Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 20 yr old female - Moving without a job or place to stay

I love Miami and I would like to move there as soon as possible, but I only have some college coursework and nowhere to stay until I get on my feet, but I know ppl just up and move all the time, so I was wondering what chance I have to make it in Miami if I were to move there sometime this year? It may be stupid to think It would work out, but I don't know how much longer I can stay where I am. Help!!

Hi ShesRoyal, welcome to the forums!

Do you mean you only have college coursework to complete in VA?

The first thing you're going to need is some money to tide you over until you find work. People up and move all the time, sure, but they need $$$ in order to do that. Do you have anything saved up? If so, you'll need to rent an apt and go from there.

I don't like to discourage people, but living here and being on vacation here are two different things entirely. That's not to say that local residents don't enjoy life here, but there are aspects of daily living here that can be extremely hard if you don't have much money.

What kind of work would you be looking for? Where exactly do you want to live? Have you lived in VA all your life? Do you speak any Spanish? Do you have a car? The more information you give us about yourself and the kinds of things you want, the more we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

You might want to take a look at these threads posted by others thinking of relocating here. They will give you an idea of costs, job hunting, etc ;

Can I make $1500 a month being a waiter in Miami?

Finding a job is harder than you think

My turn to ask for relocation help

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Hi, welcome to the forums!

Do you mean you only have college coursework to complete in VA?

The first thing you're going to need is some money to tide you over until you find work. People up and move all the time, sure, but they need $$$ in order to do that. Do you have anything saved up? If so, you'll need to rent an apt and go from there.

I don't like to discourage people, but living here and being on vacation here are two different things entirely. That's not to say that local residents don't enjoy life here, but there are aspects of daily living here that can be extremely hard if you don't have much money.

What kind of work would you be looking for? Where exactly do you want to live? Have you lived in VA all your life? Do you speak any Spanish? Do you have a car? The more information you give us about yourself and the kinds of things you want, the more we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

You might want to take a look at these threads posted by others thinking of relocating here. They will give you an idea of costs, job hunting, etc ;

Can I make $1500 a month being a waiter in Miami?

Finding a job is harder than you think

My turn to ask for relocation help
    I should be getting a car before the year is up, I don't speak spanish, the only place in Miami I'm familiar with is Dade, and I only have college coursework completed here. I know I need money to hold me over, that won't be too big an issue becuase I will have plenty saved up by then. I guess I mostly mean education wise, if I only have a HS Diploma and some college work I'm wondering how far I could get.

Suzanne C

That would depend on the field and your attitude ShesRoyal410.

The field is up to you. The service industry will certainly not be stringent with 'paper' requirements.

How old are you?

There are TONS of jobs for college kids, AKA HS degree only folks, in this town from telemarketing, to sales, customer service and back to telemarketing. Do you have any work experience what-so-ever? retail? anything?

I'm assuming you'll have the attitude down given the ballsy 'up-and-move' move but you do want to be prepared in case your search doesn't go as smoothly as you'd like. Maybe you'll want to start looking for a position before moving.
    Have interviews lined up for your first week.

Having a car will help keep you mobile on the mainland which is a big plus because public transit stinks down here. Not speaking Spanish may deter you at first but it's not a requirement.

Check out these articles for a better idea of what awaits you.

Searching for Jobs in Miami-Dade

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/index.php?/news/comments/spanish-workplace/

Oh and Miami-Dade is the county that the city of Miami is in.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    That would depend on the field and your attitude.

The field is up to you. The service industry will certainly be not stringent with 'paper' requirements.

How old are you?

There are TONS of jobs for college kids, AKA HS degree only folks, in this town from telemarketing, to sales, customer service and back to telemarketing. Do you have any work experience what-so-ever? retail? anything?

I'm assuming you'll have the attitude down given the ballsy 'up-and-move' move but you do want to be prepared in case your search doesn't go as smoothly as you'd like. Maybe you'll want to start looking for a position before moving.
    Have interviews lined up for your first week.

Having a car will help keep you mobile on the mainland which is a big plus because public transit stinks down here. Not speaking Spanish may deter you at first but it's not a requirement.

Check out these articles for a better idea of what awaits you.

Searching for Jobs in Miami-Dade

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/index.php?/news/comments/spanish-workplace/

Oh and Miami-Dade is the county that the city of Miami is in.
    I'm 20, and I have retail and telemarketing experience. But it's funny, the more I'm looking through this site the more realistic it's becoming that it's not a permanent vacation. I knew it wouldn't be but the 10 things I hate about Miami article, plus the comments of ppl agreeing is making me want to stay here and finish up my education and then move. That'll probably be alot less stress. But I'll still definetely be there several times for vacation until then.

Suzy and Maria put it very nicely for you, and I love them for that, but let me give you some cold hard facts. Because you sound like you are going to be here about 8 months before you pick up and move again.

Miami is a Latin City. That doesn't mean we have a lot of Mexicans or Salvadorians like they do up in Restin, or whatever that city is called, it means that government and business, at the highest levels, are generally run by hispanics Which means if you don't speak Spanish, you are going to be an outsider. A true minority, if you will, an experience most white folks don't get unless they move down here. You may think you can handle it, but being a minority takes a lot of getting used to. And I hope you like Latin guys, because that's what you'll be dating for the most part down here. Again, it's not like a big minority group of Hispanics, it's that YOU are the minority group. You must accept that before moving.

Also, this city is expensive. Not New York expensive, but a power bill is typically $150 in the summer. Rent is going to be $700 a month until you can get a roommate. Internet and cable combined are about $100 a month. Then you have food, gas, and the like to deal with.

Without a car, life here is tough. Public transportation isn't bad, but if you end up spending all your time on busses, and living in some nondescript suburb with no English-speaking neighbors, and don't know anyone so you can't get a ride to go out, you will not enjoy life here very much. And you will head back north to where it's "normal" in 8 months like so many others I have seen try what you are trying.

I'm not saying don't move (ok, yes I am) but if you want to try it make sure you have about 5-6 grand saved up. It can typically take 4-6 months to find work here, longer if you don't speak Spanish. Maybe have a job lines up, and understand that living here is not at all like coming on vacation, nor is it like living anywhere else in the US. I think coming without a job or car or money is a terrible idea, and will really sour you on Miami. This is NOT an easy place to live, and it's a lot harder when you have to scrap for money.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    Suzy and Maria put it very nicely for you, and I love them for that, but let me give you some cold hard facts. Because you sound like you are going to be here about 8 months before you pick up and move again.

Miami is a Latin City. That doesn't mean we have a lot of Mexicans or Salvadorians like they do up in Restin, or whatever that city is called, it means that government and business, at the highest levels, are generally run by hispanics Which means if you don't speak Spanish, you are going to be an outsider. A true minority, if you will, an experience most white folks don't get unless they move down here. You may think you can handle it, but being a minority takes a lot of getting used to. And I hope you like Latin guys, because that's what you'll be dating for the most part down here. Again, it's not like a big minority group of Hispanics, it's that YOU are the minority group. You must accept that before moving.

Also, this city is expensive. Not New York expensive, but a power bill is typically $150 in the summer. Rent is going to be $700 a month until you can get a roommate. Internet and cable combined are about $100 a month. Then you have food, gas, and the like to deal with.

Without a car, life here is tough. Public transportation isn't bad, but if you end up spending all your time on busses, and living in some nondescript suburb with no English-speaking neighbors, and don't know anyone so you can't get a ride to go out, you will not enjoy life here very much. And you will head back north to where it's "normal" in 8 months like so many others I have seen try what you are trying.

I'm not saying don't move (ok, yes I am) but if you want to try it make sure you have about 5-6 grand saved up. It can typically take 4-6 months to find work here, longer if you don't speak Spanish. Maybe have a job lines up, and understand that living here is not at all like coming on vacation, nor is it like living anywhere else in the US. I think coming without a job or car or money is a terrible idea, and will really sour you on Miami. This is NOT an easy place to live, and it's a lot harder when you have to scrap for money.
    Well I'm African American so I'm pretty used to being a minority, but my major is Administration of Justice and there's always going to be criminals, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble finding a job when I get there. But I'm well aware of the money and transportation issue. I do plan to have a car by the end of this year and will definetely have one before I move to Miami. But other than that I think I'm going to wait until I get my degree.

Suzanne C

That's a smart girl.

The last thing you want is to move down here, get caught in the glitz and not finish school at all.

Having a HS degree only is acceptable at age 20. At 40, it makes having a respectable wage a tad difficult.

Finish your degree and then come back because you're right, there will certainly never be a shortage of positions in the fieldS of justice down here.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    That's a smart girl.

The last thing you want is to move down here, get caught in the glitz and not finish school at all.

Having a HS degree only is acceptable at age 20. At 40, it makes having a respectable wage a tad difficult.

Finish your degree and then come back because you're right, there will certainly never be a shortage of positions in the fieldS of justice down here.
    Yea, I appreciate the advice you all gave me. South Florida's still my favorite place to be.

Solid idea. Although I will say being African American down here is even tougher than being white. Miami is far and away the most racist city I've ever been to. But good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

Hi ShesRoyal,

I applaud you for your decision. You are young and have a whole life ahead of you.

The next thing I was going to tell you was to get your degree first and worry about the stress and culture shock of relocation later! Who knows ... life could lead you to many interesting places, Miami being one of them.

Please keep us posted though. You have friends here! :cheese:

New User

Thanx, I appreciate it :)

tdegrace

Try out this website, it has some info about relocating to miami.

Miami Relocation

Good luck to you! :)