Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Buying/Leasing a New Car in FL vs. CA

Default Buying/Leasing a New Car in FL vs. CA

any of the fellow ex-CA'er's have experience with this--I've been told that just based on the sheer number of dealers in SoCal I would be far better off (as in cheaper) leasing a car here, before I leave, and having it shipped to FL than buying/leasing a new car in FL....is that true?....there are 20+ BMW dealers in SoCal (and the entire SoCal market up to Valencia has competed for my business in San Diego) vs. only 3 in Miami/FLL.

If my monthly payment is only $40-50 higher in FL, I don't mind throwing a bone to the local business guy...if, however, we are talking about a $150-200 difference per month for the same vehicle for 36 months, then I will stick with the CA dealers....doesn't have to be the BMW brand, can be any brand.

Blackie/Matt--any experience with this??

Thanks

Default Re: Buying/Leasing a New Car in FL vs. CA

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    any of the fellow ex-CA'er's have experience with this--I've been told that just based on the sheer number of dealers in SoCal I would be far better off (as in cheaper) leasing a car here, before I leave, and having it shipped to FL than buying/leasing a new car in FL....is that true?....there are 20+ BMW dealers in SoCal (and the entire SoCal market up to Valencia has competed for my business in San Diego) vs. only 3 in Miami/FLL.

If my monthly payment is only $40-50 higher in FL, I don't mind throwing a bone to the local business guy...if, however, we are talking about a $150-200 difference per month for the same vehicle for 36 months, then I will stick with the CA dealers....doesn't have to be the BMW brand, can be any brand.

Blackie/Matt--any experience with this??

Thanks
    Not sure on this. I would've thought it's cheaper in Fl as CA has stricter emmision requirements that car manufactures cater to. The other logic is there are so many car dealers in CA , you might get a better deal. Almost every city in CA has has a set out area with at least 10 car dealerships on the same stretch of an avenue. Haven't seen that in Miami. A bit in Orlando to a lesser extent. If you're company will pay for transport, it's worthy looking into despite the tax hit.

It's also my experience car salesmen don't bend as much as in California. Maybe it's the sign of the times as I've been here more than twelve years. I remember you used to walk into a dealership knowing the cost of each part of the car and using that to your advantage. That tact didn't work to me well when I bought my car in all the dealerships I've visited. Always walked in knowing the cost and accepting they make 25% on total costs. I've also noticed many dealerships here no longer don't offer their sales staff commision. Don't know if that trend exists in CA. Been years since I've seen a Cal Wortington commercial. If you remember, he'd stand on his head to make a deal.... classic series of ads growing up. CA has the inventory and likely more lax and prone to allowing using your bazaar skills.

As far as leasing; that's a foreign concept for me. Maybe Marc could help you with that aspect. I commute between Orlando area and Miami twice a month among other places in-state. Leasing is too restrictive for me as I'm not into budgeting a mileage allowance per the terms of a lease. However, most of the people I know in Miami work within a three mile radius from home and fall way short of 1000 miles per month and may be a great deal.

CAL FUCKING WORTHIGNTON!!! Oh my god my childhood is back.

Everybody and their cousin Paco leases their cars here. And the leases are crazy cheap, I"ve seen bilbaords advertising Maserati leases here for like $699 a month.

Also, I looked into leasing a new car during my brief return to CA and I didn't see much difference in price. Unless Cal Worthington wants to cut you a deal, just wait until you get here.

Then again, the spike in your insurance is gonna suck. Hard.

Lease in Miami, definitely. Everyone does.
    Car dealers everywhere and lots of options in Broward too.

LandRover Palm Beach for a Range or LandRover, no doubt. (Ask for Kevin). Lexus of North Miami (ask for Kate, walk out on them, go on a Sunday when they are slow). Avoid Braman for BMW (my personal opinion, and they are the biggest).

Mercedes of Pompano is excellent (Avoid Merceds Benz of Miami off 167th at all costs). Performance Nissan of pompano is crap. (Owner is atrocious).

Audi of North Miami is high volume but they don't deal at all..Audi of North Orlando way better for haggling.

If u want used, go with OffLease Only,
    Great upfront pricing and tons of luxury cars with low miles.

Good luck!
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Which is the best BMW dealership to work with--service and price??...any salesperson you recommend??....thanks

Stopped by an Allstate agency (believe they go through a 3rd party for insurance) and rates quoted me were only slightly higher than CA--agent looked up my coverage.
    Last edited by elchevere; 11-27-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Which is the best BMW dealership to work with--service and price??...any salesperson you recommend??....thanks

Stopped by an Allstate agency (believe they go through a 3rd party for insurance) and rates quoted me were only slightly higher than CA--agent looked up my coverage.
    Aside from avoiding Braman, no experience with BMW. I don't personally like them as everyone in Miami has them (even kids). We try to be a bit different so that's why I got the electric blue lexus and my wife wanted a land rover (much more intimate dealer and easier buying experience from Rover).

Maybe just go on SwapALease.com and get someone's remaining lease until you get settled here in Miami. See how much you actually use it.

On the Beach or Downtown, my wife & I only needed 1 car and that was before Uber. I just used the MetroMover/Trolley/ and the now defunct 'car2go' when I wasn't using my scooter. Especially on the beach, I used my scooter everywhere since it was so much easier to park. (1 of the best reasons for me living on the beach and now a lot of my clients bought them and agree).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post

Everybody and their cousin Paco leases their cars here. And the leases are crazy cheap, I"ve seen bilbaords advertising Maserati leases here for like $699 a month.

Also, I looked into leasing a new car during my brief return to CA and I didn't see much difference in price. Unless Cal Worthington wants to cut you a deal, just wait until you get here.

Matt. if Cal Worthing didn't have acres of lot space, you always knew that intersection at the Pomona Fwy with Los Alamitos has more cars to sell than Dade and Broward combined. But as Marc suggested, you have to work within a 40 mi. radius ... unless you see that ad in Craiglist in Naples, in which local DMV advised Mrs. Blue hair she can no longer drive her new car.

I'm glad peeps stepped in regarding the lease thing. Seems popular in Miami .... and maybe CA these days if you live relatively close to work and don't pile on mileage allowance.

Bottom line is aquiring a car is the 2nd worst deal after buying a time-share. Even with that, i Irent\lease a car.It's s not in my DNA.

yeah, I've seen the Maserati Ghibli ads for $699 here in San Diego/La Jolla....it's basically on the 2 or 3 models they have on their lot they've been unable to sell that they use as teasers....Drive off is $5 or 6K and mileage on a lease might be 5 or 10K/year (forgot).....unlike some of the German cars, maintenance is NOT included--plan on spending at least $ 800/year....if you decide you want to order one from scratch with the options and color combination you want the monthly lease price is north of $900/month.

not sure why my post wasn't allowed but I'll re-type some of it again.

No rec's on BMW. I personally don't like them as everyone here has them (including the kids in high school). We try to be different which is why we got the land rover for her and me the electric blue lexus and prior to that, my mini clubman.

Most leases on these cars are 10k miles and its more than enough.

If i were you, I'd get someone's nice car on SwapAlease that they are trying to get rid of and see how you like driving in this area, as well as how often you use your car now that you are here. We lived downtown and in Sobe and only needed 1 car and that was pre-Uber. Now, I would just get a scooter again and use Uber.

yeah, I've seen the Maserati Ghibli ads for $699 here in San Diego/La Jolla....it's basically on the 2 or 3 models they have on their lot they've been unable to sell that they use as teasers....Drive off is $5 or 6K and mileage on a lease might be 5 or 10K/year (forgot).....unlike some of the German cars, maintenance is NOT included--plan on spending at least $ 800/year....if you decide you want to order one from scratch with the options and color combination you want the monthly lease price is north of $900/month.
    Those thoroughbreds make no sense in Miami. I can see if you in SoCal and let that horse experience the capibilty of HP driving through the desert to Vegas. At least a Maserati is more city friendly, and easier to drive than most cars in that category.

I agree with Marc on the Beamer. We had one before and prefer MB so much more. I've had a few friends back in LA that actuallty ordered their Beamer for delivery while in Germany It was cheaper to do so back then..... today they all drive Audi's.

It's great that Mark has a Land Rover, I love um. But what's the purpose of having one in Miami ? You can buy/lease a domestically built SUV for ~ $17G less and accomplish the same thing. I'm more a SUV type for the space and my lifestyle. Don't plan driving over dunes in the Sahara, but if you relocate in the Ceara province in Brazil, then maybe.

I've been told that Ceara is Portuguese for Sahara. My favorite state in Brazil. Just throwing that in as by your accounts, Miami is a transition post.

My advise is be be practical given the terrain. MB > BMW any day of the week if thast is your market range.

The first car we bought in Miami was a Ford Taurus. This was a while ago. Since then, Ford made so many improvements on that make. Don't know the numbers, but if it was a sedan I was seeking, I'd give it heavy consideration. I rent that model wherever I can. Ya. I'm Budget Rent-a-Car preferred. LOL !

Note: I'm not crtiicising Marc because his household has a Land Rover. I love that make.

I reserve my judgement for those that STILL own a a Porshe Cayenne . It was a heavy recent fad in my(305) neighborhood. They're almost all gone now.

Maybe I will have a look at the Jaguar XF--who is the best dealer to work with?

I have driven a BMW since 1992 and never had any issues (i lease a new one every three years)...in terms of performance handling, I have always found them to be much more of a drivers car than a Mercedes, which is more of a luxury/comfort car--unless one splurges for the AMG versions...my timing is not great with the current BMW 5 series as they are transitioning to a new body style just after I will have turned in my current 2014.

Maybe I will have a look at the Jaguar XF--who is the best dealer to work with?
    Warren Henry in Miami is great because you get the 'red cap' service where they come to your house and pick up your car, take it back, service it, and return it. (and can drop you a loaner car if needed). You get some free services, but the new Jags have 5 years free maintenance anyways. Warren Henry will also provide a driver for your car if you need one as well as some other nice features.

They are a big dealer so if you want something more intimate, try "The Collection" in Coral Gables. They have Jag, Maserati, etc. new with the same type of lease deals.

I agree on the BMW vs Merc - BMW is a more fun/responsive car to drive and I enjoyed them, I just hate 'being like everyone else' so I refused to get one. They usually have very good lease deals too (better than MB). My ideal car was the Maserati or the Porsche Panamera Turbo, but the payments were double what I'm paying and its just pure vanity at that point. I just need a nice car to take clients around in and not worry about maintenance or safety.

Regarding the Land Rover, that was my wife's pick. She was in love with the Range Rover Evoque but the trunk was just too small for our baby stuff. She drove the discovery sport and loved it. Her choice what Can I do... I preferred her Murano before trading it in and even the new fully loaded murano is cheaper than her Discovery with way better options (and a nicely updated body style for 2016+).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    not sure why my post wasn't allowed but I'll re-type some of it again.
    because it had another website name in it

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Warren Henry in Miami is great because you get the 'red cap' service where they come to your house and pick up your car, take it back, service it, and return it. (and can drop you a loaner car if needed). You get some free services, but the new Jags have 5 years free maintenance anyways. Warren Henry will also provide a driver for your car if you need one as well as some other nice features.

They are a big dealer so if you want something more intimate, try "The Collection" in Coral Gables. They have Jag, Maserati, etc. new with the same type of lease deals.

I agree on the BMW vs Merc - BMW is a more fun/responsive car to drive and I enjoyed them, I just hate 'being like everyone else' so I refused to get one. They usually have very good lease deals too (better than MB). My ideal car was the Maserati or the Porsche Panamera Turbo, but the payments were double what I'm paying and its just pure vanity at that point. I just need a nice car to take clients around in and not worry about maintenance or safety.

Regarding the Land Rover, that was my wife's pick. She was in love with the Range Rover Evoque but the trunk was just too small for our baby stuff. She drove the discovery sport and loved it. Her choice what Can I do... I preferred her Murano before trading it in and even the new fully loaded murano is cheaper than her Discovery with way better options (and a nicely updated body style for 2016+).
    The designers at Land Rover obviously see profitability catering to city life. I think I know which LR you are reffering to and that actually makes sense. I remember the the day Toyota Land Cruiser was the big boy on the block. Do they still make them ?

The " vanity" point is well taken by me. As you know, I drive a Honda which is highly functional for me ... minus the suidide doors. I originally thought that was a cool idea. It sucks ! Got about a year to think about letting her go. We also have a older Mitsubischi Montero stashed at the Couversier Bldg. parking garage. Mainly use it to hual the skiff 60 yards into water in KB. Need to get rid of it soon and replace the Honda with something with hauling power. We're also looking at GMC Yukon maybe to replace two cars.

I'll chine in Braman is the WORST. Do not buy there.

Also, you're going to be better off buying up in Broward or Palm Beach. I just bought a car in March and called the Doral dealership and the girl didn't even speak English who answered the phone. I go to the dealer in Pembroke Pines instead and everything is simple. Seriously, for anything that involves customer service of any sort you're ALWAYS better going north. Remember: Everything's better in Broward. #EBIB

I have been working with a BMW Holman Group dealership up in Lauderdale and they seem to be eager for my business.

I'll chine in Braman is the WORST. Do not buy there.

Also, you're going to be better off buying up in Broward or Palm Beach. I just bought a car in March and called the Doral dealership and the girl didn't even speak English who answered the phone. I go to the dealer in Pembroke Pines instead and everything is simple. Seriously, for anything that involves customer service of any sort you're ALWAYS better going north. Remember: Everything's better in Broward. #EBIB

I bought my car in Naples. Old white people and 6% sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    My father always had a saying. It was " see Naples and die." He wasn't referring to FL, but along this point, Naples is a great place to hunt a deal for a lightly used car.

Matt: We dealt with MB of Pembroke Pines. Nothing stellar other than standard customer service thsat should be uniform everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    you paid Dade County sales tax though. Its based on where the car is registered.

Otherwise, everyone would buy cars in Delaware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast