• 2 Post By FredTheCatTravels
  • 1 Post By FredTheCatTravels
  • 2 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By Jess
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: Miami Traffic asides

Default Miami Traffic asides

There was an online bitch session last night in LA, The LA Coliseum was at 1500 peep capacity at 730P pacific kick off. Unlike UM, if your a USC student, you walk across Exposition Blvd and the Rose Garden. My visiting lads from Northridge and Woodland Hills also goffed at the clomplaints primarilary because, and I appreciated their admission, that's the priceyou pay. Then we tested a public transportation site that would have gotten be to LA Coliseum 17 minutes before either. All cases under an hour. All cases within 25 miles. That's choas in Mami and 305 hasen't even been hit by a Carmageddon though you hear bitching is comming to MB and we're all f'd.

I get the traffic in Miami is bad. If I don't time my exit out of Claughton it could take me 15 mins at a bad hour. I don't bitch about it, because I know the price. Complaining abot Miami drivers is another thing.

Don't know because the transplants complain the loudest about traffic.

I can't the link of the meet-up we had at Key Biscayne or the video of me and Carlos Miller getting provisions. That viedeo is insightful, as Miller got me to El mago de los fritas is less than 30 minutes from Brickell. The video would have been self explanitory on how locals deal with traffic. I've seen exponentailly worse .. Dios mio ! But like Miller, last time in LA, I got to Burbank from Malibu under 40 minutes.

Bitching about traffic is for the naivette.

Default Re: Miami Traffic asides

YOu know why I bitch about it, Blackford? Because the city, in its infinite greed, didn't plan for it. Like going up and down 95 at rush hour, and east and west on the various state routes, yeah, that's part of an urban commute. But Brickell was built new, when we knew about traffic, as has much along the 95 corridor, and instead of jamming as many highrises as possible, you can zone the area so traffic doesn't choke it out. Thats why we HAVE zoning. It's called civic planning, something Miami knows nothing about. Had we set a limit at the number of highrises that could be in Brickell, and instead focused on making it a drivable, livable community with wider roads, shorter buidlngs, and more open space, it wouldn't be the nightmare it is today. And it's a peek into what Edgewater, Midtown, and probably Little Haiti will look like in 10 years, That gridlock all the way from the Roads to North Miami.

But Miami is not a city that's ever cared about anything but the buck. And THAT'S why I complain. Because civic planning could have made it a lot better. Also, the terrible drivers. But that's another story.
    Jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    YOu know why I bitch about it, Blackford? Because the city, in its infinite greed, didn't plan for it. Like going up and down 95 at rush hour, and east and west on the various state routes, yeah, that's part of an urban commute. But Brickell was built new, when we knew about traffic, as has much along the 95 corridor, and instead of jamming as many highrises as possible, you can zone the area so traffic doesn't choke it out. Thats why we HAVE zoning. It's called civic planning, something Miami knows nothing about. Had we set a limit at the number of highrises that could be in Brickell, and instead focused on making it a drivable, livable community with wider roads, shorter buidlngs, and more open space, it wouldn't be the nightmare it is today. And it's a peek into what Edgewater, Midtown, and probably Little Haiti will look like in 10 years, That gridlock all the way from the Roads to North Miami.

But Miami is not a city that's ever cared about anything but the buck. And THAT'S why I complain. Because civic planning could have made it a lot better. Also, the terrible drivers. But that's another story.
    For the record, the only time I sweated in Miami traffic was to let you you know I was going through meet you at Oleta two minutes late - remember ?

As far as civic planning, we're on the same page. The 95 on ramp is 4 or five blocks from where we live and still a good 25 min. juant. People that don't nt complain about traffic live next to cornfields.

I still laugh about the bitching of Miami traffic. You know I've seen worse and you're you're familiar with the "Orange Crush"from your Newport days.

It's the price for the high life.

Well said Matt. Same goes for the beach. Stop building pleeeease! We only have 2 bridges!

Oh, LA traffic DESTROYS Miami. But the thing about LA is it was planned (or not planned, depending how you look at it) at the dawn of automobiles, and before the US saw any cities out west with a tremendous population explosion. So they had to react to the influx of people, with no real precedent for how to do it. It'll never be solved. Miami developed into a major US city in the 80s and 90s, and had years of seeing the mistakes of places like LA and the Bay Area, and STILL F-ed it up. Like we could have sat there at some point in the 90s and said "We need to figure out how to manage this before it gets out of hand."

But of course, that never happened.

I point again to Houston, a city that planned its growth remarkably. Yes, it still has commuter traffic like any large city, but you're talking about the 4th largest city in the country and it doesn't have traffic as near the problem of places like Miami, DC, Seattle and Atlanta. All much smaller metros that planned poorly.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

My husband left a very good job in Miami because the commute between downtown FLL/Las Olas and South Miami was destroying his quality of life.

We didn't move to Miami because we love Fort Lauderdale.

#EBIB
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

I know lab techs that live in Rialto ( 55 miles ) that commute everyday into Los Angeles. I'm sure it's tough... but they don't bitch about routine like everytime AF1 pays MB a visit.

Traffic might be bad in Miami .... but geeze, I've seen and lived much worse. Drivers, perhaps not.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post

Traffic might be bad in Miami .... but geeze, I've seen and lived much worse. Drivers, perhaps not.
    That's the problem, it's the drivers. It's not like one or two random bad drivers on I95, it is so many don't know how to drive. It's common for someone to come to a complete stop or fly over five lanes of traffic without looking.

When you are commuting between Miami and Fort Lauderdale on a regular basis, it isn't IF you'll get in an accident but WHEN.
    Jess likes this.

Yes. Lets also take into account I-95 is ergomically flawed between Broward and Dade. I grew up with sophitisticated hwys, but when I transiton from the Turnpike unto The 95, I perk up becuase of the drivers.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Yeah EVERY DAMN TIME within a mile of getting through he Golden Glades somebody does something that makes me go "oh SHIT I'm back in Miami. Wake up."
    Jess likes this.

I commute quite regularly to Central FL, and it is such a pleasant drive until Golden Glades. Then it becomes Mario Kart. Scary as shit.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Oh my God that happened to me yesterday. Like a total relaxing day until that last turn onto 95.
    Jess likes this.