Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Received And Accepted Offer--Miami Awaits

Default Re: Received And Accepted Offer--Miami Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Brickell. Can only imagine how nice the newer Jade Sunny Isles must be.

Not cheap, but same place in overpriced CA would be 30% more. Be prepared for high HOA's in Miami for luxury buildings--$1170 here, $1500 at Icon...less other places.
    If you need to borrow some sugar, I'm only six blocks away.

JADE does look like an awesome building with maybe a few more amenties we have nearby.

My HOA is a tad below JADE's. It's a sour point because we're only their 5-7 days a month. Just back this morning from Miami as Tequesta had their annual Chistmas party last night. At least I got some value from fees this month with unlimited champagne and good spreads & cheer.

My hunch is you'll eventually be on the beach. At least you got you're foot in the door.

Good Luck and congrats !

Thx...Jade, at the beach, would be over $1M--which is above my budget...and I get back to where would I socialize besides Smith & Wollensky and Bodega (Wednesday nights)?.,,just seems like many more options in Brickell and other neighborhoods this side of the bay along with good walkability and minimal driving required on my part. Jade is a resort in a quiet section of a very busy area (access to but removed from OR Brickell Key living minus the bridge). Only concern I have is the parking lot next to it--too valuable a bayfront property to remain that way, guaranteed it gets developed soon which means I buy on the other side.

We will have a cigar on 47th rooftop deck once I am in the building and if you are in town (or cocktail).
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-17-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Thx...Jade, at the beach, would be over $1M--which is above my budget...and I get back to where would I socialize besides Smith & Wollensky and Bodega (Wednesday nights)?.,,just seems like many more options in Brickell and other neighborhoods this side of the bay along with good walkability and minimal driving required on my part. Jade is a resort in a quiet section of a very busy area (access to but removed from OR Brickell Key living minus the bridge). Only concern I have is the parking lot next to it--too valuable a bayfront property to remain that way, guaranteed it gets developed soon which means I buy on the other side.

We will have a cigar on 47th rooftop deck once I am in the building and if you are in town (or cocktail).
    I'm in !

Am aware of the lot you mentioned. As sitting on gold is that yellow bungalow, but that has preservation status. Probobly to only pocket on can breath in a few years. St. Jude Catholic ( Greek Orthodox ) also sits on a gold mine. They get hit with development suitors all the time, but the archdiocese won't budge - which a good thing.

As far as future deveolpment, It's getting clearer Swire will develop south east lawn on Brickell Key one day. That will be a total bummer.

The best aspect I see in your move to Brickell, is Key Biscayne is your closest beach option, and a better one absent the bs pizzazz on MB. I think I've ever seen you refer to KB. It makes Brickell a more viable place.

How's your Spanish ?

Spanish is good--not fluent, not grammatically perfect (Strunk & White come in a Spanish version?), but my vocabulary base and pronunciation are good enough to communicate (understand and be understood) for up to an hour before I get a headache.

Funny, I was speaking with a nice lady from Peru (English) yesterday. To paraphrase her, she told me I will find a big difference in the caliber of Latinos in Miami v SoCal...she said more of the ones here are highly educated and professionals v the types that go back and forth across the border in CA. A bit of a generalization on her part but it will be nice to have representation from all of Latin America vs predominantly Mexico...and the Latinas here are demonstrably better looking than the ones in CA--like comparing the 1927 or 1998 Yankees (Miami) to the any year Padres (SoCal). The ones here have more curves than Lombard St in SF.
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-18-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Spanish is good--not fluent, not grammatically perfect (Strunk & White come in a Spanish version?), but my vocabulary base and pronunciation are good enough to communicate (understand and be understood) for up to an hour before I get a headache.

Funny, I was speaking with a nice lady from Peru (English) yesterday. To paraphrase her, she told me I will find a big difference in the caliber of Latinos in Miami v SoCal...she said more of the ones here are highly educated and professionals v the types that go back and forth across the border in CA. A bit of a generalization on her part but it will be nice to have representation from all of Latin America vs predominantly Mexico...and the Latinas here are demonstrably better looking than the ones in CA--like comparing the 1927 or 1998 Yankees (Miami) to the any year Padres (SoCal). The ones here have more curves than Lombard St in SF.
    That's a good thing. I didn't learn or focused on Spanish till I was I HS age. I think I'm ok fluent. I do get lost at times at gatherings at Brickell when they start cracking jokes. Like, I'm the only one not laughing ... nor would they if I crack an old Paul Lynde joke.

As far as beauty, maybe a slight edge Miami's. I'm slowly edging back to preferring Latinas in SoCal. A lot depends, where you are in Miami. Back home we have a heavier concentration of Central Americans compared to Miami. I think from the isthmus, Miami only has a "Little Managua." For good or bad, if you were raised in the U.S. you're conditioned to appreciate a specific look... meaning whiter. I'll go out on the limb and say it at whatever costs.

One thing I can say with certainty, I miss the Mexican community, but that's perhaps I got all of George Lopez's jokes.

On eye candy I miss are the Amerasians and cultural dynamics not indemic to Miami. Trust Me ! .... the lack of diversity will bore you in time. Brickell, and Miami is practically 70% hispanic. That's why I don't wholly buy the arguement of beauty competion of Miami vs. LA. It's a non-contest in the grand scheme.

I'll offer you a side-note as I've been all over South America. Not sure who's the Peruvian gal you spoke to is, but any of the three discos at Larco Mar in Lima is where I witnessed the most concentration of beauty. I''m also a huge fan of La Granja ( Peruvian ) and they'll deliver at Jade with a $20 min. You can probably walk to MY CEVICHE on S.Miami. Good stuff and I patronize them a bunch. Your Peruvian consult might say it's not the same any dive in Piura - but close,

I'm sure Miami will go up against any other city in the US as far as beauty goes..there is definitely no shortage here. And plenty of beautiful Russians & Europeans to go along with the Latins, and not just Sunny Isles Either. Lots in Miami Beach/South Beach as well.

Doral is heavy Venezuelan and Colombian. Go to the La Fitness on any busy evening and you'll find plenty of worthy pageant winners, in my opinion of course. Even the Doral Walmart blows away any other Walmart in the US.

And the Beach in KB doesn't compare to South Beach, no way no how. Some grassy dunes and still water does not equal miles of beautiful sand, waves, boats, people, etc. KB is more deserted island feel with some brackish water sprinkled in (which you won't find in Sofi/Sobe...nor will you find any topless women either)

KB is just a nice, peaceful island and gives you plenty of easy water options to boat/lay out in a much easier fashion from Brickell vs going to MB so I agree, you can avoid the headache. If you leave in the morning, its a breeze to Sobe and very easy for parking....If you leave around noon on a weekend, it sucks. We get to Joes on Sunday mornings in SoFi around 9AM-9:15AM and its a breeze. We leave by Noon and no traffic going back either.... There is also a water taxi from Downtown to MB if you don't want to drive.

Agree with the Russians and Europeans...sounds like when I am retired in a few years I might want to be a Walmart greeter in Doral.

I am finding that when speaking English here, when I ask how much is 1+1 I often get c-a-t for the answer (in that regard, the Miami Latinos have a lot in common with San Diegans--though at least they have a language, not IQ, barrier as their excuse).I have a feeling I might be smacking some people in the head within 3 weeks.

At NIU Kitchen now..,on the Eater 38 restos to go--every time I have walked past here and tonight the place is not crowded....hmmm...7:00 on a Sunday before Xmas might be the reason and/or I am still operating on GST (Gringo Standard eating Time). Food is VERY good, however...chef is from Barcelona.
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-18-2016 at 08:56 PM.

At NIU Kitchen now..,on the Eater 38 restos to go--every time I have walked past here and tonight the place is not crowded....hmmm...7:00 on a Sunday before Xmas might be the reason and/or I am still operating on GST (Gringo Standard eating Time). Food is VERY good, however...chef is from Barcelona.
    I heard it was good..when you walk out the door, the building is face is the loft i used to live in (Loft 2 Downtown). Over a year I was there and never ate at Niu. Lots of homeless at night there on that corner and near the 7-11 and even more down by the water in Bayside taking up those nice chairs facing the bay :-(

did not see any homeless and walked from and back to the Hyatt Regency...had the bread with tomato spread with garlic and olive oil along with baby back ribs and sauteed spinach with more garlic and pine nuts.....very good. Washed it down with a glass of tempranillo. Will definitely return.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    I heard it was good..when you walk out the door, the building is face is the loft i used to live in (Loft 2 Downtown). Over a year I was there and never ate at Niu. Lots of homeless at night there on that corner and near the 7-11 and even more down by the water in Bayside taking up those nice chairs facing the bay :-(
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-18-2016 at 10:16 PM.

I'm sure Miami will go up against any other city in the US as far as beauty goes..there is definitely no shortage here. And plenty of beautiful Russians & Europeans to go along with the Latins, and not just Sunny Isles Either. Lots in Miami Beach/South Beach as well.

Doral is heavy Venezuelan and Colombian. Go to the La Fitness on any busy evening and you'll find plenty of worthy pageant winners, in my opinion of course. Even the Doral Walmart blows away any other Walmart in the US.

And the Beach in KB doesn't compare to South Beach, no way no how. Some grassy dunes and still water does not equal miles of beautiful sand, waves, boats, people, etc. KB is more deserted island feel with some brackish water sprinkled in (which you won't find in Sofi/Sobe...nor will you find any topless women either)

KB is just a nice, peaceful island and gives you plenty of easy water options to boat/lay out in a much easier fashion from Brickell vs going to MB so I agree, you can avoid the headache. If you leave in the morning, its a breeze to Sobe and very easy for parking....If you leave around noon on a weekend, it sucks. We get to Joes on Sunday mornings in SoFi around 9AM-9:15AM and its a breeze. We leave by Noon and no traffic going back either.... There is also a water taxi from Downtown to MB if you don't want to drive.
    In respect to beauty; there's a saying ... It's a subjective thing.

I prefer KB because of it's vegetation and tropic feel. MB is a beautiful beach and is supplemented in way like Ipanema with it's offerings within a few blocks from the Atlantico Blvd. That part I get and that has an appeal some value more than me and I'm OK with it and understand it. I appreciate a woman's beauty like any oher guy. That will give MB an edge and it's not as topless as it was 20 years ago. I prefer enjoying time with my family surrounded by Sea Grape & Oats and Banyon tree shade over a gal laying nearby exposing her mammary glands. What's the jolly about that ?

The nation's average temp today is 15F. That means all the beautiful women nationwide are covered up except in Miami. I think that leads to a false perception Miami has the best looking women. I prefer using my imagination with a fully cloaked gal on her way to work in the snow on the Magnficent Mile than girls leaving a pap smear on every stool in MB. I think Matt is with me on this about mid-west gals. Just last September, I went to an Alabama Crimson Tide FB game. I swear.... what I saw there blows Miami out the window. I'll grant Miami is a contender, but not nearly tops.

Eche, I no longer hit Little Havana for breakfast, especially since the Pan de Bono place next to Home Depot went out of business.

We like La Estacion Cafe for breakfast, especially it's Colombian style. Blood Sausage for breakfast - heel yeah ! They have a decent spread already prepped but we usually order a customized breakfast. It's an OK option in a non descript office building at 1390 Brickell. Just mentioning it because it's a 5 min walk from Jade if you want something quick and not hassle driving. I like it beacuse it open's at 7A everyday. Lot earlier than Versailles or The Islander Market Place on Brickell Key.

Sete (downtown, just a few blocks from my hotel) has a pretty good breakfast special that I will try tomorrow--2 eggs, fresh OJ, toast, and coffee for $ 7.99....I like the downtown option--more reasonably priced restaurants than Brickell....found Clove Mediterranean--a Greek version of Chipotle, and checking out Meraki Bistro today or tomorrow....also prefer Juan Valdez Cafe to Pasion del Cielo.....for Italian, I do like Fratelli Milano and in Brickell I like Spaghettino (good pasta and very good veal parm).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Eche, I no longer hit Little Havana for breakfast, especially since the Pan de Bono place next to Home Depot went out of business.

We like La Estacion Cafe for breakfast, especially it's Colombian style. Blood Sausage for breakfast - heel yeah ! They have a decent spread already prepped but we usually order a customized breakfast. It's an OK option in a non descript office building at 1390 Brickell. Just mentioning it because it's a 5 min walk from Jade if you want something quick and not hassle driving. I like it beacuse it open's at 7A everyday. Lot earlier than Versailles or The Islander Market Place on Brickell Key.

Sete (downtown, just a few blocks from my hotel) has a pretty good breakfast special that I will try tomorrow--2 eggs, fresh OJ, toast, and coffee for $ 7.99....I like the downtown option--more reasonably priced restaurants than Brickell....found Clove Mediterranean--a Greek version of Chipotle, and checking out Meraki Bistro today or tomorrow....also prefer Juan Valdez Cafe to Pasion del Cielo.....for Italian, I do like Fratelli Milano and in Brickell I like Spaghettino (good pasta and very good veal parm).

The Bagel place on the southwest corner of Brickell Centre is perhaps my fave. Unfortunately never a parking spot nearby, and thus blood sausage with Pan de Bono for breakfast. No more Versailles for me.

We usualy prep our own meals ... but I'm listening to your neighborhood exploits.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-20-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Something to bear in mind ... it might not even be an issue with you. Brickell is not jovial as San Diego. Nobody in MB asks what you do for a living. In Brickell, they ask for bloodlines. Eventually you'll learn to play and turn their own game. I keep my mother's maiden name private as an ace in my pocket ... but there are no Costa Ricans here. LOL !

Brickell can be shallow but worthwhile once you penetrate the customs. My wife wants to meet Montoya..... the Colombian Indy driver that occupies a penthouse in your building. LOL ! Despite what peeps say on the beach, the hispanic conglomerate in Brickell runs Miami. I'm sure you'll get in that circle in due course.

Yes, big fan of Toasted Bagelry...there at least twice a week.

depends how you define jovial....in SD the only deep conversations I had were with fellow ex NY'ers and East Coast transplants....the natives were about as dry as the weather and I had plenty of shallow conversations (remove weather as a topic and their vocabulary is reduced by 85%).....I had one guy who would ask questions of me but when I would ask questions of him, the conversation would come to an end--I had more intelligent conversations with some of the mannequins in the front window of Nordstrom's than I did with many Diegans (at least nothing stupid came out of the mouths of the mannequins).

One additional note of the women (and we can argue about their beauty)...they certainly dress with far more class and style, at least in Brickell, than the Lululemon Diegan women (and it is a relief to see a beautiful woman in Miami who has not destroyed her beautiful looks with full arm length tattoos or nose rings).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Something to bear in mind ... it might not even be an issue with you. Brickell is not jovial as San Diego. Nobody in MB asks what you do for a living. In Brickell, they ask for bloodlines. Eventually you'll learn to play and turn their own game. I keep my mother's maiden name private as an ace in my pocket ... but there are no Costa Ricans here. LOL !

Brickell can be shallow but worthwhile once you penetrate the customs. My wife wants to meet Montoya..... the Colombian Indy driver that occupies a penthouse in your building. LOL ! Despite what peeps say on the beach, the hispanic conglomerate in Brickell runs Miami. I'm sure you'll get in that circle in due course.
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-20-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Maybe six weeks ago, I posted a topic about where'd you like to live if $$$ was no option. Marc stated Key Biscayne, and a non-discrpt location that didn't garner my attention as his options. Out of thre blue comes the grievance of " brackish waters." I'm not going to deny there is a plant on Virginia Key and water flows differently in KB ..... but sewer lines usually bust up in MB before it goes anywhere else.

As a well conditioned Californian , we dont even have waves in MB. Ripple. MB is also brackish No wave here is going to tumble me and knock out my snout.. Judge KB for yourself. If you get a water view in due course, hopefully Miami Sea Stadium gets up and running. Because of Miami, it's been out of service 24 years since Hurricane Andrew. If it was CA, that venue would have been up and running in three months.

Just trying to give you a heads up as a fellow Californian..... Shit here moves slower than Beach Boy's harmonics.

I love KB and it's natural habitat. I'm just not a guy that is going to empasize exposed tits on a beach.... I'm a leg man. and if you got legs you got what;s neccesary. Always pianisimo but some peeps sadly go fortisimo on breasts and ruined a gateway.

Figured I'd copy what i said since i got Blackie trolling me again ;-)

Notice the topless comment was at the end of all the other good parts?

Its all personal preference..no reason to call out what I say vs everyone else.

Since this doesn't exist in FL:
    Name:  Honeymoon Beach - St. John (4) [1024x768].JPG
Views: 48
Size:  223.3 KB

This will due for now:
    Name:  South Beach.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  267.7 KB

(yes, I took both pics)

^Marc: Where did you take that first photo? Actually, never mind, I clicked on it and it says St. John.

As for the MB/SB vs. KB debate, I will give an outsider perspective:

They are both great for different reasons. I've always thought that Key Biscayne is one of the most beautiful/natural beaches in an urban area in the country. Could I live there as a single guy? Probably not full time but I agree that if I lived in Brickel, having KB as the go to beach is quite a nice respite from the daily grind.

Of course, South Beach is all the things Marc noted plus the great Art Deco architecture.

Not a bad one/two punch for a city of Miami's size. 2/3's of murder's row: Ruth and Gherigh.
    Last edited by SoCal; 12-21-2016 at 02:44 AM.

Brickell. Can only imagine how nice the newer Jade Sunny Isles must be.

Not cheap, but same place in overpriced CA would be 30% more. Be prepared for high HOA's in Miami for luxury buildings--$1170 here, $1500 at Icon...less other places.
    Just catching up on this thread. Ok, you are going with Brickell. Interesting. That was one of my favorite hoods when I poked around Miami last year. And I stayed there during my trip to get a feel for the mainland. Definitely, has the advantage of newer and more diverse housing stock to choose from.

If I had to move to Miami tomorrow and someone put a gun to my head and said you have to pick which neighborhood you have to live in right now: I'd go with Brickell.

Figured I'd copy what i said since i got Blackie trolling me again ;-)

Notice the topless comment was at the end of all the other good parts?

Its all personal preference..no reason to call out what I say vs everyone else.

Since this doesn't exist in FL:
    Name:  Honeymoon Beach - St. John (4) [1024x768].JPG
Views: 48
Size:  223.3 KB

This will due for now:
    Name:  South Beach.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  267.7 KB

(yes, I took both pics)
    Bro, I'm not trolling you on this one. It's more like good cop - bad cop. You're Ying and I'm Yang. I think that's why people come to this site to hear various points of view. I think I clearly stated, beach choice is subjective. I get why SB is popular for most. Even if you tell me Cherry Pie is the best, I'll counter Pecan Pie. We have our likes and dislikes. no biggie. The great thing about Miami is you can enjoy both and onlyI brought up KB because Eche decided on Brickell. He'll make up his own mind.

You like Art Deco and tits and I prefer a more natural setting. Nothing to argue about.

http://www.tipstripflorida.com/2014/...-in-miami.html

Liked both your pics. The first one kind of reminded me of Tamarindo in Costa Rica. Where was that snapped ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast