Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Are Miami Beach residents parochial ?

Default Are Miami Beach residents parochial ?

Was taken a-back from a recent comment by a participant on these pages.... pretty much stating that the rest of Miami doesn't matter. I shaked my head my head in disbelief. I state this as I've been comming to Miami as a teen and before many here where born. Initially for business, as I didn't need a beach ot sunshine to qualify life.

In 2000 I bought a condo as it cost me the price of an ass-whipe at the time. Since then, I can say where at a 3rd location now -looking for a 4th. We love the (305) and not neccesarily living in MB. it's not our scene.

The most astonishing I've learned in my times in Miami, is the opinion of the folf that reside at the beach. Usually people that only can dialouge in English, which tarnisshess the true Miami Experience.

Maybe because I'm from LA. I'm hued. I never bitched about traffic or where you lived. If we set a time, yould be there/... and on time.

Name:  holly.png
Views: 147
Size:  409.1 KB

Prior to moving to Florida, I'd hike my nearest mount and embrace the whole zip code. If you lived in Pacoima, you where an Angelino, or Pasedenian for that mater. Don't talk to me about traffic, it worked. Nothing about that you live in Kendall and it's taboo. That's Bush League from where i come from.

Maybe if Miami was efficient and self serving, the outskirts might have a better value. Burger King iunfortunately is no Northrup, and it's just place with a nice beach DOMINATED by Third World residents or investors. Some of them good friends and understand my broken Castillian.

Default Re: Are Miami Beach residents parochial ?

I'm assuming you are referring to me. However I stand by my statement. Tourists that come to Miami Beach are 99% coming to Miami Beach, and the rest of Dade county is not of interest. Maybe they'll cross the bridge for a Marlins game, Club Space or Ultra. But nothing west of 95 other than the outlet malls.

As for me personally... not much off the beach holds any interest. I've lived in London, Hong Kong, Portugal and a few other cities so I don't think of myself as narrow minded. I don't speak Spanish, because my husband does, but this is because in England we do not learn Spanish in school. Instead I speak French which is handy with the Haitian community. I choose to live in Miami Beach for the beach. That's the main attraction for most people who want to move to Miami. I am glad you love all of Miami and it's history... but don't be offended if not everyone holds that opinion, cos the rest of Miami for me has no allure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I'm assuming you are referring to me. However I stand by my statement. Tourists that come to Miami Beach are 99% coming to Miami Beach, and the rest of Dade county is not of interest. Maybe they'll cross the bridge for a Marlins game, Club Space or Ultra. But nothing west of 95 other than the outlet malls.

As for me personally... not much off the beach holds any interest. I've lived in London, Hong Kong, Portugal and a few other cities so I don't think of myself as narrow minded. I don't speak Spanish, because my husband does, but this is because in England we do not learn Spanish in school. Instead I speak French which is handy with the Haitian community. I choose to live in Miami Beach for the beach. That's the main attraction for most people who want to move to Miami. I am glad you love all of Miami and it's history... but don't be offended if not everyone holds that opinion, cos the rest of Miami for me has no allure.
    I didn't actually have you in mind. It's a general perception I'll grant grant from a tourist perseptive, but so are the masses that also want and over-the-water-bungalow in the Maldives.

Bringing this back to reality, the annual visitors that visit are not drawn to the beach. Most end up staying and enrich the whole area code. To think otherwise is narrow minded and ignoring 90% of what's really happening under your nose or a vicinity nearby. I have to state it that way because I was brought up in a way more complex situation than Miami and nobody I knew stressed out the stark limited demarcations as they do in MB. That's all I'm saying and as long as that thought is perpetuated, the only outcome is continued vertical growth and the subsequent bitching when the president is in town and walking is the only means to get around. Geez ... you can't even get home during Ultra.

I'll stand by what I said on the other thread: By and large the interesting, new things that are opening in Miami are almost all in the city. West of 95, maybe notsomuch, but in terms of creating entertainment/dining/nightlife options the beach just isn't doing it anymore. Have you seen Washington Ave. in the last year? It's an abandoned ghost town. Sure, the sand is there, and you're right that most tourists think of coming to beaches when they come here. But more and more the city is where the cool, new things are. As one who keeps track of these things for a job, it's rare we see a new spot in the Beach that's getting much buzz, outside maybe a restaurant here or there at one of the big hotels.

We serve our visitors best by discussing everything there is to see here, like how the city tour goes off the beach and into the city. There really is so much, you're doing yourself a disservice if you come to Miami and only see the beach. Or just see the city. Its like people who say "You can live here without a car." Sure, you CAN. But there is so much cool stuff to see here that you need to drive to, you're only getting a tiny fraction of what the region has to offer when you limit yourself to what's walkable. And that's really a shame.

MATT; I kind of sense that and glad it's going in that direction. As far as growth, there is no other choice. i get the allure of the beach but I pretty much know Florida and it is far from the best beach. As far as the infracstructure, I can see whrer it might mean more to some than others. Take note I lived four blocks N of Hollywood Blvd, and that;s what I associated MB off the beach with.

As far as the tourist angle, I live in " Greater Orlando" which recieves an infinite more # visitors than Miami Beach. The vibe is different and motives that draw you are drastic, to say the least but you don't feel excluded because of the dynamics of the city and mindset. To me that is what great or decent cities should strive for. Uniformitity and not placing all it's eggs in a vertical basket ( view of Bimini - who cares ) is the wise way to go.

i know I'm hued because I'm not from the NE or MW .... Miami nor MB is going to make me jizz over myself. It does posses one of the most sexiest landscapes in the country and the corruption of city officials don't have the sense or capacity to grow it horizintally.

To argue differently is admitting the limitations of Miami as a whole. If for me, I'd rather live in Pasadena than Santa Monica Beach. Apparently that option doesn't exist when it easily should in the (305). To add to that, I get it that some people are limited to English Only and just don't want to deal or get tuned out going off the beach, where people revolve and are gone before the next season.

That said, I do love Miami and I keep it precious by managing my stays there. If otherwise and beyong that, I'd probably hate it.

Matt: I never got an answer about how MB411 divides it's main tour. Like how much MB and how much mainland ? I'm going to guess the highlights are the Scareface scene and where Versace got gunned downed. If I'm missing anything, I have to take the tour one day. As prsctice, i hit up Rick's take out window on Riverside Dr. and eat my Pastrami sandwhich nearby at the Labianca murder scene in my car or rental. What can i say, it's my old neighborhood and I love nostaglia.

Miami Beach has plenty of that and we can go back in history that it was nothing 40 years ago, until outsiders came in and gave it a massive adreniine fix which should have continued if not for Barbara Capitman. Maybe a nthought for futher debate and what MB could have became.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    As far as the tourist angle, I live in " Greater Orlando" which recieves an infinite more # visitors than Miami Beach. The vibe is different and motives that draw you are drastic, to say the least but you don't feel excluded because of the dynamics of the city and mindset.
    Lol, you're a long way from Orlando bud. Those that live in Pompano Beach and Weston or Plantation don't say they live in 'Greater Miami' .

Like Jess said, she lives on the beach because that's what's appealing and for some (myself included), its all you need. Those that want to par take 'West of 95' for whatever reason, go for it. The traffic sucks every day, all day, its predominantly Hispanic (even the billboards) and there is never anything going on of interest.

When you want to check out what's happening as Matt states, its a simple Uber/Scooter/Bus ride over the causeway. The beach has everything else a person could need: good hospital, doctors, various grocery stores, brand name shops on lincoln & collins, high end restaurants, constant events, the beach, the bay, nice park, sports, water activities, A-rated elementary school, $1000 studios and million dollar homes and everything in-between.

That's the draw..and until you live it (day in and day out, not visiting or coming down for a few weeks at a time), you won't understand it.

Living here vs visiting here is two different worlds. I have always loved being a local. The beach is like a college dorm or one big college campus
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Lol, you're a long way from Orlando bud. Those that live in Pompano Beach and Weston or Plantation don't say they live in 'Greater Miami' .

Like Jess said, she lives on the beach because that's what's appealing and for some (myself included), its all you need. Those that want to par take 'West of 95' for whatever reason, go for it. The traffic sucks every day, all day, its predominantly Hispanic (even the billboards) and there is never anything going on of interest.

When you want to check out what's happening as Matt states, its a simple Uber/Scooter/Bus ride over the causeway. The beach has everything else a person could need: good hospital, doctors, various grocery stores, brand name shops on lincoln & collins, high end restaurants, constant events, the beach, the bay, nice park, sports, water activities, A-rated elementary school, $1000 studios and million dollar homes and everything in-between.

That's the draw..and until you live it (day in and day out, not visiting or coming down for a few weeks at a time), you won't understand it.
    Nice attempt to outcast me. I still pay the same utility companies you make paymnt to each month. I'm i going to miss out on the daily rigimortis being in Miami -10-5 days per month - likely.

You did however made my point about accesibilty to the beach, which has been my contention about sprawl for many years. Now my perspective is obviously different. Dade county measures 2431 square miles, yet for what ever reason, less than 19 sq mi.. gets celebrated here. So it's useless to argue about how deficient land is managed as it's a fact. . The county I grew up measured 4751 square miles and pretty much had desirable places to live distributed evenly. My last address in LA was in East Hollywood ( that's what I called) known more popularly as Los Feliz. in all my life, I never lived outside a radius of six miles from city hall. I get the allure of living at the beach and God bless all those that can manage it. M did and when I was courting her, she had her own place in Marina Del Rey. From my perch I'd call her many times stating her marine layer looks awefull, so it was a better idea to come over and do something at Griffith Park which was practicully my back yard. So excuse me if I don't get the concept that a spit of 17 mi. is hallowed ground. And to further my point. whatever living in MB means to you, I've had exponetially more my 42 years in LA. So excuse my my inner Michael Franks whoi also left LA to live in a farm in upstate NY or me that resides in a wilderness area with two great golf courses.

It's all relative and to suugest I'm a Miami novice is ridiculous. I can read and understand the billboards W of the 95 and can modify my Spanish to Argentinian, Peruvian, Venezuelan, Cuban and Mexico... and more. That's my Miami and i understand it more than most here people stranded on a tiny spit. It;s hilariuos !

But let just say, contrary to my previous statements, the beach is OK.

Stark difference between residents on the beach and the mainland, and I've heard this numerous times here, is people watching. The so-called sexy people that bare all as would anyone guy or gal in a tropical lattitude. It's gawker sport and MB is the place to do it, if you're into it. Unless you're young and on the prowl, it's a spectator even. No touching much less talking. You just submitt your neck to a Gumby state.

Never understood this concept. I get the concept of eye candy but people watching I only subscribe to when my mother is in town and we get a table at Spris, a couple of pizzas and let my mother give play-by-play about the commings and goings at Score. When she gets to loud, I muzzle her.

On the mainland, it's different. We don't watch. We have these people over, or they us. Attractive people. My wife qualifies and I don't, but it always ends up with an out of town sobrina and the obligatory saying" Cuando vas a concusar ?

By choice, I live in " Greater Orlano." More specific, I live in the poorist county of the state.... two county lines removed from Orlando. If you want to diss me for that fact - go-for-it. I don't see what's " greater" than being holed and selling exclusively 18 sq. miles. of dredge.

While I growing up, a famous local newscaster always opened up his salutation with: from the desert to the sea.. What's funny here are some I can't comprehend beyond 18 sq. miles a dude from Indiana dredged up. And I was in MB when Colt fans got dissed in SB as being backward last time Miami Gardens hosted the Super Bowl. This is sh1t I already knew when I was watching Captian Kangaroo.

With this theme, I sought out if MB is parachiol. The responses have proved the affirmative.

So when a particular asks me the value of my Miami condo, it's because nobody in Miami is generally interested. The price is 9 two and that's a market price greater than " greater miami." and more like " from the desert to the sea."

MB .... give me a freak'n break !

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    MB .... give me a freak'n break !
    Well the site is, afterall, MiamiBeach 411...not Dade County or 'Greater Miami' 411.

If you dislike it so much or don't care 1 way or the other about Miami and Miami Beach, they why do you make so many threads lately about not caring about miami beach or 'am i a local', etc etc.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

Here's the trip. My last LA residence was 600 meters from The American Film Institue. Maybe Matt might remember the space when it was called Imaculate Heart of Mary College. Either way. I'm cool cool and don't get defensive when MAtt scaathes LA. By the same token, don't get riled up by people that weren't in MB when it mattered or was reallly happening 40 yrs ago.

The honest truth is ahoodie from Compton can sell his S of Adams Ave two bedroom bungalow and own Miami Beach.

Instead i get arses saying I'm not one of then.... then. I just sit back and watch them when they argue about places to eat with no fresh produce. #Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Well the site is, afterall, MiamiBeach 411...not Dade County or 'Greater Miami' 411.

If you dislike it so much or don't care 1 way or the other about Miami and Miami Beach, they why do you make so many threads lately about not caring about miami beach or 'am i a local', etc etc.
    I consider Gus & Michelle friends of mine. They grasciously hosted me at their home, as well as comped me 3 nights at the Sherbourne/ or whatever that place was caled. Spent three days in the Gus & Michelle where MB411 was born. Great comp/ especislly when the youg poopietor gave ne Gus;'s room.

i personally love the owners of this site. I truley do especially Gus who is native Californian. Say what want against me. Ther owners of MB$411 live happily 30 minutes further away to MB. Not my crereria - ours ?

I'm not really sure how the tour is distributed anymore. I probably need to go on it again, I think that last time was 2009 and a LOT has changed since then.

We talk about the whole city and even up into Broward on this site. People living in Homestead write in for advice on housing. We've expanded our coverage in terms of the forums and I like that. But, yeah, the places new things are popping up in his city are on the mainland, and that has been the biggest change here I've seen since moving back from gainesville in 2010. It feels like a real city now, or at least as real as Miami gets, so there's a sense of normalcy over here. I love the beach because it's fun to visit. Not sure I'd wanna live there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I'm not really sure how the tour is distributed anymore. I probably need to go on it again, I think that last time was 2009 and a LOT has changed since then.

We talk about the whole city and even up into Broward on this site. People living in Homestead write in for advice on housing. We've expanded our coverage in terms of the forums and I like that. But, yeah, the places new things are popping up in his city are on the mainland, and that has been the biggest change here I've seen since moving back from gainesville in 2010. It feels like a real city now, or at least as real as Miami gets, so there's a sense of normalcy over here. I love the beach because it's fun to visit. Not sure I'd wanna live there again.
    Maybe I've failed on a concept. If anyone, I think Matt gets my point .... notwithstanding he hates LA.

C'mon man ! I'm pusing for a better Miami beyond just 17 square miles. I swear, if I had the money, I'd buy this dilapadated building in downtown Miami. It's in moth balls a couple of blocks from Government Center. Judging by the still existing index you can still read beyond the grates, it was perhaps when Miami had a Jewerly District. Now that's a Gold Mine and I can't do anything about it. Hope somebody with balls eventually does. Turning that building into lofts will revitalize downtown and cause sprawl westward. It's an idea in my head that's going to pop. You now MB is saturated when a standard Chinese gal is gyrating at the Cleveland. Even people that profess to " people watch' have to agree we have to do better.

So ' Greater Orlando" got chatised in this space. Fischer might have hired that clown to sandwhich-board that message in Times Square ... " Plenty of room in the 16 sq mi. I created. Always a view and never a Jew."

To top it off and this notion I'm only in Miami a number of days the month and feebily get discreited (305) hoodness is laughable. So you're marroned in tight quatrers in MB. And if you stray, your confused about billboards in a language you have no clue about.

Aside a discormforting billboard and the trauma that might have caused ( pobrecito ) because he didn't under5stand i- LOL ! Same people who claim Miami is an extention of Latin America and 18 mi of dredged sand is going to protect them. As for me. I'm pretty muched learned on Latin America. I know the gripes, such as why Chileans hate Argentemians, Peruvians vs Ecuadorians, Colombia vs Venezuelans. A bit closer to us, Hondurans gripping about Salvadoeans is a trip, Interesting histories and plots..

More interstingly, I pretty much know the the history and visited places that constitute 70% of Maimi's populoation . If your on the beach, your bloke neighbor won't be there next season.

So to suffice, 18 sq, mi. is easy to figure out. It's not rocket science. If you want to say I'm not Miamian - what about you ? I think I have a superior grasp than most and if I happen to drive around in Little Haiti and don't understand a billboard, I'm going to seek going to seek it's meaning.

-whatever