Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New User

Default Living in the Downtown Miami Area

Hey Guys:

Its been a while since I posted on the forums. If you guys dont remember I was the out of state pennsylvania medical student who posted a thread about moving down to Miami for medical school. I do want to start by saying thanks again to everyone who helped me out in that thread and furthered my decision to move to Miami.

Well things are looking pretty good and I plan on moving to Miami this summer If me and the school can work everything out. I was just down to miami on january 25th to get a feel of the place, and the weather was kind of chilly but it was great compared to PA.

So the issue now is that Im looking for an area where I can have a job nearby, and not be TOO far away from south beach and downtown. The area I checked on my trip was the Aventura/Sunny Isles/North Miami Beach area. This area is close to the aventura mall, which could be good for a day job. The lack of loud noise could be great for my night time studying and sleep. South beach was about 10-15 minutes down collins and it didnt seem too bad.

So my question is - How are these areas in terms of living? They seem quieter than SoBe and thats what I think ill need. I also noticed the differences in gas price. I heard from a friend that the Aventura area has a lot of crime, but I saw so many police that I dont see it being THAT bad.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Ed

Edit: changed the title name

Hi Ed,

I like the Aventura area myself. You are right about it being quieter than South Beach and would be great for a day job. There are tons of opportunities at or near the mall.

I spent a lot of time working in Aventura and never thought crime was an issue. There are tons of police everywhere. I always felt safe walking/jogging around the mall area (Country Club Dr. circle).

South Beach is more like 30 minutes down the road but that shouldn't make a difference if you're just to go there to party.

Let us know what you decide or if you have any other questions. :-)

Hi Ed,

I moved to Miami Shores after living in South Beach for two years. It is so quiet at night and still close to everything - it is like this fabulous bedroom community tucked into the booming metropolitan area that is Miami. I'm less than ten minutes from the design district and midtown Miami, less than five from the beginning of all Biscayne Blvd in North Miami and Aventura has to offer, and many other places you'll want to go. www.miamishoresvillage.com I believe is the town's website. Plus, we have our own police force.

Regards
    Rebecca

Hi Evaldez, what school will you be going to? Commuting issues should be factored in as well. Congratualtions though ... I hope you can work everything out with the school!

New User

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it.

So today Ive been doing a lot of planning and research, and it looks like this area would be great for me if I was able to go to the FIU campus up north, but Ill be going to the campus near downtown. Ive decided the best place to go would be the brickell / downtown miami area. Im bummed out because I thought the aventura area was perfect, but It would be unreasonable to be 30 miles away from school as opposed to <10.

My concern is the causeway and 95. I dont want to have to deal with those 2 roads everyday to go to class mainly due to what everyone tells me about those roads and traffic.

Once again thank you Michelle, Rebecca, and Maria. If there is anything you guys can tell me about the downtown area as far as jobs for a college student and good places to find an apartment, please let me know.

Ed

Hey Ed! I didn't know FIU had a medical campus downtown! Good to know. Is this in downtown proper (Miami-Dade/Wolfson Campus) or is it in the Jackson Memorial area?

Commuting to downtown from South Beach via the causeway is not bad at all. Personally, my general view here in the forums (and as a Miamian) is to stay away from downtown/river area as far as living is concerned. But Brickell is good in my book.

If you're going to school in the Wolfson campus, I think South Beach would be an excellent option for you. You can take a bus to the Herald and then hop on the people mover.

There's another thread here about safe areas near the Miami river.

New User

Hey Maria, thanks for responding so quickly. Ive devoted all of today to doing all of my research so im on like 10 different sites frequently refreshing the page.

I may have worded that wrong, its not smack dab in downtown, its a couple of miles west towards the FIU main campus. 11200 SW 8th Street to be exact.

Im gonna change the title name again because I think i keep limiting myself to one section. Ive asked a couple of people and they say that there are a lot of homeless people downtown that sleep on the street at night and thats kind of creepy. I dont think south beach would work for me because of how expensive everything is. I cant find a studio for a decent price and thats pretty much the only thing holding me back from moving there.

If I could find a place on south beach that can work with what im willing to pay for rent, then I would love to head there.

Thanks Again
    Eddy

Hey Eddy,

Try the midtown area - there are lots of condos that are open due to the overbuilding situation. Also, you could check craigslist for the design district area, Belle Meade ( which is a gated community) or morningside ( also gated) - many of the homes in these areas have converted garages or inlaw quarters that have been converted to apartments - there are some great deals to be found. You want to try to be on the NE side of North Miami Ave. I've been to the FIU medical campus - it's gorgeous! Good luck and keep asking questions - I'll keep answering!

ps

This is all in the 30-60th street of Miami - you could easily get to where you need to go without the need for 95 or the causeway - and yes, 95 is a nightmare - in the morning and afternoon.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Beccal639
    ps

This is all in the 30-60th street of Miami - you could easily get to where you need to go without the need for 95 or the causeway - and yes, 95 is a nightmare - in the morning and afternoon.
    I did a search and wow the studios in this area are very reasonably priced.

Im still wondering how easy would it be for me to find a day job in the downtown area?

thanks becca!
    Eddy

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Evaldez
    Im still wondering how easy would it be for me to find a day job in the downtown area?
    Eddy, remind us what kind of job you're looking for?

New User

A decent paying retail or food services job would be good. Im a college student so I dont have time for more than that. Are there a lot of food and clothes store in the area?

Im also looking to get a bartending job for the weekends.

Thanks for contributing Gus,
    Eddy

Gus

Your welcome, Eddy.

There are lots of retail opportunities at Bayside Market Place, but can't say what the pay is like.

For a high-paying hospitality jobs in the Downtown Miami area, there's Capital Grill restaurant and the Intercontinental and Hilton hotels. There's also a few bars in Downtown that have a busy happy hour.

During basketball season, you can also pick up a good part job working the private sky boxes at American Airlines Arena.

Eddy

There are lots of bars, lounges, and restaurants in that area. For retail, there is the shops at Midtown Miami, which has Target, Marshalls, West Elm, Linens n Things etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaldez
    A decent paying retail or food services job would be good. Im a college student so I dont have time for more than that. Are there a lot of food and clothes store in the area?

Im also looking to get a bartending job for the weekends.

Thanks for contributing Gus,
    Eddy

New User

I just want to say thanks to everyone so far who has helped me out.

Every other website ive been to today is bashing on miami. They say its the worst place to live and ill come to hate it more than any other place ive ever lived. Im not going to miami with high expectations, im going to start a new life for myself and complete school. Those comments on those forums really arent motivating.

Im going to keep looking at apartments and prices, if anyone has anything at all that they can add, please do. You have all made this day that much better.

Eddy

Eddy, I don't know if this is an issue, but all the areas you're mentioning are quite far from the main FIU campus, which is pretty much at the end of Westchester and beginning of Kendall. It sounds to me like you might want to consider something more centrally located like Coral Gables or South Miami, or anywhere from the Blue Lagoon area (by the airport) to Flagler or SW 8 Street from 22 Ave to about 87 Ave.

Glad to be of service! There is a lot to love about this area - it all depends on what you choose to look at.

:)

New User

Hey Tere,

Im well aware im more than 10 miles east. I go to school now in Kutztown, which takes me an hour to get to everyday, so the drive really isnt a big issue to me.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Beccal639
    There is a lot to love about this area - it all depends on what you choose to look at.
    Well said, B, and welcome to MiamiBeach411.

Thanks Gus!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast