Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 2 gay boiz from Houston

monogamous couple 46 & 39, will be moving from Houston to Miami in January.

We currently live in a part of town that is politely called "transitional," with tattoo parlors, recycled fashion stores, and an excess of colourful characters. We're looking for something like that in Miami, and not South Beach. Having lots of ethnic restaurants within walking distance would be great too.

Ideally the area would be fairly close to Doral and the airport.

Specific suggestions?

Design District summed up everything you just mentioned. Look it up. I live close to that area and will be moving soon so maybe you guys can rent my place? I live on the water and it's great!

If you guys like to party one of the closest gay clubs around you is in downtown, Discoteka. Oh and I forgot the new Boulevard that's by Biscayne Blvd and 79th street on the west side of Biscayne.

It's not so close to the airport BUUUT. It's right next to the 112 highway which leads you directly to the airport and Doral in 15 minutes. Plus since you will be in the downtown area, in the morning and afternoon you will be against traffic. Everyone enters downtown as you will be leaving in the AM and everyone leaves as you will be entering in the PM.

ps- Let me know when you make it here. About 80% of my friend circle is made of of gay men.

I love my friends. We have a blast together.

I'll introduce you to everyone so you have a nice group of friends when you come over to MIA. They are all concierges in Miami so you'll be well taken care of! They know all the places to go and where to stay away from. lol.

Hi storkdoc, welcome to the forums! The area Kristine mentioned on Biscayne Boulevard between 79th street and 54th is up and coming and has all the things you mentioned, plus it's very gay friendly. The only trouble is that the area is still somewhat "ghetto" and not exactly the safest place but there are some nice buildings in the area and some gated communities ... so it's mixed. That being said, however, you will find colorful characters there for sure.

I'm not very familiar with the Doral area but I believe it's got a particularly heavy Hispanic concentration and is rather suburban/homogenous. The quirkier neighborhoods in Miami are closer to the bay on the east side of the county and of course the beach.

The only other area I can think of that you might enjoy is Coconut Grove, but that's a stretch from Doral although not so bad for the airport.

New User

Thank you very much, ladies. You've been a great help.

I had originally slated the house hunting trip to include SoBe, Design, Brikell, and Coconut Grove. You've essentially confirmed my initial impressions.

So Kristine...if your concierge friends could pick any reasonably priced building with reasonable monthly assessments, which one would they pick? I'm looking at Vue (online) and it seems to fit the bill. We're still unsure if we want to rent for a year or plunge in and snap up a bargain condo.

all my lovely friends live in the beach. They are SoBE and SoFi concierges. One of them, actually live sright next door to our MB411 offices.

They find tiny cute little apts and move in to them so they can walk to work.

The VUE is nice. I also heard that the Opera building is decently priced and once the Omni shops open back up... That'll be an AMAZING area. They plan to re-open in 2010... Word has it, Wal-mart will be movin' on in there.

New User

My husband has to manage to keep from getting laid off or becoming bored with his job. Screw 2010. I'm worried about 2009! 7 jobs in the last 10 years, albeit all with a pay raise. Oy vey!

That was me until I walked in to the concierge profession.

He has not found what he wants to do in life... once he does... he will never want to leave! I love what I do because I have different challenges and different people to conquer each and every day. You just totally need to be a people person so be able to smile and answer the same question 8 thousand times a day!

Then of course there is my extended family at Miami Beach 411. They are so accomodating and wonderful. I love spending a few hours a week with them!!