Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default I want to work and live in Miami! Please Help

Hi,
    I live in the UK at the moment and i'm working as a Admin Assistant and would like to move to Miami to work maybe doing the same thing.
    I would like to move to south beach and work there to if possible if i can't get a job like what i'm doing now i'm open for suggestions on what else i could do out there!!!
    I would also like to know what my next step would be if i find a job for example Visa etc. and if i will be safe there on my own and is it easy to meet new people!!!
    Thanks
    Hope to hear from you soon x

Abi 1-

Welcome! I can't tell you much about the Visa stuff, but if you want a job as an Admin Assistant in Miami you would pretty much have to learn Spanish. I'm not saying you NEED to, but it is really hard to find a job doing that without Spanish skills. So that would be step one. Otherwise, South Beach has an abundance of waitressing and hostessing jobs that you can get with little experience and no Spanish.

I would advise you to save up a good deal of money (of course, the pound is worth a lot more than our dollar, but still you'd need a few thousand USD to start out) so you can pay your initial expenses (rent, security deposit, utility deposits, food, etc) before you start making regular money.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Welcome to MiamiBeach411, Albi. Thanks for posting your question here.

Since you're inquiry is about moving to Miami, I'm going to move this over to the relocation forum.

What is it that makes you want to live here?

New User

Thanks Matt,

I am willing to look into the other jobs out there. So thanks for that advice!
    How long do you think it will take for a visa to come through?
    Will it be easy to meet new people out there do you think????

Please keep the advice coming!!! hehe x

New User

Hi Abi!

I think in terms of visa you should go to the US embassy in the UK and ask them info or check out the immigration and naturalization website, which is a gold mine of information (uscis.gov).
    I guess it will all depends on your status in the US (i.e student, work visa etc.), how long you plan to stay etc. I remember before becoming a US resident I once had a student visa that allowed me to work for up to 18 months in the US but I was a student and that's not your case so again, it will depend on your status.
    I don't know much about visas but my guess is that you'll be probably need a J1 one visa but again, their website will tell you all that.

Patrice

Yeah, it's easy to meet people out here, especially if you are working in some sort of service industry job. Also, becasue we have a lot of new people coming here all the time (and a lot leaving too) a lot of folks who move here are looking to make friends.

New User

Why are alot of people leaving???
    Do you live out there?

Preferred Member

People move down here for the fantasy of living a beachy lifestyle. And they leave when they realize that is not all beach and party all the time. People have to work, and it's not so easy finding a good job down here. Mostly people start out in the service industry which can be difficult. There are a lot of demands, like you must be attractive, and do some ass kissing, employers expect you to bend over backwards to their 'rules' but do not care whether you're happy at work at all. Also people who come from more efficient cities find it hard to adjust to the slow pace of SoFla. Lastly meeting people is super easy, finding good friends is very tough as people tend to be aloof so you'll have to work extra hard to keep good people in your life. That said, I moved here a little over a year ago, and personally don't regret it one bit.
    Best of luck in your decision.
    Pris

New User

Thanks very much hopefully i will like it like you.
    Where did you move from?
    What are you doing out there?

I currently live out here, and did for several years before, but go to school in Gainesville (northern Florida) during the school year for the next year. Personally, I only left for educational reasons and plan to come back. Pris is right, a lot of people leave because living here is not like living anywhere else in America, and especially if you aren't Hispanic or don't speak Spanish it can be VERY hard. it is, in my opinion, the hardest city for an American to live in. But some people love it, so get from it what you will.

New User

Matt,

I know you've said that Miami is not a good city for Americans, but would you say that it's overall a good city for foreigners (not necessarily latinos)? Also, you've said that it was hard to live in Miami, is it mostly because of the language barrier? What I mean is even if someone who is not latino spoke spanish, would life in Miami still be hard?

Thanks
    Patrice

Preferred Member

I think the hardest part about living in Miami is two fold: 1) it's not your vacation spot once you live here day to day and have to work and can't party as much as you thought, etc. (see previous answer)., 2) the latin culture: if you haven't been exposed to Latin culture you'll be in for culture shock. Living in Miami is JUST LIKE living in a South American country. You hear spanish more than english, people are slow in general, and not as sharp as people in other bigger cities up north. People can be loud, they can't drive, and live much in the way they lived in their own country. For me, it was easy b/c I'm from Brazil and was looking forward to the experience, but I can see that for Americans would be difficult. You are the minority 'round here. ;)

Pri hit it dead on. Its great for foreingers if those foreigners are from Latin America. For a Brit? I don't really know how your culture would meld with Latin culture, so it really depends on you.

The language thing is tough. The nobody ever showing up on time for anything is tough. The slow pace is tough (and I came from the "laid back" West Coast and I still find people here to be immensely slow-witted).

On the upside, the food and culture of utter permisiveness are pretty cool.

New User

Thanks to you guys for your insight.

I personally wouldn't mind being exposed to the latin culture. And being there would actually help improve my spanish, which is something that I am looking forward to.
    The only thing that worries me would be to find a good regular job so I am still hesitant but we'll see. I will continue to read the different threads and something might help me decide.

Thanks again,
    Patrice