we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By FredTheCatTravels
  • 2 Post By Hoppie
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: At what moment did you feel Miamian ?

Default At what moment did you feel Miamian ?

What a broad question and open to many interpretations. Neither of which are wrong.

When i felt it, I felt inspired to dedicate a topic here. maybe two years ago because I thought I grasped the deal - at least more than most.

it happened for me at the Miami Open when the the Bryan Bothers took stage vs. a Colombian dbls team. If you remember, i got screwed the day before as both men's semifinals got cancelled.

Anyways, when the music got balarring, it was like this until;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXnjy5YlDwk... and I embraced the relity of Miami. And when we got shuttled by a 60plus gentelman who tuned into his music from Cuba and i saw palms sway to Rosa de Canaela it was an epiphany. Miami in it's essense and totallity.

Well that'd just me ... embracing it all.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Default Re: At what moment did you feel Miamian ?

When life started to get way more fun than London. Life for me in Miami has always been like college. No curfew here and always warm, with always somewhere open. My crazy party days are over now, but for years I was out more nights than not.
    I look back to my first year though and I felt very Miami. Nikki Beach Sundays, spending every weekend at the beach, July 4 fireworks, and meeting many cool people. Weird stuff too, like Bob the fish, who was Matt's fish to be precise, given to me in a red solo cup to babysit him. His funeral was at the pier and a bunch of us went. See, weird fun stuff living here in Miami.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Damn spelling ( fat finger )

I remember my fisrt visit to Miami was for work and was put up at The Doral. Their was a miss Florida Competition being hosted at the hotel, so that was sweet.
    Didn't have a car and took taxis to my appointments. Needless to say it was a good impression until I rendezvous with a gf on the east side where we stayed at the Doubletree on Bayshore and as a coincidence a Hawaiian Tropic contestants where boarding there and most handed me their Mrs. Fields Cookies which is a traditional handout at that chain. . So my first two visits I was surrounded with beauty and something started to click this city was a different place ... and I saw the water line and took the bait.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 10-26-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Awwww....BOB! I miss Bob.

That's a tough one for me because it's been so long, but it was probably when I went and joined the human chain in front of Elian's house, then went for ropa vieja at Versailles afterward. Neither are things I"d do now, as the Latin influences of Miami are no longer entertaining for me. But that was probably when I first felt like I was really part of the city and what was going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Awwww....BOB! I miss Bob.

That's a tough one for me because it's been so long, but it was probably when I went and joined the human chain in front of Elian's house, then went for ropa vieja at Versailles afterward. Neither are things I"d do now, as the Latin influences of Miami are no longer entertaining for me. But that was probably when I first felt like I was really part of the city and what was going on here.
    It's still an evolving process for me as can't yet commit to your two year test. Maybe one day.

As far as Elian, I saw that go down from afar and when I became a Floridian, I had to take the obligatory pic.

Name:  elian.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  72.3 KB

I personally wouldn't highlight that event, but I'm sure it was a high intensity Miami moment. I know the gusanos milk any event that they can, but claiming and wanting to pocess a child over his own father, affectied and changed my opinion about that community. But your example highlights how warped minds revel living in a dysfunctional city. It's never boring.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 10-26-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Aw your baby is so cute!

I haven't been so into the latin influence but I do think the city as a whole is beautiful. Especially Old Cutler Road and the Banyan trees.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

For me it was when I noticed myself becoming so jaded. I've lost my southern niceness.

When seeing a big celebrity in person didn't faze me, when I flipped off a driver for almost running me over with their car.
    Jess likes this.

Blackford is that the actual closet from the picture? Is it like a museum now or something?

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

I don't really know whether I feel "Miamian". I think I don't. But I definitely feel a Miami resident and usually that is best exemplified when returning home after yet another deadly business trip to a dark, cold, wet place out there with a damp hangar and no good coffee in sight. On the plane home you see vacationers dressed like (--- *censored* ---) and other types that go do Miami and I smile and shake my head and when I'm asked when I go on holiday (I am excessively NW European) I just say "Nah, I go back home." The faces

I definitely can cope with existence here. However, due to my job, I still don't feel like living here. I likely miss out on about 99% of what Miami is famous for, simply because I don't have the time and/or the money to experience it. The ugly truth of Miami: few people working here (especially if they are the sole source of family income due to restrictive visa laws) enjoy the place. You can only really enjoy the place if you don't need to work.

Hoppie
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

I am coming up on ten years here. And I must admit, I have been through so many cycles of living here... My first year I was so enamored with living by a beach, living in Miami, meeting new people, getting drunk, etc. A few years later I knew where things were, had solid friends, that made life easier. Still was unkind to my liver and didn't sleep enough, but it was more balanced.

Year five onwards I was much more settled, and drunk nights til 5am were being replaced with sunrises seen from the getting up side of the day. Far more enjoyable. Got engaged... had some health issues that forced a lifestyle change but I was on my way there anyway. Became a paddle board teacher, and spent more time at the beach than I ever did before. I will always love the beach.

Lately, I feel Miamian because I'm getting meaner, less tolerant of people's stupidity and lack of respect. Probably I am at the point Matt M was when I met him. I'm pretty White Dade at this point. Moaning on these forums aside, Miami life can make you hardened. No one drives well. People are rude. Of course, you can be all sunny side up and half full and not focus on this. But there's no doubt that if you lived in small town USA or even regular USA, it wouldn't happen this often. Maybe once or twice a week rather than the daily occurrence of drivers running stop signs and drunk entitled trust fund kids doing stupid shit.

Anyway I guess I am just missing the seasons and I have always been a gypsy soul. I like to wander and live all over. But let's see what the next 48 hours brings and who wins the election. That might bring about a change in continents.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Blackford is that the actual closet from the picture? Is it like a museum now or something?
    It is. It was open on Sundays to the public for a few hours. Not sure now. I visited maybe six years ago. One of the uncles was still living there at the time. The house remains in the same state as during those hectic days. It's free but we dropped a Jackson in the donation jar.

As a coincidence, Janet Reno passed today. I supported her efforts in reuniting a child with his father.

Ok, I just looked it up. Looks like visitation is encouraged now during the week.

Museum Where Elian Gonzalez Was Captured Museum of the Battle of Ideas Address:2319 NW 2nd St., Miami, FLDirections:The museum is the home of Delfin Gonzalez, Elian's great uncle. Find a parking spot on the street, walk to the front door, and knock. Fluency in Spanish is helpful. West of downtown and east of the airport, in the Little Havana district. From the Dolphin Expy/Hwy 836, take the exit onto NW 27th Ave./Hwy 9. Drive south about a mile, then turn left onto NW 3rd St. Drive five blocks, turn right onto NW 23rd Ave., then immediately turn right again onto NW 2nd St. Elian's house will be the third one on the right; it's sometimes decorated with flags and a big crucifix. Hours:No set hours. Delfin is often home during the week. Please be polite - See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story....9O06dWXl.dpuf
    Unlike what this website might suggest, the closet wasn't in Elian's bedroom. Here's my mother rumaging through his actual closet.

Name:  elianscloset.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  85.7 KB

It's not an essential Miami visit but it's worth it if you're bored one day and are in the area. We only went because my mother was all into that novela . Topped it off with lunch at Versallies.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    It's still an evolving process for me as can't yet commit to your two year test. Maybe one day.

What is the 2 year test?

that was my favorite post from you ever, Jess. And don't kid yourself. you're never leaving.
    Jess likes this.

Thanks. Been feeling pretty wistful lately. Missing England and family. Miami has put me through some shit this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Asunnysnowman View Post
    What is the 2 year test?
    That's my mark of when people tend to get the F out of Miami, because it's not the paradise they expected. That's seemed to increase in recent years, as we've opened a lot more American-feeling businesses, and the city has become more of, well, a city. That said, a LOT of people move here with sunshine in their eyes and realize how awful the people are, and how living here is like living in another country, and how it's a lot harder than coming here on vacation. And two years is the first breaking point. The next is 6 years (not sure why, but that seems to be the time when a lot more people get fed up) then 15. Not sure what's after that. 25 maybe?