Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Received And Accepted Offer--Miami Awaits

Default Re: Received And Accepted Offer--Miami Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post

Liked both your pics. The first one kind of reminded me of Tamarindo in Costa Rica. Where was that snapped ?
    It is Honeymoon Beach in St. John (US Virgin Islands). Does look a bit like Costa Rica.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    It is Honeymoon Beach in St. John (US Virgin Islands). Does look a bit like Costa Rica.
    A bit, as far as the extreme E part of Tamarindo. Only things missing are Spider Monkeys and Coatamudi. Tamarindo lays in Costa Rica's driest zone and where the best beach resorts are. We stayed at Tamarindo Diria which I recommend. We also stayed at Jardin del Eden at Cabinas Zully Mar when my budget was Spartan. If I went back I'd prefer Zully Mar and save a couple of hundred bucks.

I prefer the more tropical zones, central on down. You gotta hit up one of these days. As a Floridian, I don't waste my time at beaches there, though more awesome than anything in FL. I stick to mountains, rain and cloud forests and volcanoes.

Hit me up before you go. I'll plan your itinerary based on your specs. Costa Rica is a logistical challenge for a vacation unless you settle for one spot. You gotta move about and get three of many of the multitude of features. I have many friends that cruised and ported on both coasts. Even with the cruise excursions, it was lame experience. Costa Rica is a destination and not a Port O'Call.

As I mentioned before, we're going to end up moving there. Away from family, on a mountain slope and a reasonable drive to a beach.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-21-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Brackish water is salt water and fresh water mixed. How is there brackish water off Key Biscayne? Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Brackish water is salt water and fresh water mixed. How is there brackish water off Key Biscayne? Curious.
    Key Biscayne is mostly swimming in the bay, not the ocean except for the very tip of the island. The beautiful homes you see sit on the bay, not the ocean.

For a real 'beach', you need to go to Miami Beach. That's where you'll see miles of sand, waves coming in, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Key Biscayne is mostly swimming in the bay, not the ocean except for the very tip of the island. The beautiful homes you see sit on the bay, not the ocean.

For a real 'beach', you need to go to Miami Beach. That's where you'll see miles of sand, waves coming in, etc.
    You mean the beach that wasn't there before Carl Fisher spent his fortune dredging a heap ? I think most of us know Miami Beach is man made and riddled with issues. I'm sure if Carl Fisher was around, he would have consulted the Chinese on the artificial island just built in the South China Sea.

Acts of Nature didn't build Miami Beach. It wasn't there 60 years ago. But it's "real" and true Carl Fisher built a man-made beach.

Maybe I'm a jaded Californian,.....there are no waves in MB, only ripples. Why not ? Our planet does violently rotate and splash water about.

If you believe MB is a real/natural beach, more power to you. If you're happy... I'm happy.

Real beaches don't spend a fortune to export ot dredge sand.. Anyone here know what's MB budget to retain and aquire sands to maintain it's beaches/sand ? My guess it's much less than than the the fake beach at Mandarin Oriental in Brickell. Their fake-beach maintenance is a fraction of their operating budget - for sure. Maimi Beach, I'm sure it's a heft price to keep it " real."
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-22-2016 at 03:05 PM.

One more thing: The city government of Miami Beach works closely with Civil Engineer Corp from the Army to retain and renourish MB. It's an expensive challenge. I've seen those projects and beach closures during my sfl tenure. .....unlike same engineers bombing Viques for years , it remains as pristine as when Lord of the Flies was filmed there.

That's a real beach .....
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-22-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Just finished the rental process...what a pain, felt I like I just had invasive hemorrhoid surgery and I need a vacation from the process.

Will be setting up shop for the next 6 months at 1060 Brickell....there was nothing available, furnished, at Jade Brickell--my first choice--for under $5K/month....being thrust in the heart of Brickell I should have a pretty good feel for Brickell and the city living within the next 60 days. Should be able to determine if Brickell (and I would be looking to buy at Jade) will work for me or if I prefer the less congested, lower density of SoBe (I have to laugh--whenever I tell people here in Brickell I might consider SoBe their first response is SoBe is too congested....huh ???...compared to what, Aimes, Iowa--certainly not Brickell)....signed up for Equinox as well.

Good move. It's wise to kick tires before a full commitment.

I'm going to bet Brickell is going to tire you within 60 days or 6 months. For a stretch, I can see you in Fort Lauderdale by Summer. At least you got a base now and the ability to better explore SFL.

P.S. I need to redact my previous comment about MB. My haste, my bad. Fisher did't start dredging and creating MB till 1923. Before then it wasn't a beach. To Marc's credit, it looks " real" and considered one of the country's best beaches. Props to the Army Corp of Engineers for keeping it " real."

I might be off a year or two.... that's why we have RK around, to correct my mistatements and keeping it really real.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-23-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Did stop off at The Collection in Coral Gables to test drive a few cars....drove through the Gables on University Dr past The Biltmore and numerous tree lined streets--can see why Matt loves this town.

Rental process continued:

I guess living in the shuyster capitol of the world makes everything more difficult. In most normal cities, one could simply write one personal check for first, last month, and security deposit.

Here in Miami you need to make out 3 separate cashier's checks when moving in. Owner has requested that I pay future rent via bank wire even though my credit score is 816 and my net worth is 5x the value of their measley condo..OK, no problem--I do not trust you either and I expect you to refund my security deposit via cashier check or wire transfer.

When going to buy toilet paper at Publix do I need to show 3 forms of ID?

Oh, and Ive already run into the mentally retarded homeless guy who walks around town in hospital scrubs talking to himself at a couple of coffee places.
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-24-2016 at 04:55 PM.

If you're happy... I'm happy.
    (And then furiously types 4 more replies)
    Jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Here in Miami you need to make out 3 separate cashier's checks when moving in. Owner has requested that I pay future rent via bank wire even though my credit score is 816 and my net worth is 5x the value of their measley condo..OK, no problem--
    Usually I can get my clients to do 1 cashier check at move in (assuming they already paid a deposit to hold the place while we wait on Association process).

Regarding bank wire, you could have balked at that. Problem is, most Brickell owners are foreign and don't have anywhere to mail a check. We have an online bill pay direct to our landlord and did the same with the previous landlord, so that was nice. In North Beach, we had a local landlord and she would take 1-2 weeks before depositing my rent check which drove us crazy. I prefer the online payment with a receipt. Can prove its done and on-time.

I have not agreed to a wire, and doubt I will....I have a near perfect 816 credit score and my net worth is probably 5x the value of their friggin condo so I will tell her (and they do live here in FL) that I will be mailing a check or dropping it off each month at the management office of the building....as for cashier checks, only an inconvenience--Wells Fargo does not charge me based on my account balance, but what a pain in the ass....feel like I'm trying to score some crack from some street hooker as far as renting here in Miami.

Your paragraph on your website about renting in Miami is like nowhere else is certainly true...

I have not agreed to a wire, and doubt I will....I have a near perfect 816 credit score and my net worth is probably 5x the value of their friggin condo so I will tell her (and they do live here in FL) that I will be mailing a check or dropping it off each month at the management office of the building....as for cashier checks, only an inconvenience--Wells Fargo does not charge me based on my account balance, but what a pain in the ass....feel like I'm trying to score some crack from some street hooker as far as renting here in Miami.

Your paragraph on your website about renting in Miami is like nowhere else is certainly true...
    Thanks, I try to warn everyone before they come.

By the way, you can't pay rent or give money to the building management office. They have nothing to do with each unit and only manage the association & common areas.

If they live in FL, just setup a bill pay or deposit a check into their account each month using their Acct #. You are surrounded by banks (Brickell is our 'Financial District') so it won't be too much of an inconvenience.

Brother Jimmy's has good BBQ in Mary Brickell Village and is a good spot to watch the games. I think they are on Groupon right now as well if you want to splurge or take a friend.

Enjoying a cigar and beer at Casa de Montecristo...anyone in area, let me know and will try to meet up...happy holidays

Miami is infuriating to most, but not usually in the first few weeks?! This is the honeymoon period, enjoy it!

Yeah, I have accelerated my honeymoon period...lol...even for me thst's quick..perhaps when I finally get out of the hotel (2 weeks) and settled into the rental and develop a routine I will feel more at ease....and I have not even had the pleasure of driving through the streets yet (aside fron a test drive in non congested Gables)!!...that's next, car this week...Blackford--test drove the Jag this weekend, nice car.
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-26-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    (And then furiously types 4 more replies)
    Sounds like a " furious" gripe. LOL !

That's a nice FICA but Miami has a built in culture about being obsessed with CASH. With that score, you can buy a lake in Minnesota. You ain't going to find that trust in Miami. Brickell was built on" all cash ' deals. It's too baked into the cake. The third time we moved in Miami, we had all the financials in place as normal and got upsurped 4x when we thought we had a deal on a place. Each time defeated by a cash deal. There is no trust in institutions here, and there are not many here thinking about it.

It's a pisser that we get raked through. It's even worse for retail space, so count your blessings. Our DBA only lasted two years in Miami because everyone wants to dump their available foreign cash in Miami and price out legitmate business ventures. There is no way a business in Brickell Centre is going to survive unless it's losses are supplemented by a parent company. I'm not a native and not many here can talk to you about how Omni failed. I saw that place go down with my own eyes.

Business as usual doesn't exist in Miami. Nothing corporate and the norms of the game don't exist at all about the city. As long as you're cool it's a shady place for shady cash and play along, you'll be OK.

Just an observation of mine. I went to Jacksonville this Saturday for a NFL game. It's a pretty nondescript town with awesome beaches nearby. It felt corporate and you can easily identify businesses that settled there. In no way am I comparing Jacksonville to Miami other than the curiousity why Miami can only claim Burger King as it's major corp.. For sure someone here will have a detracting statement because they don't get it. As Californians we just simply need to mention Irivine. half way point between my LA and your San Diego, to see business's operate as normal and succeed.

I love Miami and I don't pitch it to make a buck. You eventually have to cast aside it's backwardness and headaches and enjoy it. I partake in all the vibes when there. It's definately unique. Aside Marc, nobody here is claiming it's Shangra-la. I just happen to think Confetaria Colombo in downtown Rio is more awesome than anything in Miami. Is that you're final destination ?
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.

all good now....in process of moving in to the condo rental today and getting some semblance of a routine after nearly 2 weeks in a hotel room....met the owner--very nice young guy who went over the details. His sister was the realtor agent representing him (cute blonde Venezuelan, whom at first I thought was from Wisconsin)...DirecTV already set up (free in the building, except for premium channels) and he has an internet router in the unit so I can just switch the Webpass account from his name to mine....Air Conditioner works like a charm and better than ones I saw in brand new buildings (and does not have those new round dial thermostats which requires a PhD in quantum physics from Stanford to figure out how to work).....so NOW I can begin my honeymoon period....next comes the car...I have now officially arrived in Miami.

Sounds like a " furious" gripe. LOL !

That's a nice FICA but Miami has a built in culture about being obsessed with CASH. With that score, you can buy a lake in Minnesota. You ain't going to find that trust in Miami. Brickell was built on" all cash ' deals. It's too baked into the cake. The third time we moved in Miami, we had all the financials in place as normal and got upsurped 4x when we thought we had a deal on a place. Each time defeated by a cash deal. There is no trust in institutions here, and there are not many here thinking about it.

It's a pisser that we get raked through. It's even worse for retail space, so count your blessings. Our DBA only lasted two years in Miami because everyone wants to dump their available foreign cash in Miami and price out legitmate business ventures. There is no way a business in Brickell Centre is going to survive unless it's losses are supplemented by a parent company. I'm not a native and not many here can talk to you about how Omni failed. I saw that place go down with my own eyes.

Business as usual doesn't exist in Miami. Nothing corporate and the norms of the game don't exist at all about the city. As long as you're cool it's a shady place for shady cash and play along, you'll be OK.

Sounds great ! You did it !

You mentioned AC. Is it that or central air ? Only mention that as AC won't cut it. That situation is cool for next few months as we're aware this is a transitional rest stop. I did the same 2 blocks from your location.

So you answered a previous question: Basic Direct is included in your HOA. We had them when at Brickell Key II. Never had coverage interupted because of clouds. The cable competitors will tell you that's going to happen. It might on an occasion, but even with sateliite radio you're going to get coverage unless in a garage or passing under a bridge.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast