Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What's Up With South of Fifth?

Default Re: What's Up With South of Fifth?

When I moved to Miami I moved to 3rd street, and it definitely is the reason I still live here to this day. That first six months I met a lot of locals and friends just being in the SoFi area. Because it is so small, people are friendly and it doesn't take long for people to recognize you as a local. It's hard to get that vibe for a week or two, and I am sorry you are having a bad week. But imagine always going to Pura Vida or that Starbucks every day or a few times a week... it wouldn't take long at all for you to meet the same faces. And that's how you start to make friends etc. SoFi is the best place to do this as it is so small. Plus the beach is awesome to meet people. And it's so pretty! When I lived there the park wasn't even built yet, but now you can walk all the way round or rent bikes etc. I would choose living there any day over Brickell.
    Also, the hedge fund thing, no one really gives a shit what other people do. Not the cool people anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    But imagine always going to Pura Vida or that Starbucks every day or a few times a week... it wouldn't take long at all for you to meet the same faces. And that's how you start to make friends etc. SoFi is the best place to do this as it is so small.
    I agree and don't forget Joe's for Breakfast! Everyone is so friendly there and its lot's of locals and snowbirds so you'll see them again throughout the year.

Just last Sunday I was there in my Eagles jersey and some Philly people were down for the winter and stopped by my table and we started chatting. Gave them a biz card and they are trying to get me some tickets to next Sunday's game when I go up there!

Prior to that, usually every other visit someone stops by my table to say hi to my lil' man or tell me how cute he is :-)

Very friendly people in that neck of the woods (probably because they aren't from Miami originally ;-) )
    Jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    When I moved to Miami I moved to 3rd street, and it definitely is the reason I still live here to this day. That first six months I met a lot of locals and friends just being in the SoFi area. Because it is so small, people are friendly and it doesn't take long for people to recognize you as a local. It's hard to get that vibe for a week or two, and I am sorry you are having a bad week. But imagine always going to Pura Vida or that Starbucks every day or a few times a week... it wouldn't take long at all for you to meet the same faces. And that's how you start to make friends etc. SoFi is the best place to do this as it is so small. Plus the beach is awesome to meet people. And it's so pretty! When I lived there the park wasn't even built yet, but now you can walk all the way round or rent bikes etc. I would choose living there any day over Brickell.
    Also, the hedge fund thing, no one really gives a shit what other people do. Not the cool people anyway.
    I'm all in on SoFi which is congruent to what I've been saying all these years about my dislike of NoFi and buildings that should have been razed years ago, That's neither here nor there. I do like SoFi and it's subjective as to our preferences. Naturally people want to live or dream living at a beach, and I'm cool that that premium is a norm.

Never been to Pura Vida and that name is attractive to me as that's how Costa Rican's say hello and respond to almost anything. . I like Joe's but as for breakfast, Big Pink is as hearty as it gets. And again, I miss Clarke's. It was the most comfortable place to eat or drink for me in all of Miami in the day.

Other than Siesta Key and maybe Fort DeSoto, the concession area at South Pointe doesn't slouch far behind. One of Miami's best areas to chill.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 11-03-2016 at 10:15 AM.

It's worth obsevring that San Diego has consistenty rated as more a desirable place to live than Miami. More than that, it's always ranked one two or three.

Living not too much to her N, my city mates always treated her as a bItch. I personally wouldn't live there, but I understand the rankings considering the nation as a whole. By no means am I saying it's not a grrat place, except meeting my wife in La Jolla. None of my city compatriots would even consider moving there. It's there if we want to venture to go to a great zoo, Del Mar in season, or a passage through Tijuana. Staying in San Diego, never a crossing thought.

It's amazing how Plato's Allegory of the Cave is relevasnt in today's age.

Desirable depends upon whom one is asking and their perspective--and your instincts about not wanting to move there are correct.

....if I were from Missouri or Iowa, San Diego would be the most exciting place in the world and I would get a hard on just thinking about partying at Dick's Last Resort in the Gaslamp with the local 24 year old's still working on their high school equivalency degree and the conventioneers in town, having just finished an overpriced mediocre meal....but I'm from NY, in which case San Diego is nothing more than an unsophisticated suburb of Los Angeles and Tijuana....(SF and Marin is another matter, which SD does not remotely come close to--in terms of class or cosmopolitan stature).....as for the nice suburbs or beach communities, if one considers Boca Raton and Delray Beach as happening, exciting places to live then those same people will wet their pants in Del Mar, Encinitas, Carlsbad, etc--given my background, Del Mar rapidly becomes Dull Mar at 9PM on most evenings when the streets are empty (resembling people hiding for cover when Clint Eastwood rolls into town in one of his old spaghetti western movies...or Lawrence Taylor entering a bar at UNC during his college days--everyone scattered, with good reason). If I were married with 2.2 kids and a dog then these lifeless places would have more appeal to me and my neutered lifestyle. I never read too much into polls--in many cities, Cheesecake Factory is the most popular restaurant in town; that does not make it the best.

I can state several reasons why Miami is superior to SD:
    --Better restaurants
    --Better nightlife
    --Better ocean one can go in without a wetsuit every day v. 90 in SD
    --Demonstrably and more better looking women who age better (because of their Latina genes and/or humidity; by the time a woman reaches 35 in SD odds are she will start looking like Gov. Jan Brewer with dried out skin).
    --closer to Europe and Latin America (where I vacation)...2.5-3 hour plane ride gets you to 30_ foreign countries vs. still only 1 from SD (maybe 2 if plane hurries and lands in Vancouver by 3 hours).
    --no income tax
    --4 professional sports teams vs. 2
    --dress codes enforced at night, raises the bar
    --full service, regional airport hub for major legacy airline
    --city that actually has gotten things built and redeveloped (So. Pointe Park, Brickell City Centre, ongoing construction and cranes throughout the city....with SD, moving goal posts taking years for things to get built or approved--either by the City, the Port, or the Coastal Commission....Miami already has what I want NOW; San Diego might in 10 years or not at all....you guys complain about too much development--I would rather have that over slow or no development for my final 20-35 years on this planet....at least Miami has evolved into a world class city; SD will never get there--will always be a stepchild of LA.

But, above could just be me....traffic?--no worse than SoCal....people more direct--good, I will blend in. Weather?--San Diego gets the clear edge June - September (though it can, and has exceeded 108 where I live in late August and Sept where I live with humid weather with no breeze in 2 of the past 4 years) whereas I will take Miami weather the rest of the year.

Is San Diego an awful place to live?...no, just dull--Bland Diego....So, just waiting for an acceptable offer...current contract with "laid back" (definition = where half ass is full speed) realtor expires and getting set to go with more aggressive one in February, with hopes of being miserable in Miami by May.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    It's worth obsevring that San Diego has consistenty rated as more a desirable place to live than Miami. More than that, it's always ranked one two or three.

Living not too much to her N, my city mates always treated her as a bItch. I personally wouldn't live there, but I understand the rankings considering the nation as a whole. By no means am I saying it's not a grrat place, except meeting my wife in La Jolla. None of my city compatriots would even consider moving there. It's there if we want to venture to go to a great zoo, Del Mar in season, or a passage through Tijuana. Staying in San Diego, never a crossing thought.

It's amazing how Plato's Allegory of the Cave is relevasnt in today's age.
    Last edited by elchevere; 11-03-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Perspective is a key. I'm I'm in total acccordance with that. It's all about perspectives and where we've been.

I truthfully don't know much about San Diego, All I remember is visiting my sister in Rancho Bernardo and advising my sister I was kidnapping my her husband and hesading to TJ with her car to get it jacked wirh Freon. Only a Californian understands that poignant point, Here in FL, it doesen't matter, and it's legal.

As far as perspectives, the Rockies is a stiff pass. it's more likely a Hawkeye from Iowa finds a perch in Fl. than socal. Florida is definitelty the path of least resistency. The same can be said of a Jay Hawk from Kansas or an Orioles from the Mid-Atlantic. by now, you have probaby have found out I screech

As I've previuosly said, I admire how you are approaching the move. I can't comment on your resto comments as I stick to about four places and I'm mainly a in-house guy. As you found out, Miami is not as cheap as Lobster at Rosarito.

All I can as a native Californian, I have no gripes about moving here, and it can be argued I've choosen to primarily live in a place more boring than San Diego and definitely. MB. Remember, the perspective part is the crucial key.

I personally like the Brickell area, If I was younger, not married and laden wirh a beautifull daughter, I'd probably opt for the beach. Key Biscayne obviouslly. LOL !

Nobody here talks about KB, but you've done your home work. Trust you're gut. dude and good luck.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    .as for the nice suburbs or beach communities, if one considers Boca Raton and Delray Beach as happening, exciting places to live
    Haha! elchevere, I can't imagine anyone on the planet thinks Boca or Delray as happening or exciting.

Beautiful? Yes, but that's it.

I'm in white bread Fort Lauderdale and we'd whither and die up there.

Delray is a lot of fun, rarely have a bad night up there and the scene is SOOOO much easier than in Miami. Also it's American, which I appreciate as I'm not a fan of International anything.

That said, Brickell is the shits. Seriously I live there because I have a great deal on my apt and a great view, but past that it's the worst. Traffic Construction. And the restaurants and bars are, with a few exceptions, just ok. Like new places in a new area but nothing all that special. If it's between there and SoFi, it's not even a choice.
    Jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Delray is a lot of fun, rarely have a bad night up there and the scene is SOOOO much easier than in Miami.
    I have never been there. Gonna have to check it out if you like it... I need a change as usual.

That said, Brickell is the shits. Seriously I live there because I have a great deal on my apt and a great view, but past that it's the worst. Traffic Construction. And the restaurants and bars are, with a few exceptions, just ok. Like new places in a new area but nothing all that special. If it's between there and SoFi, it's not even a choice.
    Exactly why I am still in SoBe. My rent is from the 2008 crash, and I have a great view and location. Other than that, I'm kind of over the traffic and rude people. Never encountered anything like it, and after all these years it is getting old.

Can't beat that beach though. Will always love the beach here.

Delray should be easier--that's called suburbia..No different than any other city v suburbia. Marin v SF, Long Island v Manhattan, etc. Also, SoFi and SoBe certainly has a noticeable international presence and crowd.

..if you have a problem with the food in Brickell, I am shocked to hear you think the food is better in Delray. What restos have I missed??...Once I outgrow the 6 block stretch of Atlantic Avenue and smaller Pineapple area within 3 weeks--with a crowd that makes me feel as though I'm on the set of "Jersey Shore"..yo, Situation-- you can drive 15 minutes to Boca (with law enforcement on the watch for DUI along the way) for like, homogeneous atmosphere or 15 minutes to West Palm, which I liken to a giant Ocean Drive minus the oceanfront with even crappier restaurants and Dick's Last Resort ambiance. I've got a high net worth friend who lives 1 house from the ocean in PB at the end of Australian and The Breakers, Worth Avenue and Buccan are lovely, but a bit too slow for me. Delray might be fine to spend one weekend night visiting a friend every 3 months, but not living there--at least for me.

Reminds me of my days of living in Orange County, CA....I frequently had to escape "the curtain" and head up to LA for excitement...many people I met, white like me--but ultra conservative--would explain to me "we prefer it here where it is clean and safe" and would not go beyond the OC County line if you paid them....aside from my taking their "line" as some form of dog whistle, I would tell them "I prefer dirty and dangerous to clean and safe, more fun".
    Last edited by elchevere; 11-07-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Maybe you can expand on this for us:
    Reminds me of my days of living in Orange County, CA....I frequently had to escape "the curtain" and head up to LA for excitement...many people I met, white like me--but ultra conservative--would explain to me "we prefer it here where it is clean and safe" and would not go beyond the OC County line if you paid them....aside from my taking their "line" as some form of dog whistle, I would tell them "I prefer dirty and dangerous to clean and safe, more fun".

It's not a challenge but something I might be adept at. Something alomg the lines of Pat Boone's kids smoking a refer with me after 2AM, in the day at a Diane von Furtenburg's above a pad the Sunset Strip by claimant with relative status. There are too many instances for me to name. I forgo Ernest Bognine and Peter Finch's s kid 's here friends of mine's at youth. Not sure what you mean about " dog whistles." All i know is eventuslly I partied with the Nardobi sisters. Their father bought Walt Disney's pad on Griffith Park Blvd, Outside Alan Carr's invite to o his after party, none cou;d be be bested.

That's now folklore. I've never been an OC person and have always prided myself as .W of La Brea person. Plenty of materiiqo just with that. I'm intrigued by your suggestion. Sadly there are no such curtains in Miami. To make it clearer. Mel Gibson's new movie might be a smash and migt getv Hollywood acclaim.... Miami is stil a light year away from your current geo-tsg. You now best, Just tell me about those dog whisltle's in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Haha! elchevere, I can't imagine anyone on the planet thinks Boca or Delray as happening or exciting.

Beautiful? Yes, but that's it.

I'm in white bread Fort Lauderdale and we'd whither and die up there.

With my due respect to Cat, Fort Lauderdale is a yawn I tried to prove the contrary, but Boca and Delray is in the same category.... unless you're a yachee. Nothing special there aside a museum that features stuff better than Miami. Those tales told to you my old aunt's has materilized to spring breasking in Pensacola,

Didn't waste much time there, King Tut exhibit years ago was awesome - that's it.. Boca or Delrey are better options based on my perspectives. All i know is staying at the W in Ft. Lauderdale is something I'll never commit to again.

Any opinions on the W Hotel in Ft Lauderdale?

Personally, Hallandale is a a better option. Much more to do there and nearby.

by dog whistles, OC has had a history of racism--be it the John Burch Society to Tom Metzger and the Aryan Nation to the KKK, which had an incident in Anaheim as recently as this past February which is one reason why the term "orange curtain" was coined in the first place. Though the county has evolved in recent years (sans the KKK incident this past spring), the term "great white flight" was coined to describe the movement of many white residents to the southern part of the county as the central and northern parts have become considerably more diversified and integrated (Latino, Muslim, etc)....whenever I heard "we prefer it here where it's clean and safe" back in the 80's when I tried getting people to go up to a much more integrated LA with me, I always wondered whether that was code for: we prefer not go to to LA where there are many more people whose skin color might be darker than ours. Hence, my dog whistle reference....a simple Google search on this topic will yield pages of results on OC's history.....no doubt this exists in many other areas of the country, including FL, but I've always preferred hanging in more diversified places--dog whistle/code: urban areas (even though I grew up in a homogeneous, affluent white neighborhood in predominantly homogeneous Long Island).
    Last edited by elchevere; 11-07-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Personally, Hallandale is a a better option. Much more to do there and nearby.
    And what is there to do in Hallandale besides Gulfstream park? (was there tonight and it was empty as usual).

East Ft. Lauderdale / Las Olas is way better than those other places you mentioned.

Delray has an artsy scene to go with their local bars so its not a total bore like Boca.

Ft. Lauderdale has casinos like Hallandale, a huge cruise port, a big airport so its great for traveling. Lots of fairs/festivals, an excellent boating community, good restaurants, a long beautiful Ocean Dr (much bigger than Sobe's), very pretty beach, lots of dive bars, some decent shopping...oh and let's not forget, much nicer people..

...I don't see what there is to dislike really.

Thanks for the praise about my research--though I have been more fortunate than most in that my job has taken me to South Florida something like 18 times times in the past 3 years (with a good portion on the company's nickel). As a result, I have probably had far more opportunities than many to explore the area before deciding upon moving--certainly far more than the person who has visited once or twice on vacation and then decided to move to the area based on those limited number of visits (let alone with or without a job, which I will be keeping when I finally make it on over).

Perspective is a key. I'm I'm in total acccordance with that. It's all about perspectives and where we've been.

I truthfully don't know much about San Diego, All I remember is visiting my sister in Rancho Bernardo and advising my sister I was kidnapping my her husband and hesading to TJ with her car to get it jacked wirh Freon. Only a Californian understands that poignant point, Here in FL, it doesen't matter, and it's legal.

As far as perspectives, the Rockies is a stiff pass. it's more likely a Hawkeye from Iowa finds a perch in Fl. than socal. Florida is definitelty the path of least resistency. The same can be said of a Jay Hawk from Kansas or an Orioles from the Mid-Atlantic. by now, you have probaby have found out I screech

As I've previuosly said, I admire how you are approaching the move. I can't comment on your resto comments as I stick to about four places and I'm mainly a in-house guy. As you found out, Miami is not as cheap as Lobster at Rosarito.

All I can as a native Californian, I have no gripes about moving here, and it can be argued I've choosen to primarily live in a place more boring than San Diego and definitely. MB. Remember, the perspective part is the crucial key.

I personally like the Brickell area, If I was younger, not married and laden wirh a beautifull daughter, I'd probably opt for the beach. Key Biscayne obviouslly. LOL !

Nobody here talks about KB, but you've done your home work. Trust you're gut. dude and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Thanks for the praise about my research--though I have been more fortunate than most in that my job has taken me to South Florida something like 18 times times in the past 3 years (with a good portion on the company's nickel). As a result, I have probably had far more opportunities than many to explore the area before deciding upon moving--certainly far more than the person who has visited once or twice on vacation and then decided to move to the area based on those limited number of visits (let alone with or without a job, which I will be keeping when I finally make it on over).
    You're good, lock and loaded. And if it doesn't work out, it's basically a touch pad for Rio.

My best wishes, bro,

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    And what is there to do in Hallandale besides Gulfstream park? (was there tonight and it was empty as usual).

East Ft. Lauderdale / Las Olas is way better than those other places you mentioned.

Delray has an artsy scene to go with their local bars so its not a total bore like Boca.

Ft. Lauderdale has casinos like Hallandale, a huge cruise port, a big airport so its great for traveling. Lots of fairs/festivals, an excellent boating community, good restaurants, a long beautiful Ocean Dr (much bigger than Sobe's), very pretty beach, lots of dive bars, some decent shopping...oh and let's not forget, much nicer people..

...I don't see what there is to dislike really.
    I'm cool with Gulfstrteam and Chettah's across the bridge. Just a thought because of the perspective thing: In my mid-set Lauderdale is part of Miami.Open to debate, for sure. As an Angelino I sccepted Monrovis as my own

Eche, this is how the local game is played here, If you get an invite to a rad party in Pomona -you go without questions. Over here, they treat any travel beyond 15 mi. as a space voyage into the twiilight zone. In our parlance, hitting up Lauderdale is like going over the hill and ending up in Pacoima.

It's all misguided perceptions. If you eventually end up in Rio, Angra dos Rios is a nice excursion. Too complicated for the concept oici8cateicated you get what I'm saying. In LA, that meant we are going to Pirate's Cove in Malibi, or Zuma Beach without the compliacations of a county next door. For the record, I do love Ventura County,

Ahhh...your OC comment underlies our difference in Philosophy, my friend. I think OC is 100 times better than LA, like LA without all the shitty parts. I'm one who like clean, easy, efficient and, yes, frequently homogeneous. International doesn't interest me. Nor does density. Brickell, out side the Mandarin Oriental doesn't really have any GREAT restaurants. A few good pizza places and Batch for bar food, but nothing where I'd say "Oh this is a great place for food." Even Doral is a little better, IMO. Delray is a novelty, so it's hard for me to say if the food there is BETTER, it's just different as equally as good.

But to me, I like less traffic, shorter lines, cleaner streets and English speakers. I'll take OC over LA any day, and Delray over Brickell.
    Jess likes this.

Seriously, you're making Delray sound more and more interesting.

And they just got a Rok:Brgr! I'm sure that's a huge selling point for you, Jess, but still that's a great spot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast