Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Which company is better for internet and TV?

is one company better than the other or are they the same in terms of reliability.....my gut tells me in the event of a rain storm, I would still get reception with Comcast....yes/no??......I know DirecTV sells the MLB Extra Innings package and would assume Comcast does as well.

Default Re: Comcast v DirecTV for Internet/TV--Which is Better

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    is one company better than the other or are they the same in terms of reliability.....my gut tells me in the event of a rain storm, I would still get reception with Comcast....yes/no??......I know DirecTV sells the MLB Extra Innings package and would assume Comcast does as well.
    Until recently, we had AT&T' uverse and never a complaint. We're currently cableless in Miami. At the moment we use our cable app to access some broadcasting in Miami.

As far as MLB, I subscribed to MLB TV which is $99.00 a year. Both TPA and MIA games are blocked unless you jimmie your IP address. Fortunantey not a concern of mine. If that's what you're talking about, your computer connect solves that issue. I know Comcast has several issues in LA in regards to Dodger and Laker game coverage. I don't use them. In CFL I have now Spectrum which transitioned off of Brighthouse last few weeks. I gave them hell last week as I had no internet, land line or cable for more than a day. It wasn't their fault as landscaping peeps ran a mower over a communication conduit I share with my neighbor.

My HOA dues if CFL covers basic cable. That was never an option in any of the buildings we dwelled in Miami. Maybe some buildings do it in Miami,- don't know. I think it's powerful for an HOA to present a cable company 100's of tenant's business for a reduced rate. Might be trickier in Miami because of the a la carte of that market. Many want a package where they get news and novelas from their home country. That deal varies among cable companies.

I need to check which provider my building is hooked up with...fairly certain it will be one, not both.

As far as MLB Extra Innings, I just care if I get Yankee games....if the Marlins or Rays are blacked out, that's fine....I have a feeling I may have to go with DirecTV.....probably not as big an issue end of December - June as it would be June - December (more storms, bigger ones at that, starting in late summer which could effect coverage--though my building probably has a huge dish assuming their free service is with DirecTV).

Next question....is there a huge difference between 40 mbps and 10 mbps?....only a $10/month difference and I will need to connect into my company VPN for Outlook and Oracle database for reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Until recently, we had AT&T' uverse and never a complaint. We're currently cableless in Miami. At the moment we use our cable app to access some broadcasting in Miami.

As far as MLB, I subscribed to MLB TV which is $99.00 a year. Both TPA and MIA games are blocked unless you jimmie your IP address. Fortunantey not a concern of mine. If that's what you're talking about, your computer connect solves that issue. I know Comcast has several issues in LA in regards to Dodger and Laker game coverage. I don't use them. In CFL I have now Spectrum which transitioned off of Brighthouse last few weeks. I gave them hell last week as I had no internet, land line or cable for more than a day. It wasn't their fault as landscaping peeps ran a mower over a communication conduit I share with my neighbor.

My HOA dues if CFL covers basic cable. That was never an option in any of the buildings we dwelled in Miami. Maybe some buildings do it in Miami,- don't know. I think it's powerful for an HOA to present a cable company 100's of tenant's business for a reduced rate. Might be trickier in Miami because of the a la carte of that market. Many want a package where they get news and novelas from their home country. That deal varies among cable companies.

Atlantic BB hands down.

At&T suck, and in the case of the beach, their lines are salted and old: bad service that goes out all the time.

Default Re: Which company is better for internet and TV?

Agree...ATT sucks big time in every aspect. Worst customer service.

Comcast's customer service isn't much better. Maybe try DirecTV and report back, I don't know a lot of people who have it, just a couple of sports bars.

Got lucky--guy renting me the furnished unit has a router so I can use Webpass...DirecTV already up and running, just need to call them to add HBO and MLB Extra Innings.

FYI....Webpass is anything BUT lightning speed....if speed does not pick up within the next week or so will be cancelling service and going with another internet provider.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    FYI....Webpass is anything BUT lightning speed....if speed does not pick up within the next week or so will be cancelling service and going with another internet provider.
    I've never heard of it, but I've had free high speed internet from hotwire & opitacel the last 3-4 years in my various high rises so maybe its new or something. Before that it was Atlantic Broadband which was pretty fast. Hotwire was the best of the 3 in my experience.

DirecTV is awesome. I can't wait to move out of our condo so we can have it again!

As far as MLB Extra Innings, I just care if I get Yankee games....
    If you get Sun Sports, part of Fox Sports, in your package, you'll get the Yankee's when they play in Tampa and you'll be fine.

You bastards got Chapman. I wanted him ! Not sure if I'll upgrade my MLB package next season. Only did it because of Vince Scully last two years. I'm an early riser and only last a few innings from games played on the west coast. Like everyone here in FL, we remain loyal to the native home team.

As far as AT&T Uverse, never had reason to complain or call their customer service. If I had to, I agree their customer service sucks.

In Miami, the strongest outfitter is the one that gives the consumer the best options to watch programming from their country of orgin. That's Direct TV's advantage, though other outlets give some options.

As I mentioned above, I've had Brighthouse for 13 years in FL and it's been good.

Lat night I see a scroll warning NBC and it's affiliates might not be offered anymore, and to call a number. Spectrum recently aquired Brighthouse and that always results in shenanigans when we have fewer choices.

Contrary to what some might believe, I watch MSNC & CNBC more than FOX. I also watch Vanderpup rules on Bravo to get my hometime feel.

If an agreement is not reached, might have to make a switch to Direct TV. I've seen this play put when Time Warner held out of Dodger games in LA market. These mergers suck and the consumer always suffers. You here about thhis issues all the time and when it personally affects you, it's fristrating.

If I have to go to my community sports bar to watch Lions vs. Packers, I'm gone,

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/30/medi...ions-blackout/

FOX news is fine. But Vanderpump Rules? Oh man you lost me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    FOX news is fine. But Vanderpump Rules? Oh man you lost me there.
    I knew I was going to get some push=back on that comment.

As I previously have mention, I've always been a east of La Brea guy. My roots are E Hollywood. At one time 20-30 years ago, I'd visit Plummer Park to play tennis 4x a week after work, It was the best public court option in the city or my vicinity with lights. That park is now the center of West Hollywood city government and I get hints on how that city has changed. It was a fledging gay area then but once dominated by middle class working Russians with a good number milking the government out of programs. Curiosity and nostaglia is why I watch. Usually 3A reruns because there's nothing else on, Something similar if you watched Laguna when it was on to get a taste of Orange County, On the other hand, when I'm back home, patronizing those restuarants never cross my mind.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-31-2016 at 07:44 AM.