Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Thread: Jury Duty in Fl

Default Jury Duty in Fl

I never served jury duty until I moved to FL.

Since I moved here, 13 years ago, today I served for the 2nd time. The first time was about two years ago and I got selected. I actually liked it and took copious notes for five days and robustly shared my opinion with my group everytime everytime we where told to go back into our cubby hole during a sidebar. When the case was " rested', the judge singles me out and informs me I was the alternate and I can go home. It kind of pissed me off as I took it seriously. During what the judge was saying, I wrote a note to a fellow juror to let me know how this panned out. It ended up being a hung jury.
    That particular case lasted five days.

Today I went in with a different attitude as I didn't want no part of it anymore. So when the plaintiff's lawyer explained he recently had throat surgery which explained his soft tone. He asked if anyone had hearing issues. I was the first to address this and mentioned a Rolling Stones concert I went to in the 80's blasted an ear drum. I do actually have hearing issues but only in loud places ... like in a club.

As this was a car accident case, I had another opportunity to sound off. That set the tone for the other jurors who then complained about " frivilous" lawsuits as the well was poisned. The defendant's lawyer asked for a brief reccess and we we're all asked to leave the courtroom. When we reconvened, we were told "all" can report back to our original station and await further instructions - like lunch. It was 1130A at that time.

You'd never know this, but Main St. in Bartow has some great cafes. Had a Cuban Sandwich, with a bowl of chili, fries and a Coke for $5.16. Better than anything I ever had in Miami.

Anyways. once back, they played us a movie about Walt Disney that I was all into. Just when the movie was getting interesting, my name was called amongst 30 other people. We were released for the day and but told we were on " standby" status and still subject to being called Tuesday or Wednesday. I suppose this is procedural and wonder if anyone here ever got called back. Thanksgiving is days away and we're hosting and I got one airport pick up. Does anyone ever get called back ?

In-case I do.....Wait ! I think I just decided to take the $100 hit for not showing if I'm called. It's too much of a bitch to drive 70mi round-trip ( two hours ) to make it worth my while. What's funny here is I'm at an extreme edge of the county line. If I lived on the other side of the street, that county's court house is 12 minutes away.

I'm ranting a bit, so excuse that. Has anyone here that served jury duty and released on Monday ever get called back ?

Default Re: Jury Duty in Fl

I'm intrigued firstly how a car accident case can be seen as frivolous? Was it that case in particular or your view in general? Cos usually those cases settle so the fact that it got to court means it can't have been that simple.

I doubt you will be called back. I wouldn't worry. I haven't ever been called back and neither has my husband.

Default Re: Jury Duty in Fl

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I'm intrigued firstly how a car accident case can be seen as frivolous? Was it that case in particular or your view in general? Cos usually those cases settle so the fact that it got to court means it can't have been that simple.

I doubt you will be called back. I wouldn't worry. I haven't ever been called back and neither has my husband.
    I'm sure they tell you that. just in case. I'm out of the woods for at least 13 months.

Funny that you mention " frivilous." Within the last two hours, my mother hit a car Just got off the phone with the insurance people and handling it as it should be. No problem.

My posture when questioned by the defendant's lawyer was geared to being excused and serving one day. The merits of the case, I'll never know.

If it wasn't Thanksgiving week, I would have kept my mouth shut. Too many things to do.