Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Colleges closest to Miami Beach

Not sure exactly what I want to go for, but was curious as to what colleges are the easiest to commute to from South Beach? I already have an associate of arts degree in liberal arts...the few that I have seriously contemplated on are Finance, Psychology, Marketing, Hospitality...any feedback?

Hospitality - FIU North Campus.

That's what I'm studying.

The rest... I'm sure you can study at FIU but it may be the South Campus which is far as (bleep) from the Beach! Buuuut.... on a positive note, you will be heading west in the morning against traffic and east in the afternoon against major traffic again.

The downside is the amount of tolls you pay daily! 5 tolls just for one day at school. (toll by 107 there and back, toll on 8th street there and back (unless you get off at 107 and save this toll) and toll plaza by Downtown on the way back only)

University of Miamiis your best bet for psychology or finance, and though expensive is not a horrible commute from South Beach.

Barry University is also not a bad drive, just up I-95.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

You can also study Marketing at the Miami Ad School located in South Beach on Alton Road.

For a career in the hospitality industry, I would recommend on-the-job-training.

To see a birds eye view of colleges and universities near Miami Beach, take a look at the map on the bottom of this page -

http://www.miamibeach411.com/directory/colleges.htm

Johnson & Wales isn't that far either, its near FIU's North Campus. They have hospitality, business and marketing.

If you are looking for a school with many choices, check out University of Miami or FIU. You could also do Miami-Dade College, Wolfson campus to get a feel for what you want to do and knock some electives out of the way first.

Suzanne C

I beg to differ Matt: Carlos Albizu University is best for psychology in this town.

Here's the scoop Lacye. The following programs are award winning:

UM: Marine Sciences, Law, Medicine, & Music...and athletics I guess.

FIU: International Studies, Teaching and their Nursing program is climbing the ranks. Their hospitality program is ok but you'll learn more with on-the-job training. (They have a new law program and a medical program beginning in 2009).

St Thomas: Law, Law, Catholic Studies and did I mention Law?

You're somewhat equidistant from all of them if you're on Miami Beach. The times you travel are more important than the distance in this town. You'll want to head north or west in the morning hours and east or south in the evening hours.

What this means: no night classes. NEVER. As long as you stick to morning classes, or at least head out to the school in the morning, you'll have minimal issues.

Note: St Thomas, Carlos Albizu University and FIU's University Park campus are all located right off of a major expressway.

Suzy, at least when I was at UM, they had the second highest-funded psych department in the country, next to Univ. of Washington. Now, that may not make it the best, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt either.

Thank you so much for all your advice! I'll keep the heading north and south times stucked away for future reference because I'm sure I'll run into that for other things as well! Thanks so much guys!