Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Looking for a cheap, short-term, used car

Hi everybody,
    I am a Romanian visiting scientist to the UM. I am looking for a really cheap used car to help me with the comute plus occasional shopping and/or touristy stuff. Since I'm here only for ~3.5 months, I'm looking for something <1k that may be sold afterwards before I'm leaving. Nothing fancy, it should run, steer and brake. Registration may be a pain since I don't have (yet) a SSN or a Florida DL, so a dealer option looks like the best (?)
    I've been suggested that I may "borrow" somebody's old car, get an insurance on my name on that just to relieve them from worries and responsabilities and bring it back in February. No success so far.
    Rental is not a good option since it is quite expensive with me holding only a EU license and no major CC. Rental companies would ask anywhere between $200-320/week which is way beyond my affordable budget.
    Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    Silviu

Default Re: Looking for a cheap, short-term, used car

Sadly I can't help you with any personal vehciles, but have you looked at any of the Spanish Langauge auto sale sites?

https://miami-fl.auto.com/cars-for-sale/?sort=price_asc

You may be best suited to just wait until you get here and go to a couple of lots in places like Hialeah to see what you can find. Take Uber to the dealers. There are also some car rental services by the hour like Skurt and Getaround. You won't have a car, but you can borrow them easily. Sharing economy, and whatnot. Just depends how frequently you'll need a car.

If you're at UM you can move near a Metrorail stop and take the train to work (Way better than parking on campus anyway) then just use Skurt or something when you need a car. Uber is a good option too, it's cheap here.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you find.

New User

Thanks a lot Matt, these are interesting suggestion. I'll give a try and let you know.
    My comute is not complicated, I live in Coral Way and had to go daily to Key Biscayne Marine campus. Theoretically it can be done in about 45 mins one way - practically, it gets more complicated and nasty because I'm working long hours in the lab, so when you step outside at around midnight you'd like to be in your bed asap... not easy at all with public tranportation.
    But I'm not complaining - there are many pros and cons about having a car in Miami as a foreigner, so I just don't know. Also the price of public transport is not that cheap such as to encouraging one to use it.
    Best, Silviu

Oooh...yeah you don't wanna be doing that trip late-night. How far down Coral Way are you?

Keep us posted on how it goes.