Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Good idea! How do you feel about Colin Ferrell's character from Miami Vice? I think he would make an excellent guest judge....

Rebecca, OMG, that is the best show idea EVAR!!! Brilliant!!!

Hello? The HOGAN FAMILY so needs to be guest judges!

And of course this fictional fictional show would not be complete without Horatio Cane.

Aww.. tks.. Yeah Hogie needs to go back in.

Maybe the show title should be changed to "So You Think You Wanna Move To Miami" and instead of getting eliminated people just throw their hands up and pack it on home each week cuz they can't handle it...Imagine that, a reality show where people vy to get sent back to Kansas....or wherever

New User

great thread. since i will be moving to sobe at the end of the summer for grad school this thread has given me some awesome perspectives on how locals think about miami. here's my 2 cents about miami in my limited exposure. have lived in la for 9 yrs and was out in miami about 3 weeks ago for my interview and stayed (stayed in sobe....ocean dr. of course) for a long weekend. for being it my first time i heard it was an awesome city with great cuban culture, nightlife, and restaurants. i agree completely about sobe's nightlife and restaurants....awesome. seriously are the bars/clubs open till 5am? nice. nothing like sitting on the 101 bumper to bumper at 2:30am wondering wtf? visiting friends will love that. however, i heard that the cuban/latino influence could get overwhelming since they have such a huge influence on the city. seriously, i didn't see it. i mean yeah, i could tell there was an influence but it was up to par to la standards and for some odd reason i didn't get bothered by it like i do at times here in la (note raider/laker nation types)....granted most of my time was spent in sobe. sobe to me felt like a venice beach mixed with a little santa monica. people from la on this site...can you attest to this? other things that i noticed about miami....traffic. wasn't too bad compared to la (thank god since i will be commuting to barry u). you guys sure do drive slow though. when i was there i was like "move over already". driving in sobe was nuts too with pedestrians everywhere jaywalking and all that good stuff. that might take some time to adjust cause walking in front of a car while not in a crosswalk don't fly in la. the last thing i have to mention about miami is and i don't know how you guys do it is the HEAT! wow is it humid there. when i was there it was in the low 80's with 75% humidity. you kidding me? had the feeling of "just getting out of the shower" all day. wonderful. but hey...all in all, i thought miami/sobe was a great city with even better people and i look forward to checking it out as a resident. oh yeah and the 5am bartimes. sweet.

Welcome Social Boy,

Weather in MB is hot and humid but when it gets to be fall, winter, and spring you will really appreciate it. Plus the beaches are used ALL YEAR LONG! As you say, sweet! We also have beaches here that LA only dreams about, like in Sobe women can go topless, and north of us at Haulover, you can go bottemless! Enjoy!

Wow, take a day off and the thread quintuples.

My bad on the street of the promenade in Santa Monica. I haven't been there since 2005, so things get pushed out of the memory. I will have to agree to disagree with those of you who prefer Lincoln Road to the Promenade. That boils down to taste. As I say I love nothing better than American Culture, so "International Feel" to me is a big minus.

And SoCal Boy, South Beach and Miami are totally different things. Living on the Beach is nice if you have a lot of money, because you can avoid most of the cost-inducing BS that makes life there tough. Lacking the money to live comfortably in the Beach, you are then forced to venture west into Dade. Dade, as I like to say, is the Miami reality to the South Beach fantasy. You will find plenty of Raider/Laker nation types when you get out to Kendall, Hialeah and Weschester. The word "Bro" will begin to sound like nails on a chlakboard. Go to the beach at 8th Street on a Saturday and you will see EXACTLY what I am talking about. None of those folks live in the Beach. They live in Dade.

I was almost fluent in Spanish when I moved here, actually. I had a good teacher for 2 years in HS and have good recall. I am very good with languages, actually. However, I speak exponentially less now due to my refusal to speak the language for any purpose other than getting on "Sabado Gigante." So I purposefully unlearned most of the language so as to not be forced to adapt to people who refuse to learn English.

My final point is this.....Moving to Miami after coming here on vacation is like marrying a girl you meet on a cruise who lives halfway accross the country. Yeah, you had a great time getting drunk and soaking in the sun and f-ing your brains out for a week or so. But when you have to deal with someone, or someplace, on a day-to-day basis, you find out it's not all suntans and drunken sex. And, like with women, the hottest ones are almost always the hardest to deal with for extended periods of time.

So be advised, potential newcomers. Come down, try it for a while, but I guarantee at LEAST half of you pack it up and leave in under 2 years.

Hello. I'm wondering what the north beach area is like. Would commuting to the financial area downtown or the court house area be difficult? How about other areas there like aventura, etc?

Here is my dilemma. I'd like to move to s. florida. After reading Matt's posts about how SLOW everyone there is, I'm not sure how a New Yorker who cant still still is going to handle it. But lucky for me, I am over my party days and think I can manage a slower lifestyle. Working with slow people might really grate on my nerves but the sunny weather would outweigh the slow factor.

I appreciate all of the honest tips - bad or good - and I'd like to make an informed decision so I dont become a statistic of another gringo who blew out of Miami because it was annoying to deal with the slowness, the traffic, the language barrier, etc. I am open to other ideas in outskirts of Miami or ft. lauderdale too (excluding any Redneck towns). I think going any more north is out because I need to be near that turquoise ocean area.

Thanks

The ocean keeps that turquoise gleen on it all the way up to Palm Beach, which is where the jet stream kicks in, so you could also theoretically include places like Pompano Beach, Boca Raton, and Delray Beach on your list. Those are all meccas for expat New Yorkers, so you'd be in good company. Even though much of life is slower, you'll still have many an impatient old bat honking at you for daring to slow down before you make a turn, so you'll still get that New York experience!

The drive from North Miami, NMB, Aventura, anywhere up there downtown in the morning is awful. When I lived in Little Havana (just north of downtown) I used to date this girl in North Bay Village (well south of all the above mentioned locales) and it typically took me 50 minutes door to door. If you are going to work downtown/Brickell, live there or South Beach. Maybe Key Biscayne.

No further south than the Grove either. And even then that commute is unpleasant. Just short.

If you want to look at points north, Ft. Lauderdsale and Boca are much more livable than Dade. And not far from the beach.

Dear Matt:
    thanks for the info and I appreciate your opinions. I have a couple of follow up questions:

1. What is the raiders/lakers nation feel? I think I have a suspicion of what you mean but I'm not exactly sure. (I guess I must be getting old...)

2. What makes Ft. Lauderdale and Boca more liveable than Dade? Is it the spanish language stuff, traffic, raider/laker people etc that have been discussed previously?

Would a commute from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami be unrealistic? How about any points in between, e.g. Hollywood, etc.

Thank you

Doug: The thought of moving to Boca with the haven of expat elderly NYers really sealed the deal for me. I will start picking out my vista now. I wonder if I can get a discount on being early on scoring my 55+ condo.

The thought of moving to FL is starting to really make me depressed. WTF!!

Naw, there's a lot more to those beach communities than elderly people! It's just that the elderly ones will give you the true New York experience -- if you're missing it. There are also plenty of younger types fleeing the high costs of the cities further south.

Suzanne C

Hey Socalboy- you got roped in!!!!

Matt is right about MB not being an accurate perception of Miami- latino Miami anyway. The filthy oyes as I like to call them are in the municipalities he mentioned- Kendall & Hialeah but you can also find them in the warehouse district of Medley; the South Americans can be found in Doral and if you're looking for your LA Mexican buddies, head to Homestead...super UN-PC but true....

As for the 5 am clubs, I know your in awe but clearly you need to venture off the beach the next time you're clubbing. Miami Beach establishments are required to close down by 5 am which SUCKS. Picture it- you're tanked/trashed/floored- or the Miami word crunk, and some idiot turns off the music and turns on the lights.

Mom, can I have 5 more minutes please?

It's a really sobering experience...luckily, the City of Miami has no such requirement. City clubs, like Space in downtown, are open until the last person leaves...that's usually about noon to 2pm. Yes- AFTERNOON. Actually, the Sunday morning sessions on the terrace are the bomb! Could be the reason the club has lasted for 8+ years w/out a name/management change.

Are you currently in Sobe? If not, when are you coming back? I'll be @ Space on the terrace July 6th (2 am on ?????) for Eric Morillo. I promise you it will be a night you hardly remember and can't forget lol.

As for Becca's reality show- I know he lives in Davie but he went to UM so he's kinda local- The Rock. You could also have that idiot, drunk driver Pit Bull as a guest.

The quitters should be sent home on a raft.

Wants2 -

The drive from North Beach to downtown is not the best but it's not too bad either. By North Beach I mean anything between 63rd to 89th street on Collins. You can take Collins South to Alton, then drive over the bay on the Julia Tuttle and take NE 2nd Ave to downtown.

North Beach (not North Miami Beach, that's a different city on the mainland) has a large Argentine community and a commercial section located one block off the beach with a city park/bandshell that's popular for outdoor concerts. It's not as pretty as mid or south beach, but the beach itself there is nice. There's a beautiful park called North Shore Recreation Area.

Regarding slowness, I've found there's just about every type of personality down here. Many people are chronically stressed, impatient and drive like their asses are on fire. If anything, people should slow down more.

There are a lot of transplant New Yorkers in North Miami Beach and Aventura. (I used to practice at an ice skating rink there ... so I met many New Yorkers first hand.)

But I would avoid living too far from your job, if you can help it. Less time in traffic means better quality of life. Also, you might enjoy South Beach if you're used to walking everywhere. How about West Avenue? I call that area Beachhattan because there are so many tall condos. As Matt already mentioned, Brickell would be another good option.

I hope you won't get depressed about moving here. This part of South Florida offers many wonderful things you'll be able to discover on your own once you settle in.

New User

suzy, yeah thats what i figured....the "locals" are entrenched in other areas besides mb cause in mb it ain't to bad. same here in la, you don't get that local feel when your at the beaches such as hermosa/manhattan/malibu but once you head east on the 10 and get passed basically downtown...its ghetto. so yeah, i'll be staying away from homestead then. thanks for the insight. about the nightlife....incredible. sunday morning terrace fiestas? nice. what is this....vegas? i'm usually incoherent by 4am but hey it makes people watching at that hour so much better. will be in sobe mid aug. yeah, gotta check out one of these clubs (even though i'm more of a bar/lounge guy) and see what this rage is all about.

Socalboy, this place is waaaay better than Vegas. Way better. I could write a book on why South Beach is a better time, but the lack of SoCal douchebags (no offense, I still have my 949 cell phone) is a big part of it.

And Wanttomove.....The Raider/Laker nation types are basically Hispanic trash.

Lauderdale and Boca are more livable because they are more like America than South America, basically. If you are from the US, you will likely feel more comfortable up there. I usually do. And it is not like you are moving to Naples or somewhere slow and dull. Lauderdale is still more fun than most cities you'll go to its size.

Would def. not do a drive from Hollywood or really anywhere north of MIA (Miami Airport) into Miami. Maria did give you some less-congested alternatives, but it will still take you a good deal of time. Honestly, if you are working downtown, move to Brickell or the Beach, maybe Midtown, Design District or Little Haiti. Otherwise you are asking for stress.

As a person on West, heaven on earth, its like New York only cleaner and better weather. Sort of like the upper west side on the river. After 15 years of going to Fort Lauderdale I got tired of it, frankly. Los Olas is really nice but really limited in terms of the bars, restaurants and stores. We started to spend so much time in South Beach and then drive back to Fort Lauderdale that we finally said goodbye and came south. It is really great in south beach and the area is really divided into mini-neighborhoods, like Manhattan. Every few blocks its different. The commute downtown is nothing and the views are great. I think the pace of life here is maybe too fast for many people who like the confines of Boca or West Palm Beach. I love New York and think south beach is the answer. Lastly its population is fairly young, at least on West. Makes an old fart like me really happy to be surrounded by young people.

Dear Sun -
    I think I might really like West if it is like NY but cleaner. Is that near the Whole foods? I was in that vicinity when I was there. So where are the boundaries or where should I look? I would like to see what the going rates are for rentals and to purchase.

It is so funny to hear you say that las olas got old because I felt the same way after half a day in Ft Lauderdale! That is why I started to think about Miami.

I'm applying for jobs in Miami and in Ft. Lauderdale. It will take probably some time for me to land something. I think our plan is for me to get a job, live in Brickell or south beach somewhere and kind of fly back and forth for a while until we decide we are doing it and get our house sold.

MARIA: I notice you have a bird on your shoulder. What kind of parrot? I have a yellow crowned amazon.

how do i do my photo? I updated my profile and it is not showing up.

never mind I guess i had to do it as an avatar. whatever that is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast