Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Thread: Doral

MdV
    New User

Default Doral

Hi, We may be relocating next year for a job in Doral. We will have a 2 year old and a 4 year old at the time that we move. I am trying to figure out which neighborhood/suburb would best fit our needs. I would like a community where my kids can ride their bikes, where we can go for walks, where there are parks/cafes. Does this exist in Doral? It seems like there are a lot of gated communities, which I guess could be ok. Both of my kids speak Spanish so that isn't as much of an issue. My husband wants a short commute but I would like a nice quality of life. Any advice? Thanks!

Default Re: Doral

Quote Originally Posted by MdV View Post
    Hi, We may be relocating next year for a job in Doral. We will have a 2 year old and a 4 year old at the time that we move. I am trying to figure out which neighborhood/suburb would best fit our needs. I would like a community where my kids can ride their bikes, where we can go for walks, where there are parks/cafes. Does this exist in Doral? It seems like there are a lot of gated communities, which I guess could be ok. Both of my kids speak Spanish so that isn't as much of an issue. My husband wants a short commute but I would like a nice quality of life. Any advice? Thanks!
    Welcome to the Forums!

Downtown Doral has recently opened and is miles different than the Doral I worked in during '10-'12. That may have the things you need in a community along with good shopping at the two malls.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Coral Gables over Coconut Grove because it would save you on the commute. I would recommend West of Le Jeune for your kids to bike around rather than between 37th Ave & Le Jeune because of all the congestion.

For the Grove, the Southern part by the water, near the marina is good for what you're looking for. Anything past 32nd and it can be a 'block by block' thing. None of the two communities i mentioned are gated.

If you want Gated, Doral does a good job of that. Just not many cafes or a walk-able neighborhood. The Beach has all that, but its not an area that a 2 or 4 year old should be out in with out direct supervision.

Since Doral has the turnpike and the 826 right by it, maybe you can consider some of the Broward areas? Weston would have a lot of what you are looking for and very good schools.

It will come down to budget though, as Weston and the Grove are very pricey and the Gables can be as well.

Default Re: Doral

Florida really isn't much of a "go for walks, ride your bikes to parks and cafes" kinda place. We definitely don't do parks very well, at least in Miami we don't. That said Marc is spot on, Coral Gables is your move here, or coconut grove. Though so much depends on your price range, you know? Those are expensive areas but if you can afford it the commute to Doral isn't bad. Though street traffic in Doral is absolutely miserable, and there's no avoiding that.