Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default *HELP*, Moving to Miami June to Sept 2009!

:-) Hi everyone, How's it going?

My name is Catherine, i'm 22 years old, i'm from Ireland and looking to move to Miami Beach(or wherever is good to live in Miami??) to work and live for the summer months June to Sept 2009... i will need somewhere to Rent and the best place to find jobs and nightlife and of course shopping??? does anyone have any advice for me!! I can't wait to go... if anyone has any tips, websites or other information, could you please get in touch... Takecare :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Irish
    :-) Hi everyone, How's it going?

My name is Catherine, i'm 22 years old, i'm from Ireland and looking to move to Miami Beach(or wherever is good to live in Miami??) to work and live for the summer months June to Sept 2009... i will need somewhere to Rent and the best place to find jobs and nightlife and of course shopping??? does anyone have any advice for me!! I can't wait to go... if anyone has any tips, websites or other information, could you please get in touch... Takecare :)
    Hi Catherine, welcome! South Beach is always the best area when you're coming in without knowing South Florida very well, because it's very compact, easy-to-get-around, and everything is right there...great restaurants, nightlife, beaches, culture, etc...

I also recommend being a little buffered from the middle of the party, which happens on Collins, Washington and Ocean mostly. On the west side, Alton Road and West are pretty busy, also, with more "locals" stuff. I found my best spot was in the area just south or just east of Flamingo Park. It wasn't as congested, but still walkable to all the points of interest.

Variables might include the following: do you have family, or do you want to live more of a single-oriented lifestyle? What type of work do you want to do? Do you like to walk or do you prefer to get around in the car? South Beach is good for walking, but driving can be a pain.

Mid-Beach is another option; it's quieter, more residential, and more removed from the nightlife. You'll probably find yourself cabbing it if you want to experience the South Beach nightlife.

Here's an article I wrote about how I moved to South Beach.

Oh, and one other thing: I always tell my Irish friends to be careful about telling people you'd like to find some "good crack" in South Florida. It means something completely different!

New User

Hi Doug thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly!!

I'm a single girl and will be going out to Miami myself, but friends may join me later once i get settled.. I'm really outgoing, i've heard about the nightlife in Miami, and can't wait to get out and about!! I probably won't have a car so if everything's in walking distance it would suit me perfect!
    I have no family, and would be looking to spend around $800-$1000 per month on rent for a studio or apartment, aslong as it is clean and pretty close to everything!!
    Any work i can get really would be a bonus as I have alot of Retail experience and my current job is an Administrator in an Accountants office, and have had some experience in bars/pubs in the past!
    I have also been a trained volunteer counsellor for a charity organisation over here called 'ChildLine', it is held for young people throughout Ireland and the UK, so in my spare time over there i would love to be apart of getting involved in some time of helping work if possible? Whether Voluntary or not!

oh and thanks for the tip, about the 'good crack', i went to Oregon a few years ago and asked my boss where do you find good crack? Which i later had to explain, so i learned that the hard way :-)

Glad to help! I'm sure you're aware that our economy is in a very bad place right now, so I would definitely bring a nest egg along with you. Spanish skills are also a plus, if you plan to work in the service industry. Volunteering is probably the best way to meet quality people, because they (mostly) have their hearts in the right place. The people you'll meet in nightclubs, however, are often pirhannas, and require a good deal of scrutiny...

The range you suggested should find you a nice studio or one bedroom. You might want to get a hotel for the first few nights, while you scout out some neighborhoods on foot. My favorite is the neighborhood just south of Flamingo Park, because it's very peaceful, yet walkable to everything. However, if you want a high rise situation, you may prefer to look on West Avenue, between about 8th and Lincoln Road.

What part of Ireland are you visiting from? I've been there a couple of times. I stayed at the Young Traveller Hostel in Dublin -- on Mountjoy near O'Connell Street by the Black Church (not sure if it's still there!) and went out to County Wicklow and Galway. On another trip, I took a ferry down from Stranraer, Scotland to Belfast -- unfortunately, during marching season, but I was fortunately able to get where I wanted to go...down to Armagh to visit an ancestral home, and back again to Dublin. I'd love to go back one day soon and see the places I missed, like Cork...and also the Cliffs of Moher. Scotland was also a wonderful experience.

New User

Okay so around Flamingo Park seems to be pretty ideal then?? and i've heard quite a few people on about Lincoln Road, so i'm guessing that must be a pretty popular place too!! Is better to apply and look for jobs before i go to Miami or is it just a waste of time? would it be better to wait until i arrive there?

Also is there any gyms or dance classes i could take to saty fit and have a bit of fun?

I'm visiting from Derry city, it's right next to County Donegal, Ireland is a beautiful place it's just the weather that's not so nice! Dublins pretty amazing, i was there last weekend, we always have a laugh down there, but i have never been to Scotland, but i love their accent!! Well if you ever want to come to Ireland, i can give you alot of information in return.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

It's easiest to get the service jobs just by showing up in person. One factor I was just thinking about regarding getting an apartment is that a lot of landlords expect you to have a job before you get the apartment. However, if it's a short lease and you have a few thousand in the bank, I'm sure they'll overlook that. You might even look into a summer sublet situation. Check on craigslist for those.

I don't know about your visa situation, but if you do plan to work under the table, it's apparently fairly easy to do in the service industry, but not really a possibility in administration work. Just putting that out there...

New User

Well anytime just let me know!!

I have sent away for my Visa but its just a J1 Visa it allows you to work for up to six months but i will only be there for four months anyway, so thanks!

I suppose it could do no harm to start applying from here then once i get my Visa, as i think i would rest easy knowing i had a job when i go out there, knowing i'd have an income, would mean i could stay in a hotel for longer until i could actually view an apartment!!

Is there many gyms or dance classes to have a bit of fun and to keep fit?

Sounds good! Maybe with a J1 you could get a nice administrative situation over the summer.

There are tons of gyms in South Beach. Here's a list of them. You might like to try a salsa class or a yoga class, also. Maria (one of our members) has some details on those.

New User

That's great, can't wait!! Thank you so much for all your help, i'll be in touch no doubt once i get everything arranged over these next few months...
    Really looking forward to Miami now. Takecare for now :coolsmile:

Take care, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have!

Hi Cat Irish, welcome to the forums!

What the heck does "crack" mean over there? I'm so curious to know!

If you are going to be living in South Beach, I strongly suggest you concentrate your work efforts near there or downtown. Public transport is not so great in Miami. Your life will be one long bus ride if you live in South Beach but get a job in Kendall, for example. You might as well just live in the bus!

There are a number of gyms in South Beach and some yoga studios. But since you are coming next year, it's best to discuss those once you get here, because businesses can close.

I would suggest you call the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce and talk to them about contacting businesses for a summer position. Our local newspaper, Herald.com uses careerbuilder.com as its job engine.

There are plenty of volunteer organizations in Miami too.

Doug is right, bring a sizeable nest egg and stay in a hotel a few days, ready to make your short-term rental deposit. I don't mean to discourage you but sometimes it takes people just four months to *find* a job. So with a guaranteed visa, I would start networking NOW.

Good luck and keep us posted!

New User

Hi Maria, thank you for welcoming me also, it's my first time really using forums!

oh and if you say over here i just want to have 'some crack?' it means like you want to have a laugh, like some fun, we spell it differently though 'craic'.

I think i would feel alot more at ease if i had a job before i go over there, because when i went to Oregon a few years ago i had a job and a place to rent, it was alot easier then to settle in!

Thank you for the useful information, and Doug has been a great help also. I will be in touch though and keep you updated. Oh and i take it having a 'sizeable nest egg' means bringing alot of money?

Hope all is well with you. Takecare for now :-)

Hi Cat

Oh, that make sense ... we use the phrase "crack me up" which means "making me laugh a lot" ... there's also the phrase "a wise crack" which means a sarcastic/funny comment.

Yes, nest egg means saved up money.

No, just bring a large egg and keep it in the corner! ha ha

Yeah, some savings to get you through any unplanned rough spots. Also, the larger your bank balance is, the easier it will be to qualify for an apartment. They'll know you're not a risky tenant.

New User

ha ha i was just checking incase u meant something else, so i'll just bring a large egg and bring it over with me! :lol:

That's cool though i've been saving anyway, and i'm working full time right up until i go to Miami so i should have alot more saved by then!!

New User

Hey, i was wondering do you know anything about vacationrentals.com? If so, is it trustworthy enough or would you have to check it out thoroughly as i have seen a good few rentals in collins ave & Lincoln road...
    just if you have any feedback, Thanks again

Hey, i was wondering do you know anything about vacationrentals.com? If so, is it trustworthy enough or would you have to check it out thoroughly as i have seen a good few rentals in collins ave & Lincoln road...
    just if you have any feedback, Thanks again
    I don't really know much about them one way or the other. What you do have to be wary of are the Nigerian con artists who will use craigslist, ebay or any free classified system to try to bilk you out of your money. Some of their common tricks with rentals include pretending to be a landlord renting out a really luxurious property for a great rate (which doesn't really exist...or if it does, it isn't theirs) which they want you to send some money to hold it -- and they will also pretend to be prospective tenants, who will send phony cashiers checks, sometimes over the amount and wanting you to remit a portion of it to someone else, etc. The best way to avoid those kinds of scams is to do your business in person. While I don't think vacationrentals.com is a scam, you never know who might be listing something on their site...

I don't know anything about vacationrentals.com either. You may be better off negotiating a short-term contract with a private owner. And by contract I do mean literally a piece of paper that you sign that will protect you as well as the owner. I'm assuming you'll want something furnished, so you should probably focus your search on furnished short-term rentals.

New User

hey anyone, know great place or area to look for a place to rent for a few months form June-August 2009, that's within walking distance to shops, beach and nightlife?? (I know it's alot to ask)...

Would be great if you could help!!
    - Miami Beach: Collins Ave & 63rd Street, "Millionaire's Row"?
    - South Beach on 15th Street between Drexel and Pennsylvania Ave?

Have you heard of these places/areas? would you have any infotmation on them. Would really appreciate though, thank you.

hey anyone, know great place or area to look for a place to rent for a few months form June-August 2009, that's within walking distance to shops, beach and nightlife?? (I know it's alot to ask)...

Would be great if you could help!!
    - Miami Beach: Collins Ave & 63rd Street, "Millionaire's Row"?
    - South Beach on 15th Street between Drexel and Pennsylvania Ave?

Have you heard of these places/areas? would you have any infotmation on them. Would really appreciate though, thank you.
    If you want to be able to walk to the nightlife, I'd definitely go for the South Beach location. Otherwise, you'll be close to some nice eats and the beach, but it's more residential and quiet in that area of Collins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast