Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default House shopping question: those things enclosing pools?

Hello:

As I study the Miami metro real estate market prior to relocation, I see these greenhouse things enclosing pools on many properties. Do these a) indicate that the pool has A/C, b) indicate that there are ferocious mosquitoes in abundance, or c) other - ?

Thanks,

D

Hi Derrickb! Welcome to the forums.

Do you mean pool or backyard screens?

Screens serve at least two major purposes: a) keep bugs out b) keep environmental debris (leaves and so on) out, making it easier to keep the patio and pool clean.

There is no a/c in a screened-in area. Also it would not be like a greenhouse since the screen allows for air to circulate and doesn't insulate from outdoor temperatures.

Yes, there are mosquitoes here, especially in the hot, humid summer months. But there are other bugs too, naturally. The screen really helps keep them out.

New User

Thanks for your kind response, Maria.

The utility of screened porches is readily apparent - what I'd not seen before were those enclosing pools. From RE photographs, it wasn't clear that the material was screen mesh or plate glass/plexi.

I envision swarms of bloodthirsty mosquitoes!

It would be my guess that the closer one is to the ocean, the less of an issue it becomes? And that properties located near still bodies of water - lakes, stagnant canals for instance - are more likely to harbor these tiny demons?

Many thanks,

Derick

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Derick,

Those screen cage things that cover backyard swimming pools are called lanais.

Last year, my in laws installed a new lanai around their pool. I'll ask them how much they paid.

What area of the city do you want to live?

We live in Palmetto Bay and have one of the few houses in the area without a cage around the pool. Not sure why everyone has cages. The bug problem down here is no big deal.

New User

I'm watching the market. When I arrive I'll certainly rent, and learn more about the market until I think it has bottomed - then I'll swoop in. Still learning about the areas, but I know that I like older, inner neighborhoods and that I would like to be withing a mile or two of the ocean.

I've just sold my flat in San Francisco. I performed ridiculously well as an investment, but I'm done with California for a while. I see S. FL as a highly volatile RE market with an affordable ante. I think the outlook for the core city is exceptionally good - about five or ten years out.

My curiosity about the lanais, or caged pools, was to figure out if their presence would indicate excessive mosquito areas.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Derrickb
    excessive mosquito areas.
    LOL.. all of South Florida could be considered excessive mosquito areas...
    doesn't matter if you are close to water or not...The only way to beat them is to live near the ocean, usually a sea breeze is enough to keep them away...

I thought a lanai was Hawaiian for a porch or balcony. I didn't realize we called our screened-in pools the same thing. Pretty cool!

Being close to swamp areas inland where tides don't flow in and out quickly and there's not much of a breeze is a problem. If you put a bowl of water outside you'll have mosquito larvae buzzing out of that thing in no time. That's why it's important to not have any standing water around.

No-see-ums are annoying too. I lived off the Biscayne Waterway on Miami Beach and while I rarely saw a mosquito I couldn't stand on my own lawn in the summer because of the gnats.

Having a screen around your pool doesn't necessarily indicate that the bugs are particularly bad in that area. Many people just have screens, regardless. Some areas are very lush with trees so protecting the pool from debris saves a lot of time in maintenance.

Pool areas are like the "social hub" for many people down here. You might enjoy this recent thread about why pools are better than the beach. :-)

New User

Thanks for that informative and well-crafted reply. u rite reel gud!

Cheers,
    D