Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Florida documents

Just recieved a notorized letter from from Sun Trust that we satisfied the loan to a home purchased in Polk County.

What's cofusing is it looks like a joint statement from Sun Trust and Seminole County. I'm trying to figure out if Sun Trust is DBA in Seminole. The document doesn't resemble a Satisfation of Mortage. This never occured as the only two places we sold in FL still had a mortage.

I'm sure this is a FL thing because we paid of the bank on my wife's car after three months of financing, and we didn't get a Pink Slip. Subsequently, we found out after months, the county is holding your Pink Slip for a fee.

This is a moment a CA transplant freaks out and says" WTF,

Car issue is a minor matter. Tomorrow I'm going to visit Joe Tedder, the F we pay property taxes to each year and demand the deed. Truly have no clue why a county having nothing to do with the deal is involved.

Probably minor stuff, but it's a true Florida experience. I'm sure we're to pay a fee for a customer service agent to push a button for a copy of the deed.

It's an irritant, as the lending institution always took care of this. Not sure it's FL or sign of the times. Never had this issue till I moved here 12.7 years ago.

It's probally a nominal fee and I'm trying to rationaize it by not paying state taxes. It's still Mickey Mouse. Still have to $27 in tolls this weekend for Orlando - Miami RT.

I know Im ahead with the nominal stuff. It's just a pisser FL doesn't have it's sht straight.

Funny thing is Marc might tell me I can download my deed online for free. LOL ! It's just diffeent where I came from and used to.

Default Re: R.E. ? for Marc

The Satisfaction of Mortgage should be recorded with the county. I don't think you'll get a new deed from the county/state to your home. If you visit Polk County Property Appraiser website (I can't type the link Jess said before) and put in either your name or address, you'll see your record and from there, you'll see if a SOM was recorded or not.

Regarding the Car, Florida is a lien theory state, not a title theory state like NY, CA, etc. So you don't get your title (not a pink slip, this isn't fast and the furious) until you pay off your car and then request it. You can go to a DMV and get it, but it costs a lot more. If you are patient, you can request it online for like $3 and they'll mail you your title. If the bank sends in that your lien is paid off, the state might then mail you your new title free of liens. I just always requested mine once it was paid off just for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    The Satisfaction of Mortgage should be recorded with the county. I don't think you'll get a new deed from the county/state to your home. If you visit Polk County Property Appraiser website (I can't type the link Jess said before) and put in either your name or address, you'll see your record and from there, you'll see if a SOM was recorded or not.

Regarding the Car, Florida is a lien theory state, not a title theory state like NY, CA, etc. So you don't get your title (not a pink slip, this isn't fast and the furious) until you pay off your car and then request it. You can go to a DMV and get it, but it costs a lot more. If you are patient, you can request it online for like $3 and they'll mail you your title. If the bank sends in that your lien is paid off, the state might then mail you your new title free of liens. I just always requested mine once it was paid off just for peace of mind.
    Good info. Thanks !

Been in FL 12 plus years and these nuances creep up on you and make you wonder.

If I remember, my county wanted $33 for my car's pink slip. Our other car was purchaed in Dade so I'll assume the same deal there.

Just a note and maybe a bit contray. We did purchase a time-share in Captiva and did actually recieve a Satisfaction of Mortaage from Lee County. We eventually sold it in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    If I remember, my county wanted $33 for my car's pink slip. Our other car was purchaed in Dade so I'll assume the same deal there.
    Should only be $10 if you want it right away, otherwise, its cheap or free if you request a title to be mailed to you:

"When an electronic lien is satisfied, a lien satisfaction will be sent electronically to the Department. The title will then remain electronic until a request for paper title is received. Owners with e-titles can request a paper title through the Departmentís Virtual Office website website. There is a service fee of $2.50 to convert an e-title to paper. Owners can also obtain a paper title immediately at a tax collector office that offers same day title printing for $10.00."

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Should only be $10 if you want it right away, otherwise, its cheap or free if you request a title to be mailed to you:

"When an electronic lien is satisfied, a lien satisfaction will be sent electronically to the Department. The title will then remain electronic until a request for paper title is received. Owners with e-titles can request a paper title through the Departmentís Virtual Office website website. There is a service fee of $2.50 to convert an e-title to paper. Owners can also obtain a paper title immediately at a tax collector office that offers same day title printing for $10.00."
    Thanks again.

I'm used to a different system where I don't have to hunt down documents I'm entitled to, and well lit loney roads.

I left LA they same day Shaq was dished to Miami. Don't regret the move, but never expected a senseless form of inefficency on part of the state.

Paying no state taxes eventually has a price. A price I can live with ... but fuc.