Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Received And Accepted Offer--Miami Awaits

Default Received And Accepted Offer--Miami Awaits

It finally happened--took 5+ months but I held out for the price I wanted for my San Diego condo, received an all cash offer, and new buyer wants to be in my place by December 12.....my listing expired with the existing agent (whom I crapped on) but he came through in the end--asked if he could show my place to one or two buyers, a few days following the expiration, who might be interested and I had my offer the next day....unless the buyer flakes (software engineer from out of state) or makes unreasonable post home inspection demands, looks like I will be following through on my threat to move to Miami.

As far as next steps--I am not making any Miami rental arrangements or signing leases until his cash is is my bank.....I have spoken with the Hyatt Regency and they will work with me once I have received the cash and fly to Miami--they will be very flexible with letting me add or reduce the number of nights I stay with them once I know I am heading out.....as far as moving, I only plan on bringing my clothes, important papers/documents, and family pictures/paintings (no appliances, furniture or electronics). Hotel will allow me to ship them boxes and receive these in and only charge me $ 7 per package and hold everything until I find an apartment to move into--seems reasonable to me.

Once in Miami I will begin the rental search process--my understanding is it could take 7-10 days (application and approval) once I find a unit I like....I am hoping that furnished units will be available to rent in either Brickell or SoBe in mid-December, even though high season...short term or month to month preferred, but I might have to settle for minimum 6 month lease as those other ones--airbnb aside-can be hard to find. Does not appear I should have any problems finding something suitable.

Only other issue is the car.....my current BMW lease expires January 30....probably does not make sense to ship the car cross country (@ $1200 cost, covered)....might turn it in early in San Diego and then look for a car to order or buy once in Miami.

Looking forward to this exciting and new chapter in my life. Fingers and toes crossed this buyer follows through (which I expect him to).
    Last edited by elchevere; 11-25-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    Asunnysnowman likes this.

Default Re: Received And Accepted Offer--Miami Awaits

Congrats! Definitely leave the car in SD, and figure out the new one when you arrive. How exciting, get ready to move to the sunshine!

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Congrats!!

Just a warning that the short term rental market here (Fort Lauderdale) has almost zero inventory. Not sure how Miami is but Palm Beach county is also tight. Good that you have a backup plan.

The holidays here are just amazing!

Thanks....Worst case, I will see if I can get a 6 month lease...I have been in contact with a lady who had a short term (2.5 months or whatever length I decide) furnished rental available via airbnb as of today...waiting for cash in my bank once escrow closes before putting any $ down.

Any suggestions on forwarding address for my mail??....I will probably stay af a hotel my first 4-10 days upon arrival before moving into a yet to be determined rental address....should I see about renting a mailbox at a Fedex / UPS store or something similar??...I trust i will need to be in Miami in person to open up a box.
    Last edited by elchevere; 11-26-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Be very careful with AirBnB in Miami.

Do you have a realtor? Are you using Marc? If not, get one or use Marc.

The Miami market is not for amateurs.

Sounds Great. Congrats !

I've always said your prospective to move to Miami has been the most thorough of the bunch.

Like you, I didn't bring much from CA. Papers, a few clothes and boarding a plane. Other than that, I couldn't let go of an antique dresser I had nor my mountain bike. If you happen to have to ship a bulk item, I recommend rail. Very cost effective.

Moving is a bitch, and that includes discarding stuff you don't want to haul x country. I eventually hit up a antique/second hand shop and convinced the propertier to come along to the house with a truck and I'd make it worth his while. Unloaded almost everything for $2G. He made out and so did I. He didn't care for the couch set. " I got it at Levitz !" - thats CA inside baseball. LOL ! I was relieved from the couch set from by my weed dealer for four fingers of Humbolt's finest. Then I spent a week tripping if this was a good move.

It was, and I wish the same for you. CA to FL is obviously a dummy down ... but a smart move- no regrets. Not sure of the San Diego scene. I probably wouldn't have survived it. I still carry my life experiences with me and I've been lucky to grow up in LA in my time. It was great for a while. Today it's Bree Olsen, Vanderpump Rules and half of Azerbiajan that run amuck in that town. Rather have Cuban's banging pots and pans like they'll do for a few more days.

Good Luck !

Awesome! I hope it works out this time! Good luck!

I've had a realtor I've worked with in the past, but use this site for secondary input......I just discovered that I can get personal messages (hallelujah, only took me a year or two to figure that out)....Marc, if you want to send me contact info via private message or post it here for others to see either way will work for me--in case I make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Be very careful with AirBnB in Miami.

Do you have a realtor? Are you using Marc? If not, get one or use Marc.

The Miami market is not for amateurs.

I might have some stuff to sell and better get a move on.....my mother always thought her "Paint Your Wagon" canvas might be worth something but ebay begs to differ....I have a numbered Thomas Arvid canvas that is worth more than I thought.

As you can imagine, now that the move is a reality butterflies and apprehension have set in....moving IS a bitch (lived in same place in SD for 14 years; lived in same condo in OC prior to that for 17 years--so I value stability).....the next year will be quite a challenge--let alone moving cross country, I will probably be in a hotel for 4 - 14 days until I find a place to rent, which will involve another move, and then one more move before/if/when I decide to buy a place......I guess I am going to find out in a hurry that living in Miami is quite different than having 4-5 visits each year (with vacation days added on to company paid trips) and returning to the safety and security of a place I had been living with.

Familiarity breeds comfort, but I really have nothing keeping me here.....I've stated all the reasons ad nauseum in the past why I found Miami superior to San Diego and need to look forward, not backwards. Change can be good--good thing I've got my health and some money...moving to an area that better suits my lifestyle and interests and more people whom I have more in common with.

Biggest pain in my ass will be shredding old credit card/bank statements and checkbooks and figuring out how and where my mail will be forwarded in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Sounds Great. Congrats !

I've always said your prospective to move to Miami has been the most thorough of the bunch.

Like you, I didn't bring much from CA. Papers, a few clothes and boarding a plane. Other than that, I couldn't let go of an antique dresser I had nor my mountain bike. If you happen to have to ship a bulk item, I recommend rail. Very cost effective.

Moving is a bitch, and that includes discarding stuff you don't want to haul x country. I eventually hit up a antique/second hand shop and convinced the propertier to come along to the house with a truck and I'd make it worth his while. Unloaded almost everything for $2G. He made out and so did I. He didn't care for the couch set. " I got it at Levitz !" - thats CA inside baseball. LOL ! I was relieved from the couch set from by my weed dealer for four fingers of Humbolt's finest. Then I spent a week tripping if this was a good move.

It was, and I wish the same for you. CA to FL is obviously a dummy down ... but a smart move- no regrets. Not sure of the San Diego scene. I probably wouldn't have survived it. I still carry my life experiences with me and I've been lucky to grow up in LA in my time. It was great for a while. Today it's Bree Olsen, Vanderpump Rules and half of Azerbiajan that run amuck in that town. Rather have Cuban's banging pots and pans like they'll do for a few more days.

Good Luck !

rk

Congratulations, and welcome to Miami!

My only suggestion is to get a rental in the area that you're leaning towards buying in eventually. If I followed the discussion correctly I think that is Brickell.

Good luck man. Let us know where you settle.

I agree , lots of short term options if you have the money. It'll be well worth it, esp if it's a building you want to live in . Only negative is its right in the middle of high season, so you'll have to "take what you can get" if you have a specific style/taste.

Get a P.O Box; it's cheap and you can pay for 3/6 months. Or a UPS store box so you can get all packages delivered.

Contact info is on my site: MarcSellsMiami.com.

Use Uship.com for quotes on shipping large items (free quotes). I always use them when I buy/sell cars & motorcycles on eBay/Craigslist. Cost me only $750 to ship a sports car from Cali to Miami, enclosed and I paid $400 to ship a bike from Miami to Seattle.

Good luck!

Got this flyer the other day...Wasn't Absolut one of your targeted buildings in South of Fifth?

Pretty good price for the building/area. There is a larger one for sale as well for $1.1 but I think 1450sq ft was sufficient from what you've said previously?

Name:  AbsolutLoftFlyer.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  65.7 KB

New User

I suggest you come down to Miami without the car and see what it's like living without. I am 7 weeks in and CitiBike gets me everywhere I need to go!

I moved the same way you are planning but I did have the apartment lined up a couple days before I actually moved. No car, no furniture - just some bags of clothes and important documents.

The hardest thing I'm dealing with now is finding a great gym and how to stop spending so much money going out to eat/drink.
    Jess and Martin F like this.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by RickNamer View Post
    I suggest you come down to Miami without the car and see what it's like living without. I am 7 weeks in and CitiBike gets me everywhere I need to go!

I moved the same way you are planning but I did have the apartment lined up a couple days before I actually moved. No car, no furniture - just some bags of clothes and important documents.

The hardest thing I'm dealing with now is finding a great gym and how to stop spending so much money going out to eat/drink.
    Did you do the Citibike monthly plan thing? I remember looking into it and the terms said something like "if anything happens to the bike we'll charge you the cost of it, which is $650" ... I bought a bike instead.

As for a gym I go to Equinox, but I admit it's stupidly expensive. If I didn't go as much as I do, I'd probably transfer over to a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by ForgotMyLogin View Post
    Did you do the Citibike monthly plan thing? I remember looking into it and the terms said something like "if anything happens to the bike we'll charge you the cost of it, which is $650" ... I bought a bike instead.
    Lol, you don't 'keep' the bike for the month. You get to rent it as much as you want per month and dock them at any location.

So the only thing that would ever 'happen' to it would be if you got in an accident as you shouldn't be leaving it unattended in front of stores considering how much docks there are.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    It finally happened--took 5+ months but I held out for the price I wanted for my San Diego condo, received an all cash offer, and new buyer wants to be in my place by December 12.....my listing expired with the existing agent (whom I crapped on) but he came through in the end--asked if he could show my place to one or two buyers, a few days following the expiration, who might be interested and I had my offer the next day....unless the buyer flakes (software engineer from out of state) or makes unreasonable post home inspection demands, looks like I will be following through on my threat to move to Miami.

Looking forward to this exciting and new chapter in my life. Fingers and toes crossed this buyer follows through (which I expect him to).
    Great news Elchevere! Amazing. You were wise to hold out for the right offer.

Looking forward to hearing how your adjustment to Miami goes. I agree. Change is good. Something tells me you won't be looking back. Moving is a PAIN...but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks...looking at possible short rental (6 months or less) at Reach or 1060 Brickell. Hope to get in within next week.

Without question when I am ready to buy, Jade is my place..checked out a unit there--very nice, but lower floor unit and facing the street/city view...With rates rising and water views important in Miami, I will wait like a snake in the grass and pounce at the right time like a dog after a piece of meat. This is my place. Besides nice units the amenities are great. Gym/spa is nice, great and quieter location on the bay, pool is real nice (attendant service like a hotel), and their rooftop rec room view is off the charts. First class luxury building.
    Last edited by elchevere; 12-16-2016 at 07:36 PM.

^^ Which neighborhood of Miami Beach is Jade located? I tried to google it but the only thing I could find is something in Sunny Isles?

Brickell. Can only imagine how nice the newer Jade Sunny Isles must be.

Not cheap, but same place in overpriced CA would be 30% more. Be prepared for high HOA's in Miami for luxury buildings--$1170 here, $1500 at Icon...less other places.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast