we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Jess
  • 2 Post By FredTheCatTravels
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Hello all! Moving to the area, looking for some advice

New User

Default Hello all! Moving to the area, looking for some advice

Hello everyone! Nice forum you have here.. I've read some posts and am interested in some feedback. I'm going to be taking a job out near Miami Beach.. the work location is off John F Kennedy Causeway, near North Bay Village.

I've lived in a few cities around the states, and am a fairly young person with only a wife and a dog. I'll have sufficient income to choose (to a certain extent) where I'm living. I think, from what I've read, that focusing on keeping the commute to a minimum will help my quality of life immensely.

Am I crazy for considering living in North Bay Village? Will I have constant issues trying to get to goods and services which are not located on the little island there?

It looks like Palmetto Bay has some good options.. safe area with reasonably affordable housing (for Miami anyways).. is that commute going to be killer? I looked on google maps from Palmetto Bay (and just south of there) for the traffic and it's saying 45 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes for the commute at the time in the morning I'll be going. Will be commuting in to the office around 10am M-F. On the low side (45 minutes) I could probably live with that.. on the high side 1:05.. thats going to make it a long day and I'd like to avoid that.

It seems like up north Hollywood and just south of there has a slightly better commute time, so we're also considering that as well. We plan to rent for the time being until we get to know the city better. Though it seems like $2500 is about the minimum for a decent house within range of work.

Besides south and north of Miami proper.. keeping more to the east.. are there areas I should be looking at? It seems like for the same money, the quality of housing to be in Miami proper drops off staggeringly.

Thanks for any constructive input!

Default Re: Hello all! Moving to the area, looking for some advice

Hi and welcome to the forums. Congrats on the move too... and let me be the first of many to say move close to where you work. North Bay Village is really nice! Right on the water, the beach is walking distance pretty much, the shops are a short drive away and best of all you're near everything!

If you move to Palmetto Bay You. Will. Want. To. Kill. Yourself.

Yes its gorgeous. but that 45 minute commute in rush hour could be up to 3 hours. Oh, and no one can drive here, so living that far way will be utterly miserable commuting it also. Choose North Bay Village, and live near the beach, shops and enjoy life.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I hate to sound like a broken record, but a commute here can kill your quality of life.

My husband left a very good job in Miami because of a commute.

Commutes here are measured in minutes not miles.

A five mile commute can take you 40 minutes easy during rush hour.

Live close to where you work.
    Jess and NetworkStatic like this.

New User

Thanks for the feedback so far! You all are confirming what I thought to be the case. I did some research on car insurance and it seems that I will be able to save some of the additional cost of being off the mainland in lower rates. Looks to be a somewhat sizable difference between Miami Beach zip codes and mainland zip codes. So it may end up being nearly a wash.

Yep...and if NBV is too sleepy for you mid-Miami Beach isn't far at all, and maybe a little more exciting. Surfside isn't a bad option either. But as EVERYONE has said, live close to your work, absolutely.

New User

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions!

And when you choose your car insurance, make sure you pay more for the uninsured driver coverage. Because if you get into an accident, chances are they won't be insured.

New User

Thank you! I did read an article that referred jokingly to people not bothering to have car insurance in Miami. I'll make sure and review the limits carefully.

Yeah that's not a joke. Insured motorists here aren't all that common.

New User

Well... I've made it here. Now the nightmare of finding a temporary place to live commences. As far as the insurance goes.. I'm relieved to report that I have a company car to drive every day. I'm following another thread on here about the temporary living situation. Seems like this place is quite predatory when it comes to housing!

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkStatic View Post
    Seems like this place is quite predatory when it comes to housing!
    Just hire a good agent (referral or one with reviews) to find you a place and you'll be fine.

We just come on here to warn people of what to avoid or look out for, no different than any other major city in the U.S.
    jwisdom789 likes this.

People here are quite predatory when it comes to everything.