Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

[quote=Maria de los Angeles]
    Good for the soul but bad for the tan.
    Sun, this is an instant classic! I may have to quote you on my blog! :lol:
    Thanks Maria, you made my day! :coolsmile:

Outstanding pictures! As a tourist, I've always liked the "Mid Beach" area. Even my mom thought it was cool when she was growing up in Miami Beach back in the 40s and 50s. And back then air conditioning was just beginning to come on the scene. (for the rich) My advice is if you're going to rent/buy in Mid Beach ROLL NOW! This area is home to the icons of the rat pack elegance the Eden Roc and Fontainebleau. Both are expanding and restoring their properties. So once this is complete, this area will attain the high roller status that it had from 1955 to 1975 when Surfside 6, Goldfinger, The Bellboy and Tony Rome to name a few were at the top of their game!

hey doug, i'm planning on relocating from the mid-west to south beach towards the end of summer so i'm trying to do some homework. i will be working as a server looking for dj gigs around miami and miami beach..i have a lot of food & beverage experience so getting a decent server gig shouldn't be a prob, but finding affordable rent seems to be my only worry. i'm not sure if i can swing $1000+ on rent on server wages..i plan on coming down 1-2 times this summer to look for an apt. i am not familiar with the area since i havent been in a long time..do you think that mid-miami beach would be less expensive and close enough to the night life..i'm looking for a 1/1 or studio with kitchen and apliences, i need a parking space too.

are there any places i don't want to live on the south beach?

from what you've seen can i live decent for $700-800 and be able to walk to the beach, or should i just dispose of that wild idea?lol.. how are the utilities for apt.'s down there, maybe that can go towards rent premiums??

thanks to any body's input!!

JoeyR

Hi JoeyR, about the cheapest you'll find for one bedrooms here is going to be in the $950-$1000 range. A studio will probably run in the $800-$900 range.

There are server gigs in the Mid-Beach area; a good one should be able to afford you a comfortable apartment. Not being in that industry, I can't give you too many details there, but I can say that in addition to the club scene, there are also many hotel restaurants and bars all along Collins Avenue heading north.

As far as areas I wouldn't want to live in South Beach, personally I would avoid the eastern side around Washington, Collins, and even right around Lincoln Road, due to the congestion and hard to find parking -- not because they're bad per se, just very fast-paced and hectic.

The only area that is said to be a little "ghetto" is the area between Fifth and Sixth, Alton and Washington. Even that's not ghetto in the true sense -- just a few homeless people hanging around asking for change. It's not really scary, and I've never had any problems with crime or anything.

With regard to utilities, for a small one bedroom apartment, I pay about $55/month for electric in the winter months, and up to $130 in the summer. Water is usually included; gas is about $14 a month; basic cable is about $62.

Hope this helps!

cool! thanks man! looks like a studio will be my best bet..and that should be cool. i dont think i'm going to "uhaul" it any way..thanks for the 411

JoeyR

The beach at mid beach. Around 41st and Collins.

Looking South, around 39th Street.

One of my favorite parts of mid beach - where the rocks are located around 30th maybe? They create a nice little Caribbean type feel.

New User

Hey Burgundy,

Where did you take those beach pics from? I want to live there!! Do you know if that place or the tower next to it is renting 1 bedrooms? Thanks!

West of Alton and SoFi (South of Fifth) are nice quieter areas in south beach that are still walkable. Mid beach and North are really not pedestrian friendly. As you go further north it gets even harder. Bal Harbor doesn't allow bikes on the sidewalk! I guess you are supposed to bike with 40 mph traffic!

Great pics, Burgandy! Did you give them a Miami: CSI color enhancement, or is that the natural color of the ocean?

The residential areas of Mid-Beach are still walkable, though there is a dearth of sidewalks. Collins and Indian Creek are busy, to be sure, though.

I agree that South of Fifth (SoFi) in South Beach is pretty quiet, though the area West of Alton (along West Avenue) seems about as crazy as everything else, in my opinion...

The area around 41st street in Mid-Beach is highly walkable. 41st street is commerce/restaurants with sidewalks on either side that lead all the way to the ocean. The side streets are very quiet so the lack of sidewalks in some areas is not a problem. You betcha the area has to be walkable since so many orthodox Jews live there. They don't use their cars on Shabbos; everybody's walking around.

North Beach is a bit more sprawling, but there are little pockets of walkable commercial districts around Normandy Isle and in North Beach proper around the bandshell (approximately 71st to 80th street).

Everything north of 88th street is no longer City of Miami Beach. Surfside is then next township, followed by Bal Harbour. They have their own city regulations.

Burgundy, what awesome photos! That little mini-jetty area is around the 30's. There's a nice little crescent beach as well behind the Palms Hotel on 36th.

Thanks for the compliments.

Pharaoh: These were taken from the Crown. They rent studios, 1beds, and 2 bedrooms. I think they start around $1,200.

Doug: Very little photoshop here. The water really is that color, especially from up above. I also used a polarized lens which reduces the glare, making the water really pop in color.

Maria: I love that jetty area! The south side has a little lagoon type feature. The beach is much wider as well.

Polarizers intensify blues & greens, but yes, the water can attain that intensity even on its own.

I only wear polarized sunglasses. I used to wear them for fishing -- since they reduce glare, you can sort of "see" what's underwater. For everyday use, they really make Miami's sky, waterways and greenery stand out.

The beachchairs for the Fountainbleu Hotel (the tower that is open)

Rise and Shine! I need to wake up earlier one day...

I have been looking at places around 41st as well. it seems like it would be quieter and safer than the lower parts of miami beach, probably less traffic too.true?

I also concerned with how difficult is it to get to sobe from there? are the buses pretty good about going down there and how late/often do they run? also how much would a typical cab ride cost to go down to lincoln road or so?

also is living in SoFi really that quiet/safe? it seems like it could be pretty crazy at night/weekends?

hmm this is tough.

New User

Hi there - I posted a while back....just like everyone else I'm looking to relocate at the end of the summer.

What are the buzz words I can put in backpage/craigslist, etc. to find "mid-beach" apartments?

Spaceman -

I have never used public transit on the beach, but here's some info I just got from Miami-Dade Transit from a trip planning rep.

You can take the S Bus from Indian Creek Drive & 41st to Lincoln Road or Alton Road. It runs 24 hours but it slows down at night. Ditto on the way back. The bus will drop you off at Collins Avenue and 41st street. Other bus options around mid-beach are the H and C bus.

You can visit Miami Dade Transit's website or call 305-770-3131 for updated info. The trip planning people are very helpful. Once you get settled here, they can help you pick the best route depending on where you live, how fast you want to get there and frequency of use.

Routes don't change much but schedules do -- every six months. The next schedule change will take place on June 15th.

Bus rate is $1.50 each way.

South Beach has a local bus route that's only 25 cents, which can help you move around South Beach.

Here is the lay of the land.

Lincoln Road is a little less than 2 miles from 41st street. That's not much distance! A cab ride should be no more than $8 to Lincoln Road, including tip. I wouldn't use a cab for everyday commuting, but it's good for going to SoBe for any late-night partying. In some cases (depending on where you're going in South Beach) it's so much more worth it to take a cab because valet parking is prohibitive and self-parking is scarce.

Hands down, Mid-beach is WAY quieter and safer than South Beach. WAY less complicated. But you're still very close to all the action. I always say it's the best of both worlds.

Boxerlover -

I just did a search for "mid-beach" and saw a bunch of ads. Beware the ones that say North Bay Village, Normandy, Normandy Isle, Bay Harbor Island, anything upwards of 63rd street ... that's no longer mid-beach.

You can also try "Arthur Godfrey" but make sure the ad says "on" or "near" Arthur Godfrey (same thing as 41st street). Keep in mind, there are no apt buildings literally on Arthur Godfrey itself, with one exception (corner of Meridian and Arthur Godfrey). The rest of the buildings near Arthur Godfrey are recessed from the main road or a block or so away.

Take a look at this ad ... it's actually in my building. It says Intracoastal view, but that's not the intracoastal!

is it abnormal to require cashiers checks for first last and the deposit?

they dont do that where I am from in dc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast