Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elchevere

Thread: Local Recommendations--Various Items

Default Local Recommendations--Various Items

Now that I am one day away from being funded/closing escrow and planning on becoming a Miami resident as early as next Wednesday, could use the following recommendations:

1. Best Place for a haircut (in which they won't butcher my hair).....let's assume a Brickell address.....I know in SoBe haircuts averaged starting at $60 (ridiculous)....looking for quality place in the $30-40 range.

2. Best Dry Cleaners for my good clothes.....someone recommended Ray's Cleaners in Gables....I don't want a run of the mill cleaner who will use starch and crack the buttons on my dress shirts....willing to pay a premium for a very good cleaner.

3. Best optician--preferably with on site fitting who can fill a new prescription same day (as I do not have a back up pair of regular eyeglasses)....I don't mind their ordering lenses a week in advance, but prefer lenses being fitted into my frames same day, if possible.

4. Medical Center--my general physician at Scripps here in SD did his residency in Miami....he highly recommended the U of Miami facilities--agree?....better than Cleveland Clinic??

5. Best dentist--prefer modern dentistry. If I crack a tooth and need a crown, prefer someone who uses computer imaging and can perform this on same visit within hour or so in one visit (and not use outdated "impressions" with multiple visits required).

6. Best place for car wash by hand where they actually spend more than one minute drying the car....open to guys who detail but do washes in basements of office buildings or high rises. Prefer keeping cost to $25 or less (preferably less) and do not try and upsell "packages" or year long commitments.

7. Best place to buy contemporary furniture (once I find and buy a place.)

8. Best place for bedding (debating whether to bring my sheets, blanket and comforter with me or start new....not sure if "furnished" rentals include bedding).

That's it for now....might have additional questions later but looking to replace my go to guys in SD with go to guys in my new home. Thanks for the suggestions.

Default Re: Local Recommendations--Various Items

Congrats, dude !

1) I'm not vain. I use the same electric clipper I use on my dogs to shave my head.

2) When needed, we use the dry cleaner next to Brickell Publix. Note: not the Mary Brickell Publix. Never had a problem.

3) We use Costco for optometry. A bit inland and maybe no help.

4) Here is were you'll experience a huge downgrade. My niece's Cancer got cured at Scripps. All I can say is our daughter was born at Miami Baptist and we were happy with the experience. My wife uses that facility for all here medical needs. It took me five years to figure how best to service my medical needs. Took me a while. It'll be a long weeding out process. This likely might be your major disappointment. The readership here tends to be younger and might not know what's really happening here, especially what you're accustomed to. If you give me a moment, I'll provide you a contact to discuss this .... A ombudsman, if you will , that passionate about health care and knows all the ins and outs how the system works here in FL, and recommendations. Give my a few days to get her contact. She'll set you straight.

5) no experience

6) We love Miami Auto Spa about 5 blocks W of Brickell on Calle Ocho. It's way less than $25, and they have plans where they'll give you're car the full monty after x visits, Unless someone says other, hand wash places are tough to find. Maybe like you, I prefer to wash and fornicate my own car with Meguiar's lotions. LOL !

7 & 8) I'm sure you can get a better range of advise here from others. As for me, there is a three block area in Coral Gables where the Venetian Pool is located that personally offer the best furniture options ( my opinion) . Our bedding we got in Midtown. Plenty heavenly options there near the Target store.

Oooh this is a fun one. LIke a little mini-story right here on the site.

1. Junior and Hatter in Wynwood. Super hispter but they do a fantastic job. It's not a luxury spot, but still feels like a quality cut.

2. Cleaners depends on what part of town you're in. But honestly nice neighborhoods rip you the F-off, and going into Little Havana you get great cleaners at a great price. Where will you be living?

3. NO Idea

4. Mt. Sinai. Duh. Though Baptist in South Miami is good, as is Doctor's Hospital near the UM campus. Just never, EVER go to Jackson or anything in the "health district."

5. I used SoFi dental for a while and they were great. The one I use now is in Boca, and also great, but that might be a bit of a trek.

6. What Blackford said. Although Magic Hands on US-1 is good. Fuck The Car Wash, though. They do a good job but never tell the truth about how long it's going to take. Cactus in Lauderdale is the best, though. #EBIB

7-8....yeah no straight dude on here is gonna know the answer to that one. Design district?

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I can't imagine driving all the way to Weston and Cleveland Clinic for your GP. They are good but there are plenty of other good GPs in South Florida. Like NYC and Beverly Hills, South Florida attracts the best. And some wackos.

As for furniture, I love Z Gallerie. Very contemporary, fun, not insanely expensive.

http://www.zgallerie.com/storelocations.aspx

Furniture - No shortage of contemp, high end furnishings in Miami. Up and down Biscayne you'll be overwhelmed from 20th thru Design District to Upper East side.

Dentist - We go to Orlando. We had 1 bad person after another and the guy I grew up with was so fast and nice so we just drive up twice a year and visit family and get our cleanings/cavities filled. He's a bit pricey though (Dr. Jon Preble, Altamonte Springs, FL).

Cleaners - no shortage of them in Brickell. Best to just use trial and error, avoid any 'groupon' people if you are a fanatic about your clothes. A bunch will pick up/deliver to your building and some buildings have cleaners on the 1st floor.

Eye Doctor - Yaffe Eye in Aventura - Been around forever, friendly, not the fastest, but very well versed.

Car Wash - again, very prevalent in Brickell/Downtown. Most details will be at least $25 and more if you have an SUV. Miami is expensive for car was places. Even the drive in ones are like $15 now where you give your keys to somebody. A lot of office buildings have detailers that come out weekly and wash the exec's cars. I'm sure CityCentre will have one now for all the attorneys working in the South Tower.

Haircut - Check out RazzelDazzles in brickell for women in Bustiers as barbers and do the hot neck shave. Other than that, I don't care much about pricey haircuts because I keep my hair pretty short. $18 @ Haircuttery is fine for me.

Medical - UM Is great of course and Mt Sinai is excellent on Miami Beach. Like Matt said, avoid Jackson. They are building a Baptist Health in Sobe (Finally, a hospital in Sobe!) so I'm sure that will be great but the one in Kendall is great as well. Cleveland clinic is pretty far.

Bedding - furnished rentals will include that. Otherwise, we usually order ours online since there are so many deals on places like Overstock.com

Good luck!

Cool..thanks everyone--so sounds like if I rent furnished no need to bring sheets or pillow cases.. Use the rental ones provided or start new.

Debating--I do have a couple of paintings, no sentimental value (except for one) that I might be able to get $1K for if I get lucky and someone buys it off of ebay...not sure if its worth shipping Fedex ground to Miami or giving away...might or might not go with the Miami style..hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Cool..thanks everyone--so sounds like if I rent furnished no need to bring sheets or pillow cases.. Use the rental ones provided or start new.

Debating--I do have a couple of paintings, no sentimental value (except for one) that I might be able to get $1K for if I get lucky and someone buys it off of ebay...not sure if its worth shipping Fedex ground to Miami or giving away...might or might not go with the Miami style..hmmm
    When I moved to FL, it was pretty much a clean break, I arrived pretty much empty handed. Only thing I clung to was a dresser and a bike. If you have bulk, rail is the way to go. I'm assuming your company is not paying for relocatiion. That's a sweet deal. When my wife relocated ( twice ) her employeer footed the bill x country. Miami to LA, and back to Miami. The residual of that is we have a her antique hutch and coffee table. Our Miami pad is contempory.

We didn't bring any art works with us. We mostly hang her talented ssiter's art work - shit I haven't figured out the scheme. It matches. so I'm cool. I did buy two Giecki Koa fish pieces during a St. Augustine bender. Unfortunately, Thomas Kincaid had, at that time a studio there and she bought a piece without my authorization. He actually had a piece of the Santa Monica Pier I was interested in, though I abhor that pier. I hsve two reasonsd why my doors are unlocked in CFL: it's safe. and I want somebody to ripp off that painting. I'll give her cred that dud died three years ago and it's appreciated. F TK.

Anyways ..... moving is a bitch and exciting as well. New promises and landscapes. Best of luck, and hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-09-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks...I should be able to get by having 6-7 boxes shipped via Fedex Ground (they will pack and bubble wrap for me inside the store)--what I did when I cleaned out my moms assisted living place. Hotel will receive them in for me.

if you speak Spanish, found a mobile car wash/detail guy while walking on Brickell Bay Drive who will come to your place and wash your car (interior and exterior) for $20....seems like a very good deal....phone # is 786-532-3390....ask for Carlo or Billy.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.