Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Very Unique Approach To Selling a Condo in Miami

I had some spare time on my most recent trip and decided to check out the Brickell Bay Drive area.....very nice, especially with the nice walk path along the bayfront. Gave me a Brooklyn Heights type of feel.

A lower floor unit at an affordable price caught my attention online at the Jade, which I understand remains one of the premier buildings in the entire Brickell area. I finally tracked down the agent for the unit and gave 3-4 days advanced notice for the exact day I wished to view the unit--more than enough time to schedule a viewing. Turns out I ended up having to reschedule twice for that day (from the owners' end, not my end) before the owner decided he wanted to show me the unit, on the market for 200 days now....I stressed that I was catching a flight back home in the early evening that day but the owner insisted he could/would only show the place at 5:30PM--when I needed to head to MIA to catch a 7:45PM flight (and assuming he works on my clock--which is punctual to the second). When asked if his agent could show the unit at an earlier time that day, instead, the response was no--he wanted to show it himself.

Very unique way of selling a condo--maybe he is related to the schmuck I used to (not) sell my place in San Diego....guess he's not really motivated to sell the place....as for the unit, gorgeous on the inside (from online pics) BUT (1) on the second floor in the corner where you get, both, the valet driveway AND, on the other side, the self park driveway leading to the garage; (2) there is a parking lot to the side of the unit, 20-25 yards away, which I definitely suspect will get developed at some point in the future (real estate is too valuable to remain a parking lot); and (3) looks like the immediate floor below is designed for retail, in general, and a cafe in particular. Pass, regardless of price.

Did like the area and the Jade building, with amenities--though you pay for them--is first rate....too bad they are having problems with Brickell Place (car elevator not working, plumbing through the walls, etc)...some of the other older complexes in the area (i.e. Mark, Emerald) have some nice views but appear dated and not as nice as the Jade....cute little coffee shop, Bertoni, across the street--though a bit overpriced. Good location--I describe the area as Brickell Key minus the bridge.
    Last edited by elchevere; 11-18-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Default Re: Very Unique Approach To Selling a Condo in Miami

That's Miami for you, which might end up being a blessing.

I'm no r.e. guy but I pay some attention as I'm already plunged into the drink. It's bad enough having tenants under rent control, and there's nothing I can do if unit capacity exceeds by 2,3 or 4. You can't fight it. You lose if you do. Miami has it's own issues.

Reliable friend of mine who's been developing and flipping pre-conconstruction in Miami 30 plus years thinks the situation here is going to crash to the point Miami is going to have 35 years worth of condo inventory.

Wait 6-12M and shoot any Turkey you desire on you're terms.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    I finally tracked down the agent for the unit and gave 3-4 days advanced notice for the exact day I wished to view the unit--more than enough time to schedule a viewing. Turns out I ended up having to reschedule twice for that day (from the owners' end, not my end) before the owner decided he wanted to show me the unit, on the market for 200 days now....
    That's what happens when you don't use a good agent in Miami!

and never waste your time with a Listing Agent, they don't want to waste time showing you the property (in their opinion).

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    I'm no r.e. guy but I pay some attention as I'm already plunged into the drink. It's bad enough having tenants under rent control, and there's nothing I can do if unit capacity exceeds by 2,3 or 4. You can't fight it. You lose if you do. Miami has it's own issues.

Actually, you can fight that.

From my time in the hotel business, it is a fire issue for the unit not to exceed capacity (fire escapes are set up for the maximum amount of people to safely exit during a fire, anything that exceeds that is a hazard for everyone living in the building). If there are more people than allowed renting in a unit, call your local fire department.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Actually, you can fight that.

From my time in the hotel business, it is a fire issue for the unit not to exceed capacity (fire escapes are set up for the maximum amount of people to safely exit during a fire, anything that exceeds that is a hazard for everyone living in the building). If there are more people than allowed renting in a unit, call your local fire department.
    In Miami-Dade its 2 people per bedroom. Sometimes landlords advertise (1 person only) which is a discrimination against family size.