest people in the country - by far.

Texas

Colorado's issue

illinois

If i was a Chicogoan, I'd tough out Winter. Great city but we get a few. Arizona gets the rest.

Minnesota

The most seemless and keeping Ft. Meyers afloat. Good people.

Canada

These geese flew longer than most and are my ultimate favorite Snowbird. Please keep coming.

California

Get the F outta here ! LOL - in that aspect, Florida/Miami is a great place to dummy down.

Costa Rica

Recently aquired a nice plot on a volcanic mountian slope.
    I'm going to snowbird further South in due course.

If I left out your state, let me know. If you're from Pennsylvania I didn't forget:

Pennsylvania

Name:  dutch.png
Views: 184
Size:  284.3 KB

Preferred Member

Default Re: Snowbird Season

Originally from the New England and moved to the Orlando area a few yrs back.. Also was Never was a Red Sox fan and was happy when Roger Clemens went to NY.. As for Football Sunday, I Always wear my Patriot jersey

Most of my FL friends are wicked- pissah or from NY. Boston is also one of my favorite cities in the U.S.. I was holed there for 2 months doing work for Dunkin Donuts.

Recently lost a great neighbor from New Hampshire. He was a Snow Bird and always took care of my green fees at Grand Cypress. which is the most expensive course in Orlando. Damn, he was only 53.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I am extremely thankful for snowbirds because tourism has funded my life.

It has paid for my homes, cars, retirement, my education, my kids education and my way of life.

While it gets tiresome by the end of season, our season basically starts next week and goes through May, it is partly because we live off Las Olas which is ground zero for Fort Lauderdale tourism.

I would not know how to function not growing up and living in a tourist destination.

We see more South American and European tourists than white bread USA.
    Jess likes this.