Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hi Ed,

I just wanted to reiterate what Tere said ... you might consider something more central. FIU main campus is no where NEAR downtown. In fact, it's on the other side of the city altogether. If you're concerned about housing costs, you're probably better off living close to campus.

The FIU main campus is a pretty sluggish commute (mainlanders, correct me if I'm wrong!) from Downtown. How would he get there? I mean 8th street to 112th would be non-stop lights and if I recall correctly 826/836 are bumper to bumper during rush hour. I'm thinking: time spent wasted commuting is time you could be working or studying!

Let's help this guy out!

PS ... Ed, don't listen to what those other people say about Miami. Come here and make the most of it!

New User

Hey Maria,

I have thougt about moving more closer to the FIU campus. Right now in PA I drive about an hour everyday to get to class, and I usually take early classes, so im out of the house by 6am. Is the traffic really bad at that time?

The problem is that I dont want Miami to be just like home. Right now I live in central PA, and it is BORING. I totally understand where you are coming from though, the commute sounds like its a nightmare. Looks like there is still a bunch of research for me to do.

Ive checked how far the campus is, and it looks like its about an hour from downtown and maybe a little more from the beach. Im really confused right now because I want to move to miami and not be too far from SoBe because I have alot of high school buddies who live there and we all plan on getting together for study nights.

Thanks for the input.
    Eddy

In the morning, heading west (towards the campus), it's opposite of traffic. FIU classes don't start till about 7:15 and at that time, traffic should be decent.

What won't be decent is the drive back, as SW 8 St., Coral Way and the Dolphin Expressway (all the main thoroughfares back east) are high-traffic at any given time of the day. Some days you'll get no traffic; others you'll be stuck forever.

If your main concern is being close to the beach, you can realistically live in the Gables or close to that area and still be close enough to the beach to go regularly. The compromise might be to not go too far out (like 67, 87 or 107 Ave), but still go out a bit.

Hi Ed, I agree with Tere on the Gables. It's central between the two points and in and of itself, a nice place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaldez
    Every other website ive been to today is bashing on miami. They say its the worst place to live and ill come to hate it more than any other place ive ever lived. Im not going to miami with high expectations, im going to start a new life for myself and complete school. Those comments on those forums really arent motivating.
    Eddy
    Hey Eddy,

I am going to Miami to work because most of my family lives in southern florida. I researched and visited a lot of forums before I found this one. Like you say, according to the others, there is not a friendly face in Miami. Then I found this site and I found at least 6 all in one place--Tere, Michelle, Gus, Maria, Doug, Pancho, and others--people who for no other reason than to be helpful, give out great information to help those transitioning to Miami.

Don't believe the people in those other forums...they haven't been hanging out at in the right places ;-) I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to a great time in Miami!

Good luck!
    Suzanne

Hey NJ - they don't call it the magic city for nothing- I LOVE living here and find most of the bashers either wish they had 12 months of mild weather or they are just unhappy complainers - its much easier to hide behind your laptop and say whatever...
    Miami Rhapsody said it best “I guess I look at marriage sort of the same way I look at Miami. It's hot, and it's stormy, and occasionally a little dangerous, but if it's really so awful, then why is there still so much traffic?”

Every day I wake up and feel like I'm in paradise... I used to cry happy tears every time I drove by the "Welcome to Miami Beach sign
    it's an amazing place to live - whatever you want - you can find it. The culture is amazing. The weather is to die for -and the energy of the city is AWESOME!
    I remember my own move to Miami - and I had a lot of trial by fire - The people on this site are honest, knowledgable, sincere, and helpful - any questions you may have - ask away - we're here to help :)

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Commuting to downtown from South Beach via the causeway is not bad at all. Personally, my general view here in the forums (and as a Miamian) is to stay away from downtown/river area as far as living is concerned. But Brickell is good in my book.
    why not live downtown again?

ive been reading the forums but i didnt get that vibe...

The reason I don't recommend downtown (especially to a newcomer) is because that area is still growing and some areas are shady and/or desolate at night, not to mention dangerous. It's good to be able to leave your apartment by foot at anytime and not have to worry about crime, homeless, drug dealers, hookers, etc;

Miami's downtown has yet to grow into a cosmopolitan night-life section of the city. While the center of law/government/ and commerce during the day, downtown and its immediate surroundings are still a ghost town at night. That being said, this will hopefully be a completely different story 10 years from now.

Suzanne C

Kastetx, the resounding reason(s) not to live in downtown:

The soup kitchen/homeless shelter and the empty Miami Arena where all the homeless convene that is smack in the center of where all the new buildings are. Factor in the traffic from games/concerts/events at the American Airlines Arena and I think you'll see the cons outweigh the pros.

Downtown is great for people who work and play in downtown or Brickell and don't have cars. Just don't leave your gate enclosed, 24 hr monitored security building...

City officials and developers have been trying hard to sell downtown as the next Manhattan, but it just ain't happening. Not even close. You have a desperately poor area that's been invaded by condos that not even a professional can afford, plus crime, drugs, prostitution and no life past 6 pm.

Had things been better planned, downtown might now be a great urban area to both live and play. But it didn't happen. And with all these half-finished condos and brand-new buildings that are mostly empty, we have a LONG way to go before the area realizes its full potential.

New User

Thanks guys.

I actually just got back this sat. Was scouting around and taking care of business.

I know the downtown area b/c of the clubs down there and know Ive seen it during the day. Its v. pleasant during the daytime but I see what youre saying about the night.

Some apartments and buildings there arent so bad actually... You do have other valid points however... Eventhough I am from NYC and Ive seen almost everything if not everything I see no point of moving somewhere more horrendous than where I am now.

Also, a word of opinion: Before this visit, my last visits seemed to depict a picture of total perfection from south beach and avenutra/sunny isles areas. After reading these forums I took a closer look and notice that avenutra and sunny isles are nice indeed but a bad commute at rush hour. Iwas on 95 going south around 530 and the opposite direction was a standstill. Combine the vast amount of cars on the road with the general slow driving of Miami and it can be almost as bad as NYC (please note that I totally disagree that Miami traffic is worse than NY)

Also, sunny isles and aventura are fully of older people. Not really my scene. I doubt that as a young professional or as a fun loving young adult one would make use of all the pleasures available in the areas due to the time restraints that will be brought on by realities of commute and the areas geenral slow paced attitude.

As for south beach.. well..... as you depart from the beach itself and beyond washington ave you will notice older buildings, hints of "ghostownism", dirt and lots of drunk/homeless people (perhaps visitors) that are sometimes friendly... Other times... not so friendly indeed.
    The beach is nice and all but it seems that the general attitude (again, perhaps due to high numbers of tourists) is that its "all about relaxation" in terms of drugs and alcohol.

Im so glad ive been around these forums and they are shedding the reality of light onto my moving decisions instead of giving me false hopes of heaven on earth.

That being said, Im still set on my move!

Hi kastetx, if you avoid the touristy areas of South Beach it's not so bad. (Think more to the western part of the island.) But it's definitely true, some streets on South Beach have seen better days.

Mid-Beach is far less hectic and crowded, since it's mainly a family-oriented residential area.

I agree with what you said about commuting. Sunny Isles/Aventura would be good if you're working near that area, but not so convenient if you have to commute. Sunny Isles is also far more family-oriented as well as very popular with seasonal residents and snowbirds.

New User

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for keeping the thread alive.

Heres an update: Ive spent a while now doing research and its pretty much a tie between downtown Miami and the FIU main campus area. Ive figured that its better to live on campus, with a lot of students and not as desolate as downtown Miami at night.

Ive ruled out any area of the beach, seeing as the commute doesn't seem worth it, as well as the high cost of food and apartments.

Somehow I feel that living farther from the beach is better. I can go once in a while on the weekend to have a good time, but I'm really coming to Miami to get down to business and get good grades.

Once again, thanks all.

Eddy

Hi Evaldez, living on campus sounds worth a try. You won't have to commute as much, which will help you focus on your studies. It'll also help you get settled into Miami with some kind of pre-organized living situation where things are already worked out, no landlord hassles, etc; and also it will help you make new friends a little faster than living on your own. You're right, you can always come to South Beach for a mini-break from school. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Eddy -

Living oncampus at FIU, huh? That in and of itself is one of the most "Miami" experiences you can get so I agree with maria. sounds right for you. Less hassle getting to and from school, and all you have to do to get to the Beach is hop on 836 (now with a lovely new toll right before your exit!). Yes, enjoy Flagami/Sweetwater. I know a great palce to get your hair cut over there.

Suzanne C

You'll be happy to know Eddy that you've got a Publix, Wendy's, Taco Bell, BK, Pizza Hut and McDonalds right across campus on 107th Ave and SW 16th ST. There's also a pool hall that you'll catch me at regularly- Nu Wave Billiards...I love that place...don't care for the Bachata they play in there but w/e

I'd say living on campus will only SUCK the two weeks that the Dade County Youth Fair is running.

New User

Hey everyone,

Once again, thanks for all the contributions, any bit helps. I was actually thinking of living near the campus area, but not directly on campus. There's many reasons for it but I would save more money living in an apartment near the area (if I can find one). Its good that there are a lot of places nearby, Ill probably end up getting a small part time at a local bar or retail store.

If anyone has any idea where I can find good apartments in the area, please let me know.

Thanks alot =)

Eddy

Suzanne C

Here's one of the few times you'll hear this in these forums: KENDALL! Cheap apartments, quick commute...you can't go wrong with Kendall. Try looking around the area of 107th AVe and SW 88th ST (Kendall Drive). There are cheapER apartments around there plus you're pretty close to two local bar hangours: Kendall Ale House and Gatsby's. Gatsby's has GREAT beer specials on Tuesdays.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Evaldez
    "If anyone has any idea where I can find good apartments in the area, please let me know. "
    Hi, Eddy. Have you searched the Craigslist Miami website for apartments near FIU North?

My friend just rented a master bedroom in a private home in Miami Gardens for $695 -- including Internet and Cable TV. He found the rental on Craigslist.

Hey Eddy and everyone else,

I was just browsing through topics and voila! I guess alot of people are going to FIU for school eh? And to the South campus one too! That's where I am going too! :)

So someone said Belle Meade or Morningside? Any other gated communities around there to recommend? Or realtors to contact for apartments? It would be great to get names of properties or apartment complexes or realtors...then I or we can contact them! Thank you so much!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast