Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Making the move from Scottsdale, AZ to Miami...Where to begin?

Hello!
    Where to begin? I guess that is the ultimate question, I am planning on moving to Miami in the beginning of 08 (approx. a year from now) and have no idea what steps to take. I will be driving cross country from Arizona, and will be looking for an apprenticeship at a salon in the area. Any advice would be great. I am a young single gal looking forward to living by the beach!

Thanks!!!

Hi Brittany,

Well the first thing you should do is come to Miami! Spend a few days looking for a place to live and visiting different spas/salons. In 2007 and 2008 there are many new spas opening up so you timing could not be better!

You probably will want to rent a place and there are a variety of great options. For example, if you want to live in the middle of all the action and be directly on the ocean, Roney Palace, and Decoplage would be great places to check out. If you want to live on the bay, take a look at the buildings on West Ave. From Arizona to Miami, you really should jump right into things and live in South Beach.

Best of luck!

HI there! I agree. My suggestion to you would be to scout out the apprenticeship first and then find a place nearby to live. Commuting can be tough in Miami, but on South Beach there's even an electric bus that takes people around.

There are probably hundreds of salons in all of Miami Beach. I really don't know much about that business, but surely coming here and networking sounds like a start.

Hi Britney,

Van Michael is an Aveda salon in South Beach that has a program called "New Talents". You have to complete their training program to work there. I don't know what that entails but it's a great salon. Let us know if you have any other questions. :-)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Britney! I did a similar drive from California to Miami 5 years ago. The City has treated me well. Despite what's often said, there's still lot's of opportunity here.

To find a place to live, start searching Craigslist 2 months before you want to come.

As far as finding a hair salon internship, Stella, is a popular beauty salon in South Beach. There's an Aveda on Lincoln Road, and a posh beauty salon in the Bal Harbour Shops, but the name escapes me.