Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: We're moving to Miami!

New User

Default We're moving to Miami!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are moving from London to Miami in February and just wanted to say Hi and ask if anyone has any tips for us?

We're relocating for my husband's job, he has an L1 visa and I have an L2 visa and will be applying for an EAD, so will need to wait a few months until I will be able to work.

We're visiting Miami in January for a 'new life recce' as I'm calling it and will start our flat-hunting mission then.

My husband's office is in Coconut Grove, near Coco Walk, and I've been looking at Grove Station Tower as a potential for us...does anyone know if this is a safe/friendly area as it looks like it's on a busy junction on google maps?

Ideally we're looking for a new-ish apartment block that would be quite sociable as we don't know anyone in Miami. A pool and gym would be ideal so it looks like Grove Station Tower is the best option for us (although there's only so much you can learn from googling!)

Also does anyone know if there's much of an ex-pat/Brit community in Coconut Grove? We don't speak Spanish but will definitely start learning once we're there.

We're planning to stay in Miami for 2-3 years so feel free to share any wise words that might help us along the way!

Olivia x

Default Re: We're moving to Miami!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Grove Station tower is on the otherside of US-1, which means its busier, and its not nearly as nice as the area south of it. While Grove Station is in the same zip code, its not what we locals consider Coconut Grove.

Look on Realtor . com for rentals and you can get a better idea of what's out there for your budget. There should be lots of rentals, but the Grove is one of the more expensive areas and the apartments are usually smaller, so please keep that in mind.

The Gables is nice and you might have more options there, but being an ex-pat, you'll probably find the Grove (or South Beach) more to your liking as far as social-able and not a predominant latin-speaking area.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

Thanks Marc, I thought that might be the case but it's the nicest apartments I've seen with a pool, but perhaps we'll find something on our trip that's nicer in real life than in photos.

We don't mind having a small apartment if it means being closer to everything and the right amenities. Are there any streets you would recommend as being the nice parts? My husbands office is on Mary street so we're looking for something in a 15-20 minute walk.

I'm not an artist but this gives you a good idea of the actual 'grove' vs what a zip code would produce...

Name:  Grove.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  96.7 KB

New User

Thanks Marc - that's very helpful!

The thing about the Grove is, it can go from nice to incredibly dangerous in a matter of blocks. So if a rent looks cheap, it's likely in the bad part. Just be careful and use your judgment when you look at places. If it looks even a little shady (or 'dodgy' as you Brits call it) then stay away.

As Marc said, Coral Gables might be a better move. Do you have a car? If that's the case, definitely go to Coral Gables. All is nice, and you'll have an easier time without Spanish. I don't know a ton of British expats, but the ones I do know all live in Miami Beach. That commute isn't bad, but not sure it's worth it if you're fine to live in the Grove or Gables.